1194 users online (150 members and 1044 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

VA - Man Turns Himself In After Violent Racist Attack On Disabled Woman

Suspect in Hampton attack turns himself in
    by Brian Farrell
    Posted on April 27, 2010 at 11:11 PM
    Updated today at 12:00 PM

HAMPTON -- "Never once did he try to take my keys. Never once did he ask or try to take my pocketbook or any money. He was just out to hurt," says Sylvia Hollingsworth.

Bruised, still in pain, the 59-year-old recalls the attack that took place at the 7-Eleven at the corner of North King Street and Rip Rap Road on April 16. She stopped to buy lottery tickets around 11:15 p.m.

Hampton Police believe the attacker was 25-year-old William Douglas, who turned himself in early Wednesday.
    http://www.wvec.com/news/Police-name...ed-person.html
    Last edited by Salem; 05-05-2010 at 09:58 AM. Reason: snipped article to 10% for copyright issue

As a woman she is a member of the protected class. If he'd yelled and screamed he hated women and called her all dorogatory names about being female? Maybe.

Good luck with the rest of it lady. I see nowhere that he's being charged with a hate crime? Even if she "feels" like a victim of one.

Thankfully she is alive. Way to go on assaulting a disabled person.

The 59-year-old uses a cane to help her walk. She was part of the way into her car, trying to lift her left leg which gives her trouble. Douglas supposedly grabbed hold of the door and began slamming it continually, banging Hollingsworth's leg repeatedly in the process.

"He paused just long enough to want to know if I had anything to say to him. I can't stand the 'F' word," shares Hollingsworth. "I looked up at him solemnly and said, 'Do you know how to speak English?' Of course, that didn't help his anger any, and he slammed again."
    Priceless. Give that poor lady a medal.
    Always JMO, FWIW, YMMV...

Mrs. Hollingsworth tells Wavvy.com that she didn't believe she'd live to be 60 years old after being attacked by this guy.

At some point the guy he was with told him to leave the lady alone, and get in the car, but he didn't and the guy left him there.

Of COURSE interesting comments as always.

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_n...d-shots-at-car

I have to be honest and say I find this womans whole story to be suspect and will be looking for follow-up information. It's, frankly, just not believable. I'm not saying the guy didn't attack her, but I think the rest of her statement is bunk. That's just my take on it.

Why didn't any of the several onlookers call 911?

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda View Post
    I have to be honest and say I find this womans whole story to be suspect and will be looking for follow-up information. It's, frankly, just not believable. I'm not saying the guy didn't attack her, but I think the rest of her statement is bunk. That's just my take on it.
    Belinda, the one reason I thought that was she said she looked up at the guy and asked if he spoke English. This while you're getting your bum leg stuck in the door and slammed? Plus wouldn't you say to someone cursing "Can you talk without using the "F" word?"

Maybe it all did come down like that, but I so know if my leg was getting slammed I wouldn't be saying a thing to the guy.

Donjeta, at the other link I provided this woman said even the guys companion left him. I'm going to be honest and say I believe I'd call 911 for her, but AFTER I split. Then again you never know how you'll react in that chaos.

The media could be skewing her words or she is looking for something else because I'd have been praying through all that. Obviously she was attacked, but something is hinkey here. I hope she is alright though. Then again she is speaking with the media.

I'm not blaming the victim here, she had every right to be where she was at the time she was. That being said, I would do everything possible NOT to be in Newport News or Hampton after dark.

I think the guy must have been on drugs (PCP?...I don't know that much about drugs) BUT I also think if this had been an elderly, disabled, black woman he wouldn't have targeted her. Just judging from what he said and from living not too far from Hampton. What a man. Beating up a disabled old lady. At least he turned himself in.
    Last edited by lizzybeth; 04-29-2010 at 08:13 AM.

Just out of personal curiosity... why do you suspect her story?

Welcome Riddinx. First thread? It's a good one. Ya gotta love a feisty old gal coming out of such an unprovoked attack without major injury. Its a story that helps me feel beter about my day.

Sometimes the news is all death and abuse and doom and gloom.

Always nice to see a story where the victim has moxy!
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

Riddinx - I find the woman's account completely unbelievable partially for the sentence below. It's baloney. I'm sorry, it just is.

"I looked up at him solemnly and said, 'Do you know how to speak English?'
    Furthermore, if the story was believable to the police, the man would have been charged with a hate crime and he wasn't. I don't doubt that she was attacked. I totally doubt the whole whitey thing and the rest of it. It just sounds hinky. Only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by tlcox View Post
    Welcome Riddinx. First thread? It's a good one. Ya gotta love a feisty old gal coming out of such an unprovoked attack without major injury. Its a story that helps me feel beter about my day.

Sometimes the news is all death and abuse and doom and gloom.

Always nice to see a story where the victim has moxy!
    No, I've posted quite a few stories actually.

Thank you for the compliments. I like to post stories that most people don't usually encounter on a regular basis.

Riddinx - I find the woman's account completely unbelievable partially for the sentence below. It's baloney. I'm sorry, it just is.

Furthermore, if the story was believable to the police, the man would have been charged with a hate crime and he wasn't. I don't doubt that she was attacked. I totally doubt the whole whitey thing and the rest of it. It just sounds hinky. Only time will tell.
    You have a point about the sentence you quoted. And I actually agree with you.

But as for hate crime charges. I think you only get those if you're White and attack someone of color just because of their race. It's very rare that people of color are charged with hate crimes after racial attacks. I can post numerous articles to back that up too.

Her story does appear to have holes in it. I just wanted to hear why you thought so. Thanks for the clarification.

This story just didn't ring true for me and I despise people who make things up for attention or whatever they are trying to get out of it. Especially, when it's things along racial lines. We have enough trouble with unity in this country without things like this. I will gladly eat crow if I'm wrong. I wonder if there is a way to find out what the police perception of this is?

Belinda, my full impression of her story was the same as yours. I said the lady deserves a medal because I just thought that comment was too funny to ignore. Reading this section of forum, I'm eager to jump at any little thing that makes me smile.

But overall, the article had a strong scent of a big fish story.

It's not that I don't think the guy made racist comments, and I agree with Riddinx that the lack of his being charged with a hate-crime is no indication that he didn't.

My impression was that the lady was not only embellishing the story, but that she might have left out something she did that set him off on her. (Not that it probably took much to get this guy off.)
    Always JMO, FWIW, YMMV...

wonder what the fella he shot at around the corner after attacking her did or said to set the guy off?

I think the ole gal was just being her usualy colorful self. Lots of folks have the gift of gab as my gramma used to call it. In fact this story reminds me of a time when I was a child and my grandmother managed a couple of Handy Pantrys (conveniece stores) when she was in her late 50s early 60s.

She faced down young black males with pistols not once, but on two diferent occassions.

In the second instance, she was so irritated and disgusted by "the no-count young punks these days" that she actually looked the gunman in the eye and asked him what his mother thought about him and what he was gettin himself up to. She then lunged over the counter, wrestled the gun away from him and swatted him on the behind with a broom til cops arrived.

Maybe this lady was just "one of those" grannies who will not hesitate to read someone's trees. Anywho, OT but this story just reminds me of my gramma, I miss her no-nonsense ways.
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast