Thread: PA - Merry Fauley - 55 years old - West Mifflin - 20 April 2010

PA - Merry Fauley - 55 years old - West Mifflin - 20 April 2010

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/...98/detail.html

Neighbor Reports West Mifflin Woman Missing
    Merry Fauley Last Seen April 20
    POSTED: 10:16 am EDT April 29, 2010
    UPDATED: 10:24 am EDT April 29, 2010

WEST MIFFLIN, Pa. -- Police in one Allegheny County community are on the lookout for a missing woman.

According to reports from neighbors, Merry Fauley, 55, was last seen on April 20.

Police said friends are concerned because Fauley left her home without her medications or her purse.

Fauley is described as white, 5 feet 4 inches tall, 200 pounds, with blue eyes and gray hair. When she was last seen she was wearing a black sweat suit and newer white tennis shoes.

Anyone with information in the case is asked to contact the West Mifflin Police Department.
    Last edited by Texas Mist; 02-25-2011 at 01:59 PM. Reason: changed status/prefix

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to summer_breeze For This Useful Post:

I'm wondering what happened to this poor woman?

Her DD has a Facebook and belongs on a Ministry FB where she asked prayers that her mom be found. I wasn't sure if I was allowed to link to it or not.

Merry Fauley I hope you are safe wherever you are.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Filly For This Useful Post:

Merry's daughter's MySpace..blog about her mom

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...ogId=535924999

In touch Ministries Facebook site

http://www.facebook.com/posted.php?i...006&comments=1

FYI - It is OK to post links (not copy/pasting info) from Facebook, MySpace, etc. as long as it is directly related to the case, the site is publicly accessible, and the sites don't "belong" to minors.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5096455&postcount=14"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Threadiquette- Questions about rules welcome here[/ame]
    Last edited by summer_breeze; 07-18-2010 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Added Websleuths link for social networking sites

6. The Following User Says Thank You to summer_breeze For This Useful Post:

Crews Resume Search For Woman Who Disappeared 4 Months Ago

http://www.wpxi.com/news/24663576/detail.html

Posted: 3:37 pm EDT August 17, 2010
    Updated: 5:52 pm EDT August 17, 2010

WEST MIFFLIN, Pa. -- Crews resumed a search for a missing West Mifflin woman Tuesday, after she was last seen nearly four months ago.

Bumping for Merry.

In the MySpace blog, a possible reason Merry went for a walk was given. It's confusing, then, why her neighbors instead of her family initially reported her missing after she'd been gone for several days. Unless this was a reporting error?

Also, she had physical limitations from the effects of polio, but there was a reported sighting of her at a gas station a mile from home. Would walking this distance have been unusual for her? Did she regularly take the PAT bus?
    <-- Watched one too many Hanna-Barbera "teenage detective" cartoons as a kid.

Pennsylvania Missing Personsand Unidentified Victims

http://pennsylvaniamissing.com/fauleymerry.html

Merry Helen Fauley
    Missing since April 20, 2010 from West Mifflin, Allegheny County

Vital Statistics
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 55
    Estimated Height: 5'4"
    Estimated Weight: 200 lbs
    Hair Color: Gray
    Eye Color: Blue
    Clothing: News articles report that Merry was wearing a black sweat suit and white tennis shoes, but she may have been wearing something bright (hot) pink.
    Medical: Suffers from the effects of polio.

Case Details
    Merry was last seen on Tuesday, April 20, 2010. She may have been seen that same day at a gas station in West Mifflin, about a mile from home. Her family and friends are concerned because she left home without her meds or her purse. Since the day she went missing, she hasn't accessed her bank account, picked up her meds or been to a doctor. Because of her physical limitations, it is unlikely she could have gone very far on her own.

On August 17, 2010, almost four months after she disappeared, police and search crews renewed their effort to locate Merry. Cadaver dogs and pipe poles were utilized and FBI agents were brought in to search the wooded areas around Buttermilk Hollow Road in West Mifflin. After four hours, the search was suspended. No sign of Merry was found.

If you have any information concerning the disappearance of Merry Fauley, please contact:

West Mifflin Police Department
    (412) 461-3125

Sources
    WPXI
    thepittsburghchannel.com
    myspace page for Merry

10. The Following User Says Thank You to summer_breeze For This Useful Post:

I was in West Mifflin yesterday to pick up a hard-to-find tire size at a warehouse there, and Buttermilk Hollow Road was not far away so I drove along it. It's a good thing the FBI searched BHR because nobody else could investigate much without permission; much of the land fronting the road is clearly marked as private property and/or fenced. Directly across from the BHR Foodland grocery store is a wooded, fenced lot with a retention pond, and nearby Bettis Road has a lot of wooded areas that are marked "no dumping" along the roadside. The community park on Bettis Road was closed. Her daughter mentioned a complex-type place near the park in her MySpace blog but I couldn't get anywhere near it.

The most recent news articles state that the FBI searched along BHR, but there is no information about which gas station she was last seen at, and there are several in the area. The Foodland might have been a logical destination for someone on foot, though there's some grade to the road near the store.

Unfortunately that was all I could see, since my sons were with me and I couldn't walk along busy roads with them. The vegetation along the roads is very thick and there was a lot of poison oak, but I pray that once the leaves are down in a few weeks maybe LE will find some evidence of where she went. My prayers are with her and her family.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tatertot For This Useful Post:

How sad, this is the first I have heard of this case.
    Kyron, HALEIGH, ADJI & Gabriel NEEDS PRAYERS NOW TO FIND THEM!. Zahra & Jonathan in heaven
    Justice for Hailey!!!!
    No Justice for Caylee Marie..........

14. The Following User Says Thank You to passionflower For This Useful Post:

Remains found Jan. 1 identified as West Mifflin woman

<snip>

Forensic investigators compared X-rays taken of bones found by passers-by about 75 feet up a wooded hillside along Second Avenue near Saline Street with X-rays made in 2006 at Roper St. Francis Healthcare in Charleston, S.C.

more here

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_724670.html
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

Oh no.

75 feet up a wooded hillside? How would she have gotten up there?

RIP Merry.

i dont see how she could have climbed up a wooded hill with such physical limitations.

There may have been a story with this when it was first posted online, but I found this photo of the sweater: http://www.wtae.com/slideshow/news/26918414/detail.html

The sweater was never mentioned in any of the missing person reports, but it's possible nobody noticed it was missing. It has a zipper so it looks like the type of light jacket you'd throw on for a walk in springtime in western PA.

I'm sure LE will investigate thoroughly in regards to foul play, but it was noted that Merry had complications from polio and wasn't thought to have been able to walk far, and yet she was found about 5 1/2 miles from home and 75 feet up a steep hill, as Filly pointed out.

May Merry rest in peace and prayers are going out to her family.

<snip>

The medical examiner was led to South Carolina by the woman's family after the office released pictures of a sweater found on the body.

"It had distinctive patterns of snowmen and other things that were clearly sewn onto it," he said.

West Mifflin police continue to investigate the death, Dr. Williams said.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11057...cmpid=news.xml
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org