Does Your Child's School Talk to them about Molestation?

southcitymom

Reaction score
Website
www.janicefahy.com
Hey y'all:

My 3rd grader came home yesterday and told me that in his Counseling class they had talked about child molestation and lures some adults use to get children alone and try to take advantage of them.

I was impressed with this and am curious to know if other schools address these types of safety issues.

We have never discussed the topic in any type of depth (beyond the basics of not going anywhere alone with strangers and how their bathing suit areas are are private and what to do if they get lost, etc...), but my son said his class was pretty detailed.

It was focused around "lures" like asking a child to help you find a puppy, offering a child you don't know gifts or candy. The one lure that really made my son feel uncomfortable was about inner circle (family, close friends) lures. They watched a video about an uncle who took some of his nephews on a camping trip - the video detailed the uncle grooming one of his nephews and then eventually getting in the tent alone with the nephew and telling him to not say anything about it - that it was a secret.

My son was dumbfounded at the thought that a relative would ever try to touch him inappropriately. He has lots of uncles and just can't imagine them behaving in such a skeevy manner.

My son was also curious about why a child wouldn't tell a parent if a grownup was inappropriate with them - that didn't make sense to him. So we had a great long conversation about these things, and I was appreciative of our school helping to open the dialogue.

My daughter is in the 1st grade and her school had a program on good touches and bad touches. I've always talked to my daughter about strangers and that no one should bad touch her no matter who it is.

My daughter is in the 1st grade and her school had a program on good touches and bad touches. I've always talked to my daughter about strangers and that no one should bad touch her no matter who it is.

Welcome to WS, crangel!

I think he had a similar program in 1st grade - it seems like they build on it each year.

My 9 yr old daughter has had very bare bones basic info about good versus bad touch in school. The majority of her education in that regard has come from home.

My 5 yr old son had it last year during pre-school (headstart program) It was more comprehensive although still age appropriate and in his class they did go into more detail about some of the ruses abusers may try to use on children.

Wow, I'm impressed with your school district, SCM! Our schools don't do that here. I have talked with my boys about good touch/bad touch and of course the stranger stuff. They all have a code word if someone says your Mom told me to pick you up.

Once DS#1 (11yo) was being brought home from soccer practice unexpectedly from his best friend's Dad and he asked the Dad for the code. The Dad called me in a panic, cuz DS wouldn't go with him without the code and I gave him the code. That was a super proud Mommy moment!! LOL:)

I prefer to do it myself but knowing some parents will never approach the subject it is good for schools to do it. I have been teaching my grandson how to respond if someone grabs his arm and tries to "walk" him somewhere. Drop flat to the ground and yell "STRANGER STRANGER 911" and resist as hard as he can going anywhere. I have also given him the same instructions I gave my son - find someone that works at a place - be it a store, library, post office or bar - before running to a house or trying to hide. In our town not many people home during the day and safer to go into a business yelling STRANGER STRANGER 911.

My kid's schools don't address the issue, but their doctor's do. I have asked and pushed repeatedly to get this discussed in the schools, and they simply won't do it. Of course, our schools don't discuss sex ed until tenth grade science, so...

Nope, not at all.

It's an uptight about anything sexual christian school. It's like they prefer to pretend it doesn't happen.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back