907 users online (177 members and 730 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

did Granny go too far? Did Law Enforcement?

http://www.wtsp.com/news/mostpop/sto...1&provider=top

Collier says she invited her 18-year-old granddaughter, Felicia Collier, to her house so she could use her computer to do homework.

Felicia is finishing her senior year online after getting kicked out of Catholic school in Massachusetts, Collier explained.

"She said F-off to a nun! I would just crawl into a hole," said Collier.

On Tuesday, the newly turned 18-year-old did not want to obey her commands to complete her assignments.

"She kept repeating the F-word to me, about the whole family. She just went on and on and I just got so upset, I got up and slapped her across the face," she told 10 Connects, "She grabbed my wrists and I couldn't get out of it and she let one go and she punched me in the cheek here."

Felicia then called police to her grandmother's home, but even the teenager couldn't have imagined what happened next.

"The two officers came to each side of me and before I know it, they have my arms and they said, 'You're under arrest,' and they cuff me," Collier said tearfully.

Despite Felicia Collier's attempts to convince police not to arrest her grandmother, the officers took the woman into custody.

Theresa Collier describes the next 24 hours in jail as the worst hours of her life.

I know in this day and age statistics and studies show that corporal punishment may not be the best way to discipline your kids and that violence begets violence. But quite frankly, I'm with gramma on this one. If my 18 year old granddaughter acted that way towards me and spoke to me in that manner I can't say I wouldn't have done exactly the same thing.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by tlcya; 05-05-2010 at 12:18 PM.

Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi I Stand With Standing Rock

OMG! I am stunned! That young woman needed her face slapped! Poor granny....YES the police went too far!

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

So, apparently it was cool for the kid to assault granny, but not for granny to slap the girl for being a rude little jerk. Egads. However, if you sexually assault a baby or kill a baby, you're good to go. I don't know what is going on out there.

if she was a married woman and talked that way to her husband and he slapped her we'd all be sitting here saying 'there is never a reason to hit someone because of words' but since she's a teenager i guess its ok?

im not trying to argumentative, i just dont get the double standard. violence begets violence right? if i was 18 and my grandmother ever tried to lay a hand on me she would have found her kane shoved up her behind. i could take a ton of mental abuse from her (and i did) but no one ever lays a hand on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda View Post
    So, apparently it was cool for the kid to assault granny, but not for granny to slap the girl for being a rude little jerk. Egads. However, if you sexually assault a baby or kill a baby, you're good to go. I don't know what is going on out there.
    umm grandma slapped her first. the girl can just claim self defense.

its not anymore right to hit a disrespecting 18 year old then it is to hit an infant or toddler

I wonder how hard did Grandma slap the girl? Was it a tap to get her attention or a full blown slap that left marks or bruised?

If one was arrested, both should have been arrested and let the court settle it IMHO. A situation out of control.

I understand that the grandmother slapped her first. I'm not even saying it was right to slap her, although I can't really say I blame her. However, I still think it was a huge over-reaction of the police in this situation. Not when I see case after case of children being beat to death and the parent walks away with a slap on the wrist. No, I don't think it is comparable.

i think physically unprovoked violence of any kind is reprehensible. i dont even like spanking cause i feel its degrading and humiliating. you'd never spank and adult (unless your kinky or something) so why a child/teen?

if i was grandma i would have thrown her butt out of the house. would have actually caused less problems for her.

and the police did overeact, and i see, the girl felt bad that grandma got arrested.

I myself was torn with this one. We all know smacking a kid in this day and age is not a popular move. And yet, I am just trying to imagine me - at 18 - in my grammas face, defiant, yelling F this and F that and F you. I can't imagine it. I was raised to respect my elders.

1st off, my gramma would have smacked me right in the kisser as this granny did.

2ndly, I would never in a million years speak that way to my grandmother.

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

I remember a time my mom slapped my teenage brother upside the head. It was very uncharacteristic as my mom wasn't a physical disiplinarian but it was deserved IMO, he had just called her a b*tch. He never did it again tho, once was all it took for him to know he had pushed her waaaay to far.

ohhhhh how i wish 12 years after she was dead i had just smacked her one....i didnt have the balls to do it. hell if i even disagreed with her slightly i got a verbal beating from gramps too.

Don't get me wrong, I am not into physical displicine. I spent my childhood getting the crap beat out of me on a regular basis. But, I also think there are times when someone is pushed so far that they do something like slap a kid. I see a far difference between a slap in the mouth for someone who is pushing their limits to being beat on a regular basis. Whether right or wrong, I can't help feeling that this girl was begging to be slapped in the mouth and got what she deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by kbl8201 View Post
    if she was a married woman and talked that way to her husband and he slapped her we'd all be sitting here saying 'there is never a reason to hit someone because of words' but since she's a teenager i guess its ok?

im not trying to argumentative, i just dont get the double standard. violence begets violence right? if i was 18 and my grandmother ever tried to lay a hand on me she would have found her kane shoved up her behind. i could take a ton of mental abuse from her (and i did) but no one ever lays a hand on me.
    I hear what you are saying kbl8201. I think really - that this will get the teen's attention. I'm sorry for Grandma. I can only think what would have happened in my family had I done this!

Obviously the teen felt bad (and that's a good thing) and tried to beg the officers not to take Grandma. If this young lady doesn't straighten out after this - I fear she will be a lost child.

I bet in 2 months time though - this teen is pretty much walking the straight and narrow and is remorseful for the pain and anguish she has caused her grandmother. At least that is what I pray for - that this incident turns this teen into a loving and caring granddaughter.

Salem

Quote Originally Posted by kbl8201 View Post
    i think physically unprovoked violence of any kind is reprehensible. i dont even like spanking cause i feel its degrading and humiliating. you'd never spank and adult (unless your kinky or something) so why a child/teen?

if i was grandma i would have thrown her butt out of the house. would have actually caused less problems for her.

and the police did overeact, and i see, the girl felt bad that grandma got arrested.
    I think the police did the right thing. I think this is one of those areas where what looks to be a horrible thing actually turns out to be just what was needed.

The teen pushed her limits with grandma and it had severe consequences. Can you imagine the grief the teen is going through now with other members of her family, her grandma and hopefully - just herself? I really hope it was a lesson well learned!

Salem

Also - I like this LE office's policy of - domestic violence - someone goes to jail. That is as it should be, even if they get the wrong person sometimes. At least the wrong person will be safe till it all gets worked out.

Salem

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast