683 users online (126 members and 557 guests)  


Websleuths News


Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    52,752

    Really Cool New Feature

    You may (or may not) notice when you start a new thread that a box will pop up with titles of similar threads already started
    Please take a peek at those threads and see if your topic might fit in to one of them or if the thread you are starting already exists.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The beautiful roundabout of Context, Veracity, and JUSTICE
    Posts
    11,424
    Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    You may (or may not) notice when you start a new thread that a box will pop up with titles of similar threads already started
    Please take a peek at those threads and see if your topic might fit in to one of them or if the thread you are starting already exists.

    Thanks
    JBean, so that was you with the magical moderating! Thank you--I saw the new feature and it did not bring up the thread you bumped/added mine (though it did bring up a Michael Jackson thread)... I should have done a more thorough search. Thank you again!
    You can hold back from the suffering of the world. You have free permission to do so and it is in accordance with your nature.
    But perhaps this very holding back is the one suffering you could have avoided.
    Franz Kafka

    Be not simply good. Be good for something.
    HDT

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,009
    OOH am digging on this. TY!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    52,752
    Quote Originally Posted by ynotdivein View Post
    JBean, so that was you with the magical moderating! Thank you--I saw the new feature and it did not bring up the thread you bumped/added mine (though it did bring up a Michael Jackson thread)... I should have done a more thorough search. Thank you again!
    Well, you are certainly the first one to refer to my moderating as "magical". Not the word I usually hear.
    It is a helpful feature and can perhaps save us some search time. I mean who has time to search when all heck is breaking loose in this case and others?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,009
    Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    Well, you are certainly the first one to refer to my moderating as "magical". Not the word I usually hear.
    It is a helpful feature and can perhaps save us some search time. I mean who has time to search when all heck is breaking loose in this case and others?
    No one has the time to mod 24/7...having said that, can I help myself to the jellybeans in your avatar...? Nevermind...stealing them anyway. I do think that it would be smart to have us email mods with thread titles before posting them (said threads). It is important that once this case goes to trial that we can access relevant threads and cross-ref them. JMO.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    High on Hummingbird Hill
    Posts
    1,954
    That's really fancy! I like it a lot.
    Bless the beasts and the children
    For in this world they have no voice,
    They have no choice.

    Iíve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, keep me here.
    كلي

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    52,752
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBitty35 View Post
    No one has the time to mod 24/7...having said that, can I help myself to the jellybeans in your avatar...? Nevermind...stealing them anyway. I do think that it would be smart to have us email mods with thread titles before posting them (said threads). It is important that once this case goes to trial that we can access relevant threads and cross-ref them. JMO.
    Actually the mods do the same thing you do and that is search titles or tags for other discussion on similar topics. so, the best thing to do is search first. with this new feature perhaps try putting in a few key words in the title box and see what pops up.
    you are correct in your thinking about the importance of trying to retrieve information which is why we merge threads and/or break out topics. it isn't cause we are anal and controlling as some think . it is because there are 4000 threads and if we have to really hunt for the info at trial time, you guys are gonna be frustrated. then i'll have to say "I told you so' and that will really make me magical.

    here help yourself

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,873
    It (new feature) also makes it really, really easy to provide links to older threads in a series (e.g. Why Bond is My Favorite Moderator #1, Why Bond is My Favorite Moderator #2, when starting Why Bond is My Favorite Moderator #3.)

    Just highlight & copy the title of the earlier threads from the window, then, highlight and "Copy Link" from them and insert as links in your new post #1 of your new thread. Time saver!
    Last edited by BondJamesBond; 05-01-2010 at 12:58 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,009
    Quote Originally Posted by BondJamesBond View Post
    It (new feature) also makes it really, really easy to provide links to older threads in a series (e.g. Why Bond is My Favorite Moderator #1, Why Bond is My Favorite Moderator #2, when starting Why Bond is My Favorite Moderator #3.)

    Just highlight & copy the title of the earlier threads from the window, then, highlight and "Copy Link" from them and insert as links in your new post. Time saver!
    Cool. And can I just throw this at you???

    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUNP9xrOBd4[/ame]

    I had to. But I do appreciate the mods trying to streamline stuff. Alot.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,668
    that sounds like a cool feature


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,668
    Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    here help yourself
    you guys are making me think of Mitch Hedberg's (comedy) piece about the girl with the jar of jellybeans I would post a link but I can't find one yet. But thanks, I took some.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,873

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by seagull65 View Post
    that sounds like a cool feature
    Yes - all the really cool posters are using it