Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: George Huguely, UVA Lacrosse player, charged with murder of Yeardley Love

SmoothOperator is offline Sadly what connects all these puzzles is that there's a victim@the heart of each
    So as long as the inmate follows good behavior they are automatically released after serving the 85% instead of just being eligible as it was with parole... that now gone the prisoner automatically is released at the 85% mark(of course with no infractions incurred while incarcerated)...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SmoothOperator For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothOperator View Post
    So as long as the inmate follows good behavior they are automatically released after serving the 85% instead of just being eligible as it was with parole... that now gone the prisoner automatically is released at the 85% mark(of course with no infractions incurred while incarcerated)...
    That's the way I read it. Huguely will spend no less than 22 years in prison unless the judge reduces the sentence in April, or he could spend longer if while in prison he does something to extend his sentence beyond the 85%.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to evelyn24 For This Useful Post:

roughly the kind of sentence I expected, has any juror spoken about deliberations or the case yet

6. The Following User Says Thank You to joe jones For This Useful Post:

I'm disappointed in the sentence. GH5 should have received more time. What an insult to Love's family and friends. Once again, we see a man with a history of violence get a slap on the wrist for taking "his" woman's life.

I hate the whole "crimes of passion" meme, it treats women as property and excuses murder by throwing a warped definition of "love" into the mix. People who love you, don't beat you to death. People who view you as a possession do. But then this is Virginia, home of the state-mandated object rape bill so I guess I should be glad they didn't just go ahead and acquit him.
    all my comments are just my opinion. jmho. moo. etc. etc.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gxm For This Useful Post:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/23/justic...ial/index.html

Jury recommends 26 years in prison for former Virginia lacrosse player
    From Michael Christian, InSession
    updated 3:59 AM EST, Thu February 23, 2012

Charlottesville, Virginia (CNN) -- A judge is considering a jury recommendation that a former University of Virginia lacrosse player be sentenced up to 26 years in prison for his role in the death of his ex-girlfriend.

A jury returned the recommendation late Wednesday, hours after finding George Huguely V guilty of second-degree murder and grand larceny in the May 2010 death of Yeardley Love.

The case captured national attention with a spotlight shown on the volatile relationship of star athletes Huguely and 22-year-old Love, who both played lacrosse for the university's nationally-ranked teams.

Judge Edward Hogshire is expected to sentence 24-year-old Huguely on April 16, at which time he can accept or reduce the jury's recommendation....

If he gets anything less than the full 26 years I'll be
    Buttons updated 09-27-2014

Made by HD ----->

Warning: Some buttons may be offensive!
    BAD WORDS AND OFFENSIVE MATERIAL,
    AND STUFF LIKE THAT THERE!!

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Steely Dan For This Useful Post:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/george-hugu...ry?id=15773541

jury speaks, Yeardleys family release statement

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joe jones For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by joe jones View Post
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/george-hugu...ry?id=15773541

jury speaks, Yeardleys family release statement
    Something (among others) that bothers me is that in the article it says a little girl relative of Huguely's was crying hysterically when the verdict was read and saying "That's too much"...Is she brainwashed? Too young to realize that he took someone's LIFE?

I was hoping for a different verdict and a longer sentence, but maybe the jury really didn't feel there was premeditation, and if they gave him first degree murder, the judge would have cut the sentence down even lower than what was eventually given. I don't understand the jury ignoring the break-in and robbery, though. I think he deserves DP.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Columbo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Columbo View Post
    Something (among others) that bothers me is that in the article it says a little girl relative of Huguely's was crying hysterically when the verdict was read and saying "That's too much"...Is she brainwashed? Too young to realize that he took someone's LIFE?

I was hoping for a different verdict and a longer sentence, but maybe the jury really didn't feel there was premeditation, and if they gave him first degree murder, the judge would have cut the sentence down even lower than what was eventually given. I don't understand the jury ignoring the break-in and robbery, though. I think he deserves DP.
    My question is why would you bring what is described as a little girl to such a trial? It's not something a little kid should be exposed to imo.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to evelyn24 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by evelyn24 View Post
    My question is why would you bring what is described as a little girl to such a trial? It's not something a little kid should be exposed to imo.
    JMO, a ploy to try to invoke sympathy from the jury, no other reason.
    Just my opinion, of course.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cluciano63 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Columbo View Post

I agree Columbo, and you know what else really bothered me? I mean REEEEAAAALLLLY bothered me? That statement by Huguely's attorney, talking about how George was "fighting for fairness" and how "spiritual" he is. How he is proud to have represented George and how they're looking forward to some "corrections", implying the sentence was unjust.

GAG ME!!

What's fair about a 6', 200-plus lb young man beating a beautiful young girl to death? A young girl who had done nothing to deserve that sort of rage and cruelty? I'm struggling to see how one could describe George Huguely V as remotely spiritual, unless you mean he is fond of spirits.

Yes, Mr. Lawrence, I wish we could make some corrections, too. Namely your client getting the maximum sentence, that is.

"I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."
    -Martin Luther King, Jr.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Velouria For This Useful Post:

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Velouria View Post
    I agree Columbo, and you know what else really bothered me? I mean REEEEAAAALLLLY bothered me? That statement by Huguely's attorney, talking about how George was "fighting for fairness" and how "spiritual" he is. How he is proud to have represented George and how they're looking forward to some "corrections", implying the sentence was unjust.

GAG ME!!

What's fair about a 6', 200-plus lb young man beating a beautiful young girl to death? A young girl who had done nothing to deserve that sort of rage and cruelty? I'm struggling to see how one could describe George Huguely V as remotely spiritual, unless you mean he is fond of spirits.

Yes, Mr. Lawrence, I wish we could make some corrections, too. Namely your client getting the maximum sentence, that is.
    And.....Bring Yeardley back to her family and to live the life she had in front of her

Money sure talks, huh....

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Only4Justice For This Useful Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...pWR_story.html

more comments from a juror, seems the jury bought the defence argument in part that George did not intend to kill her, and seems one of the jurors had much influence on the sentence,

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joe jones For This Useful Post:

After reading the one juror's comments, I now believe more than ever that we have to get rid of this ridiculous "crime of passion" meme. All it does is excuse abuse and violence against (mostly) women. Enough already. Crimes of passion have nothing to do with "passion," or love, and everything to do with the antiquated notion that women are property and that men hold dominion over them. Calling a murder a "crime of passion" is just a fancy way of glorifying domestic violence. How do we go about getting the legal system (i.e., judges and juries) to start treating these crimes as the hate crimes they truly are?

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gxm For This Useful Post:

It was pretty clear that he didn't intend to kill her, if he had he would not have left her alive. So I think the jury made the right decision there.

I think a 5-10 year sentence would be more appropriate given the circumstances. That would give him time to reflect and mature. The problem with him is the consumption of alcohol. He would probably be a productive member of society without it, but with it (certainly at his currrent level of maturity) he is a danger. I think in cases like this (or any crime involving alcohol for that matter, including things like DUI, vandalism or common assault) the sentence should include a life-time prohibition on the use of alcohol, enforced by probation.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Tugela For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tugela View Post
    It was pretty clear that he didn't intend to kill her, if he had he would not have left her alive. So I think the jury made the right decision there.

I think a 5-10 year sentence would be more appropriate given the circumstances. That would give him time to reflect and mature. The problem with him is the consumption of alcohol. He would probably be a productive member of society without it, but with it (certainly at his currrent level of maturity) he is a danger. I think in cases like this (or any crime involving alcohol for that matter, including things like DUI, vandalism or common assault) the sentence should include a life-time prohibition on the use of alcohol, enforced by probation.

More like he left her to die. He took her laptop after the beating so they couldn't see the threatening emails. If he didn't think she was going to die why would he try to get rid of her laptop? Clearly if he thought she was going to live why bother because she'd be alive to tell who beat her.

Sorry, but I think he knew after he lost it that he did her in this time. Five or ten years is not enough for taking a life. Frankly this spoiled man deserved more than 26 years.

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to evelyn24 For This Useful Post:

ITA, evelyn24. GH5 left YL knowing she was seriously injured. IMO he probably thought she was dead. But instead of calling 911, he took her laptop with incriminating evidence and threw it away, and then he lied to his friends about where he had been. GH5 would have no reason to destroy evidence and fake an alibi if he had left YL alive and well.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gxm For This Useful Post:

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...167927365.html

Mother Seeks Leniency for “Beautiful Son” in UVA Lacrosse Murder
    By STEVE SZKOTAK
    | Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 | Updated 1:00 PM EDT

George W. Huguely V has entered the courtroom to receive sentencing in the May 2010 slaying of his ex-girlfriend Yeardley Love, NBC News reports.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Donjeta For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Donjeta View Post
    http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...167927365.html

Mother Seeks Leniency for “Beautiful Son” in UVA Lacrosse Murder
    By STEVE SZKOTAK
    | Thursday, Aug 30, 2012 | Updated 1:00 PM EDT

George W. Huguely V has entered the courtroom to receive sentencing in the May 2010 slaying of his ex-girlfriend Yeardley Love, NBC News reports.
    I'm gonna vomit. Sit on the other side of the courtroom lady, and then tell me how beautiful your son is.

Made by HD ----->

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steely Dan For This Useful Post:

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. — Witnesses at a sentencing hearing for a former University of Virginia lacrosse player are testifying about violent encounters in the years and months before he fatally beat his girlfriend.

One witness said Thursday that George W. Huguely V beat him after he went home from a party with Yeardley Love, while another said an angry Huguely put his hands around her neck in a bar.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1842494.html

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Donjeta For This Useful Post:

Pretty boy got:
    George Huguely V, the University of Virginia lacrosse player convicted of killing his college girlfriend, Yeardley Love of Cockeysville, was sentenced to 23 years in prison, according to news reports.

The jury that convicted him of second-degree murder and grand larceny in February had recommended 26 years. Charlottesville Circuit Judge Edward Hogshire, who presided over Huguely's trial, also gave him 1 year for grand larceny, which will be served concurrently. Huguely will get three additional years but they are suspended and will get credit for time served.
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bre...,5086633.story

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Donjeta For This Useful Post:

So sad today for Yeardleys' family....For George and his family I have nothing to say that can be posted.
    I feel that when he's released he may still be dangerous.
    jmo

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LietKynes For This Useful Post:

When he gets out, he'll still be a handsome young man, Yeardley Love will be long forgot & some other beautiful, intelligent woman will buy into the "tragic accident" excuse and wind up with a thread of her very own on Websleuths.

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hollyjokers For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hollyjokers View Post
    When he gets out, he'll still be a handsome young man, Yeardley Love will be long forgot & some other beautiful, intelligent woman will buy into the "tragic accident" excuse and wind up with a thread of her very own on Websleuths.
    Sportscenter just said he'll have to serve at least 85% of his sentence and that means he'll get out when he's 44.

Made by HD ----->

Quote Originally Posted by hollyjokers View Post
    Nah. He'll mess up in jail and get more time. Somebody like that is not going to be able to be good for long in jail, definitely not good for 85% of his sentence. He'll get into a fight and his sentence will be made longer. I will not be surprised when this happens.

47. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aedrys For This Useful Post:

UVA lacrosse player launches appeal after being jailed for 23 years for killing
    ex-girlfriend in drunken rage

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2IoK5INBg

49. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blondie in Spokane For This Useful Post:

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast