1150 users online (242 members and 908 guests)  

Websleuths News

Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth. Buddha

Finally Newspapers might be doing something about on line vile comments

Don't you hate going to a newspaper and reading the comments and it reads like something from a drunken boys locker room party? I do. It looks like things may be changing for on-line comments.

http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_14944911
    Websleuths is TEMPORARILY accepting donations.

CLICK HERE
    to visit our GoFundMe page

OR

Hi tricia, do you remember the two lawsuits that were happening last year about online comments? I think there were threads here on both. I need to dig those up and see what news we have for them.

Thanks for posting. I'm very curious to see if new legislation will come about because of the problem you posted above. I see a lot of inappropriate comments made on online newspaper articles and topix as well. This will be interesting to watch as it unfolds. Hopefully we won't have a kneejerk reaction that would effect boards and forums that comment on crime and missing persons though. KWIM?

They need to do something. As they are, they offer nothing positive for news sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    Hi tricia, do you remember the two lawsuits that were happening last year about online comments? I think there were threads here on both. I need to dig those up and see what news we have for them.

Thanks for posting. I'm very curious to see if new legislation will come about because of the problem you posted above. I see a lot of inappropriate comments made on online newspaper articles and topix as well. This will be interesting to watch as it unfolds. Hopefully we won't have a kneejerk reaction that would effect boards and forums that comment on crime and missing persons though. KWIM?
    IIRC it was a topix forum that was court ordered to give the private info of posters who were seriously bashing a couple who were found innocent based on a jury trial of rape. There is a thread somewhere here about those who were id'd who thought they could 'hide' behind a computer and were anonymous. You're right it was a few years ago, and I am certain is was pushed because the couple were not only being harrased but intimidated by only comments.

I can't recall if this was through a subpeona issued to topix or an 'online search warrant' issued to gain access to who was posting the ugly stuff. I hope someone can find and bump/link the old thread.

I think LE is in the search warrant phase and have their own techs if a site hoster is not responding to cease and desist or allowing libelous posts. At least in some communities where necessary.

It may be slow but LE is catching up with technology faster and faster.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.