Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 40 of 40

Thread: Indictments and Charges

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,916
    Precisely BECAUSE this case is atypical, IMO the Grand Jury would need to be substantially satisfied with the "evidence" presented...in order for the D.A. to GET the indictments.

    That alone suggests to me there's a LOT of real solid evidence to come.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to stmarysmead For This Useful Post:


  3. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    18,574
    Quote Originally Posted by stmarysmead View Post
    Precisely BECAUSE this case is atypical, IMO the Grand Jury would need to be substantially satisfied with the "evidence" presented...in order for the D.A. to GET the indictments.

    That alone suggests to me there's a LOT of real solid evidence to come.
    I fail to see why that would be so.

  4. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    5,765
    Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    I fail to see why that would be so.
    The Grand Jury deciding to proceed given what was given to them as evidence says much. The DA has enough to continue on with charges against those named. We are not privy to all that has been presented and will not know until this case resumes in the future.

    It doesn't matter if you fail to see so, but the Grand Jury has. In their opinion...

    imvho
    "I went to the bank and asked to borrow a cup of money. They said, "What for?". I said, "I'm going to buy some sugar".

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to OrdinaryLife For This Useful Post:


  6. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    18,574
    Quote Originally Posted by OrdinaryLife View Post
    The Grand Jury deciding to proceed given what was given to them as evidence says much. The DA has enough to continue on with charges against those named. We are not privy to all that has been presented and will not know until this case resumes in the future.

    It doesn't matter if you fail to see so, but the Grand Jury has. In their opinion...

    imvho
    I presume that what I think matters just about as much as what anybody else on this board thinks, unless they have a direct connection to this case. Regarding the grand jury system, a lot of jurisdictions substituted that with preliminary hearings, which to me seems a more fair system, since preliminary hearings allow defense to present its side as well. Also, preliminary hearings don't go on in secret. With grand jury, public has no idea what evidence was presented.
    Last edited by jjenny; 04-27-2010 at 09:24 PM.

  7. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    5,765
    Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    I presume that what I think matters just about as much as what anybody else on this board thinks, unless they have a direct connection to this case. Regarding the grand jury system, a lot of jurisdictions substituted that with preliminary hearings, which to me seems a more fair system, since preliminary hearings allow defense to present its side as well. Also, preliminary hearings don't go on in secret. With grand jury, public has no idea what evidence was presented.
    Apparently, you misunderstood my response. I was disagreeing with your point, not (nor ever stated or implied) that your opinion doesn't matter. I quoted your post and gave my opinion.

    Topic was Grand Jury and I responded to that. It had nothing to do with the preliminary hearings. Which, in fact, would not be occuring without the Grand Jury's agreement that the DA had enough cause to pursue.

    imvho
    "I went to the bank and asked to borrow a cup of money. They said, "What for?". I said, "I'm going to buy some sugar".

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OrdinaryLife For This Useful Post:


  9. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    18,574
    Quote Originally Posted by OrdinaryLife View Post
    Apparently, you misunderstood my response. I was disagreeing with your point, not (nor ever stated or implied) that your opinion doesn't matter. I quoted your post and gave my opinion.

    Topic was Grand Jury and I responded to that. It had nothing to do with the preliminary hearings. Which, in fact, would not be occuring without the Grand Jury's agreement that the DA had enough cause to pursue.

    imvho
    Preliminary hearing is an alternative method to obtain an indictment instead of grand jury. In some jurisdictions DA can obtain an indictment by either a grand jury or by preliminary hearing.
    [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preliminary_hearing[/ame]
    Last edited by jjenny; 04-27-2010 at 10:12 PM.

  10. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    5,765
    Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    Preliminary hearing is an alternative method to obtain an indictment that can be used instead of grand jury.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preliminary_hearing
    DA chose the Grand Jury. Her perogative and for reasons, I think, will come out in the future.

    imvho
    "I went to the bank and asked to borrow a cup of money. They said, "What for?". I said, "I'm going to buy some sugar".

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to OrdinaryLife For This Useful Post:


  12. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,783
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauerkraut2 View Post
    No. And I get no answer when I ask for a release date. There's a reason it's not public record or subject to public release; I suspect it has to do with the sex-by-minor and privacy issues.
    But Kayla didn't rape...why would hers not be released?


    In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

  13. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    272
    I do want to see Kayla's report

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to WaddupYo For This Useful Post:


  15. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,783
    I just find it very strange the 2 'sports stars' charges have not been released.


    In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    272
    Yes it is a little odd that the 3 still have not been released. I really wonder why. I want to read Kayla's.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    65
    The legal documents that we've seen so far aren't the indictments or actual charges. They are motions for joinder of the deliquency charges with the youthful offender charges. They don't include the whole of the charges, just the information from the charges that supports joinder (i.e. trying both sets of charges at the same time)

    Definition of 'Legal Motion': http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_%28legal%29 - basically, it means 'bringing an issue before the courts'.

    Definition of 'Joinder' in criminal cases: [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joinder[/ame] - "Joinder in criminal law is a legal term which refers to the inclusion of additional counts or additional defendants on an indictment."

    So, I don't think we're waiting to see 3 criminal indictments in this case. I think we're waiting to see all six.

  18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MaureenN For This Useful Post:


  19. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,783
    Thanks, Maureen. After reading your post, I recall you had explained that earlier on, thread #1 or #2, maybe...I had forgotten.

    So, is this a normal procedure, in your opinion, Maureen? Or do we usually see more by now...this feels like the sahara compared to the ocean of discovery in the KC case...


    In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

  20. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladine View Post
    Thanks, Maureen. After reading your post, I recall you had explained that earlier on, thread #1 or #2, maybe...I had forgotten.

    So, is this a normal procedure, in your opinion, Maureen? Or do we usually see more by now...this feels like the sahara compared to the ocean of discovery in the KC case...
    I have no idea if this is normal or not. I don't usually follow criminal cases this closely. This one just intrigued me - maybe because of the ages of my children (and nieces & nephews) & my involvement in our school district here in town, maybe because of my own past, long ago in school...

    It is maddening that this tidbit of info was released, but not the rest of it. I have no idea what is normally released to the public, though (or when). Especially maddening, I think, because people in discussions seem to be making all kinds of assumptions about the charges based on these documents, when really this could just be a sliver of info used to support the motion - not the entirety of the charges (or evidence) at all.

  21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MaureenN For This Useful Post:


  22. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,783
    Quote Originally Posted by MaureenN View Post
    I have no idea if this is normal or not. I don't usually follow criminal cases this closely. This one just intrigued me - maybe because of the ages of my children (and nieces & nephews) & my involvement in our school district here in town, maybe because of my own past, long ago in school...

    It is maddening that this tidbit of info was released, but not the rest of it. I have no idea what is normally released to the public, though (or when). Especially maddening, I think, because people in discussions seem to be making all kinds of assumptions about the charges based on these documents, when really this could just be a sliver of info used to support the motion - not the entirety of the charges (or evidence) at all.
    Agreed. I will pop over to another WS forum later...maybe tomorrow...and see if anyone from MA is around...and if they may know what the normal procedure is...just curious, is all...


    In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-11-2010, 12:55 AM
  2. The Indictment and Charges
    By JBean in forum Somer Renee Thompson
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-16-2010, 01:53 PM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-04-2010, 01:43 PM
  4. FBI charges vs LE charges
    By skygirl in forum Caylee Anthony 2 years old
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-07-2008, 08:48 PM
  5. No Charges for 10 yr. old arsonist
    By Squishified in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-15-2007, 04:47 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •