863 users online (93 members and 770 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

The Charges

Please discuss the charges here.

Have the docs on the 3 others been released yet?

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    Well the DA brought the charges. One would think DA should presumably have some evidence, otherwise, how can she bring charges?
    I would think that the only evidence is hearsay, which in most jurisdictions is inadmissable. The DA can bring about any charges they want but unless the boy confesses the charge will eventually be dismissed.

I think the main reason they are charging the boys with this is so that they can try to intimidate them. It sort of like bullying, but targeting the alleged bullies themselves, kind of reversing the situation. And even if the charges are thrown out, the charge will still remain on record and the social stigma will still remain.

According to the People article below, she was shoved into lockers. I would think that would be considered bodily harm.

"One week before her suicide, the torments grew: Phoebe was shoved into lockers"
    http://www.people.com/people/article...360860,00.html
    When one door closes another opens. But often we look so long so regretfully upon the closed door that we fail to see the one that has opened for us.
    Helen Keller

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by WaddupYo View Post
    Have the docs on the 3 others been released yet?
    No. And I get no answer when I ask for a release date. There's a reason it's not public record or subject to public release; I suspect it has to do with the sex-by-minor and privacy issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerkraut2 View Post
    No. And I get no answer when I ask for a release date. There's a reason it's not public record or subject to public release; I suspect it has to do with the sex-by-minor and privacy issues.
    I just can't wait to read it. I just can't.

Well the DA brought the charges. One would think DA should presumably have some evidence, otherwise, how can she bring charges?

Jenny, dear... the DA did not bring the charges; the grand jury did.

The can throwing is a charge for which Longe specifically is charged. A local reporter is trying to follow up on the specific meaning of the civil rights charges but has yet to get a response from the DA's office. I wonder if the video cameras described in the student news paper captured some activity and disclosing the meaning might tip the DA's hand and reduce her negotiating position.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerkraut2 View Post
    Jenny, dear... the DA did not bring the charges; the grand jury did.

The can throwing is a charge for which Longe specifically is charged. A local reporter is trying to follow up on the specific meaning of the civil rights charges but has yet to get a response from the DA's office. I wonder if the video cameras described in the student news paper captured some activity and disclosing the meaning might tip the DA's hand and reduce her negotiating position.
    Sauerkarut, dear,
    Grand jury doesn't bring charges on its own.
    DA goes to the grand jury and asks for an indictment. The grand jury then decides whether "true bill" it or not.
    [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_jury[/ame]
    Last edited by jjenny; 04-27-2010 at 07:39 PM.

Precisely BECAUSE this case is atypical, IMO the Grand Jury would need to be substantially satisfied with the "evidence" presented...in order for the D.A. to GET the indictments.

That alone suggests to me there's a LOT of real solid evidence to come.

Quote Originally Posted by stmarysmead View Post
    Precisely BECAUSE this case is atypical, IMO the Grand Jury would need to be substantially satisfied with the "evidence" presented...in order for the D.A. to GET the indictments.

That alone suggests to me there's a LOT of real solid evidence to come.
    I fail to see why that would be so.

I fail to see why that would be so.
    The Grand Jury deciding to proceed given what was given to them as evidence says much. The DA has enough to continue on with charges against those named. We are not privy to all that has been presented and will not know until this case resumes in the future.

It doesn't matter if you fail to see so, but the Grand Jury has. In their opinion...

imvho
    "I went to the bank and asked to borrow a cup of money. They said, "What for?". I said, "I'm going to buy some sugar".

Quote Originally Posted by OrdinaryLife View Post
    The Grand Jury deciding to proceed given what was given to them as evidence says much. The DA has enough to continue on with charges against those named. We are not privy to all that has been presented and will not know until this case resumes in the future.

It doesn't matter if you fail to see so, but the Grand Jury has. In their opinion...

imvho
    I presume that what I think matters just about as much as what anybody else on this board thinks, unless they have a direct connection to this case. Regarding the grand jury system, a lot of jurisdictions substituted that with preliminary hearings, which to me seems a more fair system, since preliminary hearings allow defense to present its side as well. Also, preliminary hearings don't go on in secret. With grand jury, public has no idea what evidence was presented.
    Last edited by jjenny; 04-27-2010 at 09:24 PM.

I presume that what I think matters just about as much as what anybody else on this board thinks, unless they have a direct connection to this case. Regarding the grand jury system, a lot of jurisdictions substituted that with preliminary hearings, which to me seems a more fair system, since preliminary hearings allow defense to present its side as well. Also, preliminary hearings don't go on in secret. With grand jury, public has no idea what evidence was presented.
    Apparently, you misunderstood my response. I was disagreeing with your point, not (nor ever stated or implied) that your opinion doesn't matter. I quoted your post and gave my opinion.

Topic was Grand Jury and I responded to that. It had nothing to do with the preliminary hearings. Which, in fact, would not be occuring without the Grand Jury's agreement that the DA had enough cause to pursue.

imvho
    "I went to the bank and asked to borrow a cup of money. They said, "What for?". I said, "I'm going to buy some sugar".

Quote Originally Posted by OrdinaryLife View Post
    Apparently, you misunderstood my response. I was disagreeing with your point, not (nor ever stated or implied) that your opinion doesn't matter. I quoted your post and gave my opinion.

Topic was Grand Jury and I responded to that. It had nothing to do with the preliminary hearings. Which, in fact, would not be occuring without the Grand Jury's agreement that the DA had enough cause to pursue.

imvho
    Preliminary hearing is an alternative method to obtain an indictment instead of grand jury. In some jurisdictions DA can obtain an indictment by either a grand jury or by preliminary hearing.
    [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preliminary_hearing[/ame]
    Last edited by jjenny; 04-27-2010 at 10:12 PM.

Preliminary hearing is an alternative method to obtain an indictment that can be used instead of grand jury.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preliminary_hearing
    DA chose the Grand Jury. Her perogative and for reasons, I think, will come out in the future.

imvho

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast