1102 users online (209 members and 893 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Canada - Lachlan Cranswick, 41, Deep River near Ottawa ON, 18 Jan 2010 - #3

Please continue here.

Thread 2

Thread 1

Salem
    Last edited by KateB; 05-02-2015 at 06:29 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

from previous thread:
    Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - CANADA Canada - Ottawa, ON, Lachlan Cranswick, 41 Jan 18, 2010 #2

safetytwin said:

A few comments:

Many of the members of that Facebook group don't work at AECL.

As for partners - the admin is not the same Heather.

The cleanup referred to was in 1958
    I suggest to avoid the subsequent confusion, those members should have joined a FB group that is called "NOT Connected to AECL". JK

I realize the cleanup was in 1958 safetytwin, but I was much more interested in the point that air force personnel were involved extensively in the cleanup, and the military denied that either Mr. Paulson or Mr. McCormand even worked on it.

As for my reference to the FB group .. Please believe me that any subsequent findings that may have been made in no way disparage ANY member of that group !! The name does happen to be the same reasonably unique name (with a hyphen added that at times denotes a subsequent marriage), and they do have distinct ties to both Deep River and AECL families. At times, it is through researching the names and relationships of totally innocent people (a paper trail of sorts) that we find OTHER significant connections or relationships (maybe three or four times removed). We are limited by WS policies as to what can be said here on the board, so some things can only be sleuthed behind the scenes, studied, and re-thought as information changes. Hard to explain without laying it all out here, so i hope it makes sense.
    Last edited by KateB; 05-02-2015 at 06:27 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

Williams' thesis riddled with religious doctrine called "Just War" theory

I didn't make the connection yesterday. Duhhh! There i was askng about RW's religious beliefs and waxing on about his thesis and i didn't connect the dots.

Williams' MA thesis is totally riddled throughout with a particular religious doctrine called the "Just War theory."

The "Just War" doctrine makes up a major part of RW's thesis. It's in there like a dirty shirt right from the start and popping up all the way through to finish line. RW mentions the phrase "Just War" 47 times.

As Wikipedia says:
    "Just War Theory is a doctrine of military ethics of Roman philosophical and Catholic origin studied by moral theologians, ethicists and international policy makers which holds that a conflict can and ought to meet the criteria of philosophical, religious or political justice, provided it follows certain conditions."

Dominican St Thomas Aquinas -- who became a papal advisor in 1259 -- was a famous proponent of the Just War doctrine
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A644672

I wonder how old Thomas did on his MA thesis?

Now I just have to point out here that nothing Jesus himself is supposed to have said indicates that he had any time whatsoever for violence of any kind, let alone for the extreme mega-violence entailed in wars, even "just" ones. We all know Jesus was reputed to be an extreme pacifist. This little fact however, never stopped the institution of the Christian church from embracing a few wars along the road of history.

And this was all thanks largely to the "just war" doctine.

Lachlan had two references criticising "just war" doctrine. They appear on these pages:
    Links relating to Lord Mansfield, Re: the author of the decision in Somersett's Case, which ended slavery in England (1772)
    http://lachlan.bluehaze.com.au/mansf...t_slavery.html

Extracts from "The Open Society and Its Enemies Volume 1: The Spell of Plato" by Karl Raimund Popper
    http://lachlan.bluehaze.com.au/books...iety_vol1.html

Here is a nice graphic that says it all:
    http://www.justiceandcompassion.com/...id-enemies.jpg

Dunno McGill ... i heard that JC was peed enough at the tax collectors to turf them out of the temple. I think that was done in the name of "just war". Some people are calling on him to help out in the war against the HST
    Last edited by sillybilly; 05-04-2010 at 02:46 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by sillybilly View Post
    I suggest to avoid the subsequent confusion, those members should have joined a FB group that is called "NOT Connected to AECL". JK

I realize the cleanup was in 1958 safetytwin, but I was much more interested in the point that air force personnel were involved extensively in the cleanup, and the military denied that either Mr. Paulson or Mr. McCormand even worked on it.

As for my reference to the FB group .. Please believe me that any subsequent findings that may have been made in no way disparage ANY member of that group !! The name does happen to be the same reasonably unique name (with a hyphen added that at times denotes a subsequent marriage), and they do have distinct ties to both Deep River and AECL families. At times, it is through researching the names and relationships of totally innocent people (a paper trail of sorts) that we find OTHER significant connections or relationships (maybe three or four times removed). We are limited by WS policies as to what can be said here on the board, so some things can only be sleuthed behind the scenes, studied, and re-thought as information changes. Hard to explain without laying it all out here, so i hope it makes sense.
    SB, I appreciate your grace and good humour in response to one of my cranky moments.

I am confused here - are we looking at the same FB page and the same staff hotel registry? I can't find the matching names that I think you are talking about.

On FB I find
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...&v=info&ref=ts
    and the admin is HBH.
    The only s.h. registry I can find is
    http://bright-ideas-software.com/sta...08,%202008.pdf
    where CK's partner is HW and HW's partner is CK (they later married, and still are AFAIK).
    Any clarification you can provide would be appreciated.

WRT the article about Mr. Paulson, etc., I recall hearing about this from the other side of the fence. The trouble with anything to do with the nuclear biz is that every public story seems to be strongly biased, no matter what direction it is coming from. The truth exists, but somewhere else, and it doesn't see the light of day a lot of the time.

I have a lot of sympathy for both Paulson and McCormand, and think they were both shabbily treated all around (and probably many others were as well). They deserved better for the service they gave to their country. Some of what was done probably was deliberate, some was due to ignorance and incompetence, and some was people just trying to cover their a**es.

That's probably enough of a rant for this evening. Thanks for your patience.

On a different, sadder note - there is now another tenant living in LC's former house. It feels as though he is being erased bit by bit.

On a different, sadder note - there is now another tenant living in LC's former house. It feels as though he is being erased bit by bit.
    They might have someone else filling your house but no one can ever fill your shoes. Where are you Lachlin? So many of us care. We will not let you fade away.

Lachlan and "23 Canadians Shot at Dawn"

Good morning, I'm posting this deliberately at dawn, it's 5:47.

WWI, The Great War, was also called "The War to End All Wars."

But considering RW's thesis extolling the wonders of "preventative war" what would he call it? "The Great Preventative War"? "The War to Prevent All Wars"?

Yesterday I found another webpage on Lachlan's site that pulls together links on young men who were slaughtered by their own militaries in WWI. They had no lawyers to defend them, they were merely tied to posts and "shot at dawn."

(My first post to websleuths listed peace and war links on Lachlan's website and highlighted this one in particular:
    "Links relating to punishments and executions for Desertion and related offenses in World War One (WWI) and World War Two (WWI) including Consciencious Objectors / Consciencious Objection"
    http://lachlan.bluehaze.com.au/deser...xecutions.html

Reminds me of that question: "What if they called a war, but nobody came?" This leads to my next question: What was the military's rationale for killing their own for "alleged acts of cowardice, desertion, sleeping at post, casting away arms and disobedience..."
    http://web.archive.org/web/200806072...eeserve.co.uk/
    (this quote is from a wayback link to a site listed on Lachlan's other page on "desertion_executions")

The military rationale was likely that they needed to PREVENT the dangerous spread of "alleged acts of cowardice, desertion, sleeping at post, casting away arms and disobedience." This was a "preventative" measure. It was to intimidate other soldiers into following orders and to therefore prevent possible RESISTANCE to WWI.

Remember that revolution was in the air back then. The Russian revolution in 1917 was largely fueled by resistance by soldiers who had lost all faith in the Tsar because of the senseless slaughter wrought by WWI.

Back to Lachlan. He created another page on WWI and soldiers getting executed for refusing to fight. His page is called:
    "The Surreys Played the Game"
    (A World War One (WWI) Patriotic Poem)"
    http://lachlan.bluehaze.com.au/surre...edthegame.html

The page starts off with a poem about Brit WWI soldiers who were ordered to go "over the top" and ordered to slowly cross no-mans land. Few survived, of course. Knowing they'd probably die, some of them dribbled soccer balls. True story....

Lachlan obviously identified with these soldiers who were senselessly slaughtered for some military objective in a war fought to see which imperial power would get control of which resource-rich colonies in the "Third World".

You can see that Lachlan identified himself with those soldiers because right after the poem and the story of these soldiers, he lists the results of a search that he did where he found 11 British soldiers named Cranswick who died in WWI.

Then without skipping a beat he goes right back to the war poetry.

And then, he launches right into a list of examples of soldiers who were executed for refusing to fight.

The first item on his list was: "Canadians Shot at Dawn" http://home.cogeco.ca/~cdnsad/

The second link is broken but it is this article from The Toronto Star Friday 5 January 2001
    "War deserters memorial nears completion"
    http://www.aftermathww1.com/desmemorial.asp

How many of our fellow Canadians know that "Twenty-three young Canadian men were executed for desertion."

I bet not many Canadians know this little factoid. But Lachlan knew and he made his knowledge public on his website.

The Cdn govt finally acknowledged this shameful history exactly three months after Sept 11, 2001.

"On December 11, 2001, Veteran Affairs Minister, Dr. Ron Duhamel rose in the House of Commons and with sincerity and passion, read the names of those 23 Canadians into the Parliamentary record and announced their names will be written into Parliament Hill's Book of Remembrance."

I found the govt press release for this
    http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/general/sub...release&id=150

But the govt did NOT pardon the 23 executed soldiers.

This all came up in the news again in 2006...

"Top historian pans 'self indulgent' pardons for executed soldiers"
    Britain's planned pardon of 306 executed Commonwealth soldiers from the First World War including 23 Canadians poses a political conundrum for Prime Minister Stephen Harper, whose government will face pressure to support a gesture that one of the country's leading military historians has warned is ``self-indulgent'' revisionism.
    By CanWest News Service August 17, 2006
    http://www.canada.com/cityguides/for...1-f5319da99982

Here's a clip:
    "McGill University professor Desmond Morton, one of the leading chroniclers of Canada's military history, said the official statement of regret turned ''fact into fiction'' and unfairly tainted the actions of commanders who legitimately ordered executions.

''They did it for a reason,'' Morton said at the time. ''They did it to encourage other people to behave. If everybody who decided to flee fled, where would the army be?''

What did RW think of this controversy about preventing war resistance?
    Last edited by McMill; 05-04-2010 at 10:03 AM.

My guess is that R.W.did not really have strong feelings about anything, save his desires and how best to achieve those desires.I think that if writing a paper about a "just war ,"would garner praise and advance his position in the military, than that is what he would write.In my opinion,everything R.W.did, was to put himself in a position that would allow for optimum opportunity to fufill his true ambitions....

Quote Originally Posted by tarabull View Post
    Just doing something I sometimes do - snooping around at Lachlan's website....

Sorry if this has already been noted - I wonder why the link he provided to the Deep River Business Directory is set to those beginning with the letter "E"

http://bright-ideas-software.com/BID...y.asp?letter=E

I wonder if he did THAT on purpose????...the first 2 in the list are interesting, #2 more than #1, I suppose.

Nonetheless, can't help but note this on the long list o' things that make me go hmmmmmm.
    Quoting myself cuz I also found a website here for EX-Deep River residence to post updates of their whereabouts and new contact info...

Ironically, that first business at the top of the "E" listing Lachlan linked on his website - is listed on EX-Deep River residence website BUT under "C" for the first letter in the guys last name NOT the name of his business. (SORRY, confusing but hinky meter did bleep some...)

I don't recall coming across the guys name before - has anyone?

I'm shocked to have stumbled upon it twice in one night without looking for it - the first time it was Lachlan that pointed me there (as noted in my quoted posted above!!!!).

Anyways, it prolly means nothing. But if I find out he's the guy selling his house just a few doors down from Lachlan's YOU ALL will be the first to know...

OK last time quoting myself but just to add more 411 - the other person noted with the 1st business on the list STARTING WITH THE LETTER "E" is also the current president of the North Renfrew Rotary Club....(and yes again, the other guy & the business appears to have relocated.)

?!??

Quote Originally Posted by safetytwin View Post
    SB, I appreciate your grace and good humour in response to one of my cranky moments.

I am confused here - are we looking at the same FB page and the same staff hotel registry? I can't find the matching names that I think you are talking about.

On FB I find
    and the admin is HBH.

where CK's partner is HW and HW's partner is CK (they later married, and still are AFAIK).

WRT the article about Mr. Paulson, etc., I recall hearing about this from the other side of the fence. The trouble with anything to do with the nuclear biz is that every public story seems to be strongly biased, no matter what direction it is coming from. The truth exists, but somewhere else, and it doesn't see the light of day a lot of the time.

I have a lot of sympathy for both Paulson and McCormand, and think they were both shabbily treated all around (and probably many others were as well). They deserved better for the service they gave to their country. Some of what was done probably was deliberate, some was due to ignorance and incompetence, and some was people just trying to cover their a**es.

That's probably enough of a rant for this evening. Thanks for your patience.

OK just want to throw in this coinkydink...goodness knows there are always some when sleuthing but this is somewhat HINKY.

Back to the link from Lachlan's website that brings us to the Deep River business directory - plunking us directly in the list of those beginning with the letter "E" and specifically those two names connected to the first COMPANY listed.

I just found LT on the list provided by safetytwin - THANK YOU ST!!!!

I see LT is from Australia and if I correctly understand the link ST provided (and I think I do LOL) it seems LT also works at AECL....ETA: is that the same LT listed as the Pres of Rotary Club of North Renfrew? (doesn't seem a very common name "LT" RCNR Rotarian Member Talk: From Australia to Deep River ) I see an LT is also listed as a DRDCF Board Member.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

[Wonder who is now living in 25 Summit Street?]
    Last edited by tarabull; 05-04-2010 at 05:17 PM. Reason: +quote/link for back-up
    Don't believe EVERYTHING you think.

Quote Originally Posted by safetytwin View Post

On FB I find
    and the admin is HBH.
    <rs&bbm>

Safetytwin, my apologies for any confusion between HW and HB. I will reiterate that HW, HB, HBH, CK are not names that factor into any findings of significance.

I guess my pattern-driven brain shorted out. I'm sure not infallible but for the life of me, I can't figure out how I mistook a little 4-letter surname on that list for a totally different 11-letter surname that I now can't find anywhere on the list.

Also am trying to figure out how I "dreamed up" an HB in DR ... maybe because HBH (Ottawa) and HB (Deep River) are affiliated with the DRSO. Am going to think long and hard on this one

Because the staff list was the launch pad for a particular direction i was heading, I went back to see if that change would alter any of my subsequent research. It doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by dotr View Post
    My guess is that R.W.did not really have strong feelings about anything, save his desires and how best to achieve those desires.I think that if writing a paper about a "just war ,"would garner praise and advance his position in the military, than that is what he would write.In my opinion,everything R.W.did, was to put himself in a position that would allow for optimum opportunity to fufill his true ambitions....
    ITA, and as I said before, I believe it was all a game of "strategy".
    My posts are merely my humble opinion. Unless you are quoting within Websleuths Forums, you do not have my permission to copy nor use any post made by me for anything.
    ★ Thank you ★

OK just want to throw in this coinkydink...goodness knows there are always some when sleuthing but this is somewhat HINKY.

Back to the link from Lachlan's website that brings us to the Deep River business directory - plunking us directly in the list of those beginning with the letter "E" and specifically those two names connected to the first COMPANY listed.

I just found LT on the list provided by safetytwin - THANK YOU ST!!!!

I see LT is from Australia and if I correctly understand the link ST provided (and I think I do LOL) it seems LT also works at AECL....ETA: is that the same LT listed as the Pres of Rotary Club of North Renfrew? (doesn't seem a very common name "LT" RCNR Rotarian Member Talk: From Australia to Deep River ) I see an LT is also listed as a DRDCF Board Member.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

[Wonder who is now living in 25 Summit Street?]
    TB - all the LT's you mention are the same person (a very decent and nice guy, too). I had had a similar thought to yours - that Australia might be the connection. I don't know whether he and LC ever met, but it seems likely, living in the same small town and working at the same place. There are people here from many parts of the world, and it is not unusual for them to get together with their compatriots.

Don't know who the new resident at 25 Summit is (yet).

<rs&bbm>

Safetytwin, my apologies for any confusion between HW and HB. I will reiterate that HW, HB, HBH, CK are not names that factor into any findings of significance.

I guess my pattern-driven brain shorted out. I'm sure not infallible but for the life of me, I can't figure out how I mistook a little 4-letter surname on that list for a totally different 11-letter surname that I now can't find anywhere on the list.

Also am trying to figure out how I "dreamed up" an HB in DR ... maybe because HBH (Ottawa) and HB (Deep River) are affiliated with the DRSO. Am going to think long and hard on this one

Because the staff list was the launch pad for a particular direction i was heading, I went back to see if that change would alter any of my subsequent research. It doesn't.
    SB - thanks for the clarification, and absolutely no need for any apology. Goodness knows, it is easy enough to mis-read things or mis-remember them when we are tired and trying to juggle numerous thoughts and bits of data.

And you weren't dreaming - HB and HBH are one and the same. Not sure if the place of residence is currently DR or Ottawa, or even whether the H is still included in the surname.

<rs&bbm>

WHOA! you guys are getting me very confused, lol, specially paragraph #3 of sillybilly's post #2.

tarabull: Here is a link with some DR's art work
    I was trying to find a painting I saw of Lachlan's Albacore that I saw in his site long ago, but havent' been able to find it yet.
    Last edited by Hazel; 05-04-2010 at 11:29 PM. Reason: delete link ;)
    My posts are merely my humble opinion. Unless you are quoting within Websleuths Forums, you do not have my permission to copy nor use any post made by me for anything.
    ★ Thank you ★

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    WHOA! you guys are getting me very confused, lol, specially paragraph #3 of sillybilly's post #2.

tarabull: Here is a link with some DR's art work
    I was trying to find a painting I saw of Lachlan's Albacore that I saw in his site long ago, but havent' been able to find it yet.
    Thanks Hazel!
    Last edited by tarabull; 05-05-2010 at 09:36 PM.
    Don't believe EVERYTHING you think.

Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast