Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 613
  1. #151
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hampton, VA
    Posts
    116
    Nevermind, I found his address. I'm guessing Venus' maiden name is McComb?


  2. #152
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by darlin gal View Post

    Douglas Stewart declined to comment Wednesday when contacted by the Kalamazoo Gazette and directed questions to his attorney, Jeff Schroder, of Hettinger & Hettinger in Portage. The Gazette was unable to reach Schroder.

    http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/..._remain_h.html

    Wed. was April 28th, so he had a lawyer then.
    Why would the husband hire a criminal defense lawyer in Michigan two days after she went missing if he lives in Virginia???

    --------------

    Jeffrey M. Schroder

    Jeff is licensed to practice law in all Michigan courts and he has been admitted to practice in the United States District Courts throughout the entire State of Michigan.

    Jeff’s fields of practice include Criminal Defense, Medical Malpractice, Auto-Negligence, Personal Injury, Family Law and Appellate Law. Jeff has practiced law as an assistant prosecuting attorney; he has defended most major hospitals in Michigan in Medical Malpractice and Premises Liability lawsuits; he has worked in the claims department at a medical malpractice insurer; and he has defended a major auto-insurer. Thus, Jeff’s experiences provide him with a unique understanding of the methods and strategies employed by the attorneys that he litigates against.

    What should I do if a police officer asks to interview me or asks me to take a lie detector test?

    You should refuse. Remember, you are not required to talk to a police officer. When a police officer contacts you about a crime, and you have not been a victim or a witness to a crime, the officer is trying to get a confession out of you. Under these circumstances, the police officer is not your friend.


    bbm
    http://www.hettingerlaw.com/schroder.php


  3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Foxy Loxy For This Useful Post:


  4. #153
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cahoots
    Posts
    6,535
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy Loxy View Post
    Why would the husband hire a criminal defense lawyer in Michigan two days after she went missing if he lives in Virginia???

    --------------

    Jeffrey M. Schroder

    Jeff is licensed to practice law in all Michigan courts and he has been admitted to practice in the United States District Courts throughout the entire State of Michigan.

    Jeff’s fields of practice include Criminal Defense, Medical Malpractice, Auto-Negligence, Personal Injury, Family Law and Appellate Law. Jeff has practiced law as an assistant prosecuting attorney; he has defended most major hospitals in Michigan in Medical Malpractice and Premises Liability lawsuits; he has worked in the claims department at a medical malpractice insurer; and he has defended a major auto-insurer. Thus, Jeff’s experiences provide him with a unique understanding of the methods and strategies employed by the attorneys that he litigates against.

    What should I do if a police officer asks to interview me or asks me to take a lie detector test?

    You should refuse. Remember, you are not required to talk to a police officer. When a police officer contacts you about a crime, and you have not been a victim or a witness to a crime, the officer is trying to get a confession out of you. Under these circumstances, the police officer is not your friend.


    bbm
    http://www.hettingerlaw.com/schroder.php
    Because an attorney licensed in Michigan would be familiar with their state's constitution and laws governing the local police and prosecutor. Plus he's right there to answer to those authorities on his client's behalf.

    Regarding what you bolded, it is so true. If you haven't seen this yet, please take the time to watch it. Entertaining, but contains some valuable advice for us all:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc
    Last edited by KateB; 04-28-2015 at 10:25 AM. Reason: repair url tag.


  5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calliope For This Useful Post:


  6. #154
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    304
    Not sure if this statement had already been spoken about.(forgive me if it has, as ive not had time to read thru entire 7pages of posts)
    Venus's father stated that she was so very sure that her husband would find her and indeed kill her that she made out her will 3days prior to going missing... This is quite chilling to know this detail. She knew, this poor woman knew exactly what her fate was going to be and unfortunately I too believe that the fate that she met was her final fate and this indeed will end in a very tragic way.


  7. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jessigirl For This Useful Post:


  8. #155
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    293
    In earlier posts, the allegation of sex abuse was discussed. It has been said on here and in comments on the newspaper thread that if the husband had molested his daughter he would have been arrested.

    As a child welfare worker, I can say that often times sex abuse cases are substantiated and unfortunately criminal charges are never brought on. This happens for a variety of reasons. For cases to be substantiated by CPS, you only need a preponderance of the evidence, as opposed to beyond a reasonable doubt in criminal proceedings. Often times, there is not enough physical evidence or the victims are too young to testify and it does not get brought to a criminal trial.

    Of course, I am not saying this is what has happened in this case....just speaking from a general knowledge that these types of molestation allegations often do not get prosecuted. Both scary and sad, really.

    Also, it is VERY common for abusers to accuse their victims of the very things they themselves have done to their victims and as another poster on here said....to claim their victim is mentally unstable, on medications, is a drug user, claim self defense, etc... Yes, men do get abused too, but abusers also use these tactics very frequently against their victims.


  9. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to crimejunkie For This Useful Post:


  10. #156
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,256
    I just heard about this case when I watched nancy grace at 1 am
    so, if my opioins have already been discussed, forgive me


    do we know who the letter was to ?

    My thoughts
    did she have a phone conversation with somebody the night before
    saying ok i will put it in the mail first thing in the morning

    did the ex and her have bills together and maybe one was due ?

    I guessing that would be the first thing they check phone records
    cell phones land lines ?

    I know i have had conversation probably a million times on the phone, Ok i will put in the mail first thing ?

    what times the mail run ?

    does she usually go to the mail first thing in the morning
    I heard a man on Nancy grace
    say I dont why she didnt tell me to watch the kids ?
    so that made me think it was regular occurrence her going to the mail box at that time. all of this jmo

    just all the thought that came to my head when i was watching
    sorry to ramble

    does the mail run at the same time on a regular basis
    My comes in the afternoon, My moms comes first thing in the morning


  11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RJA00 For This Useful Post:


  12. #157
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Forum Purgatory
    Posts
    988
    Quote Originally Posted by cmlegend99 View Post
    I live in Hampton, VA which is RIGHT BESIDE Newport News (like 10 minutes from me) and I've only heard about this on Nancy Grace. NOTHING on the news here. Anyone sleuth the hubby yet? I'm curious as to where he lives/where he works.
    I know! I'm in MI, on the other side of the state, but had'nt heard anything until I saw it on the forums. I searched for updated info and could only get stuff that was days old! I was so glad NG covered this story but then I woke up this morning and still nothing by way of updates or tips of them being seen anywhere. It's maddening that this poor woman just disappeared. Yes I know every day all day it seems but when you get hooked on a case and no one is reporting or giving info you just want to scream,"hello there is a woman out there needing some help! Right now!"


    http://www.sturgisjournal.com/topsto...arch-continues
    k i found one updated article. That has nothing new. period. They say it's like she fell off the face of the earth.
    Last edited by TobyWong*; 05-04-2010 at 07:22 AM. Reason: found update


  13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TobyWong* For This Useful Post:


  14. #158
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    New York State
    Posts
    367
    Could it be that, thanks to Tiffany Tehan, the media has a case of "missing mom overload"? I know a lot of people, myself included, put a lot of emotional energy into that case only to find out she was taking a little vay-cay. This case seems much more ominous than TT's, but there's been practically no information and until NG last night, no attention at all paid to it.


  15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to maggieo For This Useful Post:


  16. #159
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Forum Purgatory
    Posts
    988
    Quote Originally Posted by maggieo View Post
    Could it be that, thanks to Tiffany Tehan, the media has a case of "missing mom overload"? I know a lot of people, myself included, put a lot of emotional energy into that case only to find out she was taking a little vay-cay. This case seems much more ominous than TT's, but there's been practically no information and until NG last night, no attention at all paid to it.
    True that! But with the filings for divorce, her implying sexual abuse to their daughter and her moving away from him, those things made it different for me. And the tt stories are so far an few in between actual abductions and harm that come to these wives in volitile situations. I'm more inclined to think it's just a really small town and the media is'nt as aggressive there than in a larger area. ? idk.


  17. The Following User Says Thank You to TobyWong* For This Useful Post:


  18. #160
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    2 Oaks and a Stump, MI
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyWong* View Post
    I'm more inclined to think it's just a really small town and the media is'nt as aggressive there than in a larger area. ? idk.
    It's been a few years since I was in Colon, but if I recall it was very small and very rural.


  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lurkey Lou For This Useful Post:


  20. #161
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by crimejunkie View Post
    In earlier posts, the allegation of sex abuse was discussed. It has been said on here and in comments on the newspaper thread that if the husband had molested his daughter he would have been arrested.

    As a child welfare worker, I can say that often times sex abuse cases are substantiated and unfortunately criminal charges are never brought on. This happens for a variety of reasons. For cases to be substantiated by CPS, you only need a preponderance of the evidence, as opposed to beyond a reasonable doubt in criminal proceedings. Often times, there is not enough physical evidence or the victims are too young to testify and it does not get brought to a criminal trial.

    Of course, I am not saying this is what has happened in this case....just speaking from a general knowledge that these types of molestation allegations often do not get prosecuted. Both scary and sad, really.

    Also, it is VERY common for abusers to accuse their victims of the very things they themselves have done to their victims and as another poster on here said....to claim their victim is mentally unstable, on medications, is a drug user, claim self defense, etc... Yes, men do get abused too, but abusers also use these tactics very frequently against their victims.
    Thank you for this post... I have found all of these things to be true also in my work with kids... and divorce doesn't bring out the best in anyone, either. Any problems- real, imagined, lied about, etc- are just magnified, especially when kids are involved...IMO.
    No matter what has happened here, I feel absolutely horrible for those two precious lives who are caught in the middle.

    PS- Thank you's also to those who have posted in defense (no pun intended) of retaining an attorney. I've met some attorneys that I would rather feed to a pack of wolves than associate with, but I've also met plenty of the good guys... I encourage anyone who is completely innocent to still get advice from an attorney. You can still give LE what they need for their investigation making sure your rights are protected, sad but true, IMO.
    A run-away may leave on purpose, but that doesn't mean that they are able to get back home.... Never stop searching.


  21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AnnieOakley For This Useful Post:


  22. #162
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Somewhere out there ....
    Posts
    8,440
    Does anybody know what hubby's alibi is ? I haven't found it yet just that he has one.
    Sorry if this was posted already, but I thought it was of interest:

    Police searching wooded area in St. Joseph County for clues in abduction of Venus Rose Stewart

    SNIPPED........................................... .................................................. .

    Risko said the tip that police acted on Friday was information that a person saw a man near the shoreline of Adams Lake within the time frame that Venus Stewart is believed to have been taken.

    “It’s one of the few tips we’ve got so we’re going to act on it,” Risko said. “At this stage of the game, I don’t think we can let anything slide.”

    http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/...ed_area_i.html
    What lies behind you and what lies in front of you pales in comparison to what lies inside of you....
    Ralph Waldo Emerson ~


  23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mysticrose For This Useful Post:


  24. #163
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Somewhere out there ....
    Posts
    8,440
    Also how is it that they (LE) can't find TWO vehicles this man owned ?

    Missing St. Joseph County woman feared her estranged husband, records show: Venus Stewart had sought three protection orders against spouse
    April 28, 2010, 8:19AM


    SNIPPED>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

    Police are continuing to ask for assistance from anyone who may have seen Venus Stewart or a silver Mercury sedan with Virginia license plate XNP1453 or silver Dodge Ram pickup truck with Virginia license plate XNP1301. Both of the vehicles are registered to Douglas Stewart, Risko said.

    Despite locating Douglas Stewart, police have yet to find the car or pickup truck, Risko said.

    Police ask that anyone who may have seen Venus Stewart or the vehicles to call the State Police post in White Pigeon at 269-483-7611 or the State Police Regional Dispatch Center in Rockford at 616-866-6666.

    http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/...y_woman_1.html
    What lies behind you and what lies in front of you pales in comparison to what lies inside of you....
    Ralph Waldo Emerson ~


  25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mysticrose For This Useful Post:


  26. #164
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cahoots
    Posts
    6,535
    That was from Wednesday the 28th; has there been anything reported recently? That would seem to be something they could readily confirm. Either he has his car and/or truck or he doesn't.

    It's never been clear to me if he was supposed to have had both in VA, either.


  27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calliope For This Useful Post:


  28. #165
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Somewhere out there ....
    Posts
    8,440
    Does anybody recall the article where the husband stated he had been out of state ? I am trying to find it.....TIA

    I think he prob. took a plane, I think he may have drove a vehicle somewhere and left it hopped a plane back home, maybe drove the other vehicle to abduct her in did what he did got rid of her and then changed vehicles drove to a little out of the way airport hopped a plane back to VG for his alibi .. something like that anyway. There is no way he could make the drive time unless he hired someone to snag Venus up.

    They need to be checking smaller airports for his vehicles ... imo
    What lies behind you and what lies in front of you pales in comparison to what lies inside of you....
    Ralph Waldo Emerson ~


  29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mysticrose For This Useful Post:


Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 508
    Last Post: 06-22-2010, 09:45 PM
  2. Replies: 563
    Last Post: 05-28-2010, 11:00 AM
  3. Replies: 547
    Last Post: 05-17-2010, 09:00 AM
  4. Replies: 498
    Last Post: 05-13-2010, 06:48 PM
  5. Replies: 636
    Last Post: 05-10-2010, 06:20 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •