1338 users online (247 members and 1091 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

MA - Beryl Atherton, 47, Marblehead, 27 Nov 1950

YEars ago I read "Yankee" magazine-in a 1970's issue-cant remember- there was a article on a New England cold case murder-in 1950's an unmarried middle aged school teacher was murdered--no suspect is known.

Just thought I's mention this for the record

Her name was Beryl Atherton and she was strangled inside her Marblehead, MA home in 1950.

http://wbztv.com/local/Beryl.Atherto...2.1310034.html

And amazingly two seconds later I found the Yankee Magazine article as well, dated January 1978.

http://www.yankeemagazine.com/issues...r-Marblehead/1

Thanks for article!

No problem, I really enjoyed reading it actually. My husband's family has lived in that area for many years and most of them are teachers and yet I had never heard that story. What a bizarre story. I think she must have had a secret lover or something.

Quote Originally Posted by hmg View Post
    No problem, I really enjoyed reading it actually. My husband's family has lived in that area for many years and most of them are teachers and yet I had never heard that story. What a bizarre story. I think she must have had a secret lover or something.
    Very interesting mystery. The secret lover angle was my first thought as well.

My thought when I was reading the article was, somebody killed her to keep her from telling something she knew. From the article: "The cross-like cutting of the throat, he was sure, had no significance except as a crazed gesture to make sure the victim, already dead from strangulation, would never rise to talk again. It was no more rational than the breaking and scattering of the single blade."

That wouldn't preclude a secret lover; she might have said she was going to tell his wife about them, for instance.