GUILTY IN - Leon Walker, 5, tortured & killed, Gary, 28 April 2010

Litlred

Reaction score
Gary police: 5-year-old bound, tortured, killed

April 29, 2010 (GARY, Ind.) (WLS) -- Investigators say a boy was bound, tortured, and beaten to death inside a home in Gary. He would have turned 6 years old Monday.

The child's death has been ruled a homicide.

Gary police were questioning people in connection with the boy's death Thursday evening.

Leon Walker, the 5-year-old victim, would have turned 6 years old Monday, but given how it appears his life was going, there is no evidence anyone was planning a party.

story at....

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=7414216

That is soooo sad!!! It just breaks my heart how painful this child's life was in the short time he was here.

And I always get choked up thinking that somewhere *right now* another child is going through something horrible like this and we'll read about it in the news in a few days (or...it will continue and we won't).

So sad.

From same link:

One neighbor who did not want to be identified reportedly had Leon and his family over for Easter Sunday dinner.

The coroner and the police say when an unconscious Leon was brought to the hospital, he was covered in scars, including ligature marks on his arms.

"From what we could see, [it] looked like he was tortured. He was beaten from head to toe," said Sgt. William Fazekas, who was there on another matter. "In 21 years of doing this&it was the worst I have ever seen -- for any human being."

UM...excuse me?!?!?! This clearly wasn't a one-time occurrence since the child had already been found the previous Saturday after running away. And "scar" to me indicates that not all the wounds were fresh. So, this child was so severely scarred and no one...not one person...at Easter Dinner noticed it?!? And now the neighbor has the nerve to say it was a tragedy????

That neighbor needs a good smack.

My heart and mind is unable to process this treatment of a five year old boy.
God bless you little one.

I lost it reading this story. I hope Indiana has the DP and they use it. How someone can do this to an innocent child is beyond me. I ran across little Dominick's story the other day and now this.

There are no more tears in heaven. Rest in Peace Leon and Dominick.

There seems to be an explosion in the number of these cases lately. An epidemic of child torture and murder.

What in the world is happening here??!!

As we sit here grieving for this small boy somewhere someplace another child it being harmed. How as rational caring adults do we put forth a safety net for these innocent victims?

From the linked article:

The disturbance was only the latest on Virginia Avenue. Last Saturday, Gary police were called when 5-year-old Leon went missing. He was found at 2 a.m. hiding under blankets upstairs in the abandoned house next door to his.

NO ONE noticed this boy was abused when he was found Saturday at 2am alive? Who found him? what happened when LE arrived? Did LE send this kid back home to his dad and dads gf after they found him this way? WTH!

I don't understand how this was allowed to happen.

This child should have been in Kindergarten.

Not ONE call to ANYONE from either LE who found him, to a teacher, to the neighbor? NO ONE CALLED!! WHY? :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:

I hope the father and his girl friend both end up in prison for a long long time. :furious: :furious:

While he should have been in kindergarten only 14 or so states have mandatory KG. (which is amazing if one thinks about it... ) Indiana was not listed as one of the states where Kindergarten is mandatory. I doubt this boy was ever sent to school if his dad was abusing him.

Poor child.

God bless his heart, he tried to get away, but they threw him back to these monsters, no one even noticed??? Did anyone even care????????? May they all Rot in hell

While he should have been in kindergarten only 14 or so states have mandatory KG. (which is amazing if one thinks about it... ) Indiana was not listed as one of the states where Kindergarten is mandatory. I doubt this boy was ever sent to school if his dad was abusing him.

Poor child.

Bolded by me...

We don't know that it was his dad who was abusing him....it could be the girlfriend. Also, how old are the girlfriend's children, could they be old enough to be doing this to the 'non-sibling' out of jealousy? I'm appalled at the things that go on in the world in which we live, especially to the poor innocent children. :furious:

The boy's body had up to 40 injury marks on it, said Gary police Sgt. William Fazekas, supervisor of the Violent Crimes Unit and lead investigator in the case.
Some of the marks may have been from past injuries, Fazekas said.

<snip>
His death was caused by trauma to the body so severe it shocked even longtime law enforcement officials.

"Leon had been reported missing from the house on Sunday but was found in an abandoned building and returned home, Fazekas said.
"They reported him missing, but there was no sign of wrong play at that time," Fazekas said.

Full story at link:

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/96f009fb-bb29-5866-ab18-34e76483ceac.html

Above article also indicates other children aged 1-13 have been removed from the home.

It is incomprehendable how there was "no sign of wrong play" on this childs body 3-4 days prior to his being found badly beaten in his own home. Surely the coroner could determine the age of bruising and scars.

So we know neighbors possibly failed this child. However, neigbors are not mandatory reporters. There were other school age children in the home, did they attempt to tell anyone what was going on at home?

LE. What determination did LE make early Sunday morning when this child ran away and was found sleeping in an abandoned home that it was SAFE for this child to go home? What about a 5 yr old child running away and choosing to walk into and go to sleep in an abandoned home is NOT alarming to LE something might not be alright at home? Is it just me or does anyone get the feeling LE really missed the mark when this child was found -still alive- in the early hours of Sunday morning and decided it was safe for this child to go home? If LE missed the mark, what is their repercussion? The boy is dead, there is no going back in time to make a better decision.

This childs biological mother has been fully ruled out as as suspect (according to the earlier local news broadcast at 6pm, forget which channel) because she is currently in rehab and it sounded like she had been for some time. (at least she was trying to get herself some help.)

I think it is very possible this boys bio mom might have one heck of a civil lawsuit against LE for not protecting her child... amongst the other things that will come out regarding this case in due time.

Nobody heard this child being beat?

Un-believable.

RIP Leon. You are safe in Jesus arms now where no one will ever beat or harm you again. I just wish someone would have gotten you out of that environment before it led to this.....

Here is another article.
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/...nd-dead-had-trauma-over-most-of-his-body.html

Clearly the boys dad and dads gf arrived at the hospital a short time later because they likely drove themselves.

I'm looking for more news articles.

Is it odd that a neighbor was called or invited into the home, and she was the one to call 911?

I'm curious to know who else was in the home when the neighbor called 911

It is so sad that this little boy had absolutely no one. What a terrible short life to live. This is too sad. It brings tears to my eyes. I hope he will be cared for now. This child could not have possbly done anything to deserve the PAIN he suffered. Bless his heart and I pray the angels are watching over him.

From the link in the first post.

The coroner and the police say when an unconscious Leon was brought to the hospital, he was covered in scars, including ligature marks on his arms.

And none of these scars were on this childs body in the wee hours of Sunday morning when he tried to run and was found in a neighboring abandoned home, still alive.

I think LE really missed the ball on this one entirely. UNLESS LE was never even there or out searching for this child in the wee hours of the morning, and it was family and neighbors and LE never saw him to make that determination, but that is not how I read the quote from LE in my above post. I read it to mean LE was there when this child was found and put him back in this home.

JMO

Bolded by me...

We don't know that it was his dad who was abusing him....it could be the girlfriend. Also, how old are the girlfriend's children, could they be old enough to be doing this to the 'non-sibling' out of jealousy? I'm appalled at the things that go on in the world in which we live, especially to the poor innocent children. :furious:

The article I linked indicated the other children in the home were aged 1-13. With a 1 year old and 3 other kids I don't think both adults in this home worked. Someone should have been home with those kids. I supposed it is possible the older sibling could have done this... possible, but not sure how likely.

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back