741 users online (80 members and 661 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Caylee's Law

I propose a law that any parent who doesnt report a child missing within 24 hours be incarcerated until the child is safe and/or the parent isnt suspected of additional crime.

PS I am aware of other Caylee laws that have been proposed:

I think my idea is more suitable
    Last edited by JBean; 05-05-2010 at 08:57 PM. Reason: removed link to petition site

"The only one I have pictures of, is my daughter. I wish she was going to be there Great. Iím going to make myself cry, if Iím not careful. HmmÖ I wonder what Iím missing for lunch. If Iím not careful, I may end up enjoying my absence today. At least I will miss one crappy meal."

Great idea. I remember the family whose adopted child went "missing",finally reported by a family member 9 years later. They claimed they thought he ran away.. Lock 'em up ! :
    Always ,just my opinion

We never saw it coming .Please talk to your teen even if you don't think you need to !
    Far more teens commit impulsive suicide without chronic depression
    Miss U James

Yes I'd love to see that. Add in a stipulation regarding people awaiting trial not being able to sell photos/videos, etc., of their 'alleged' victims for any purpose, some stiffer penalties for obstructing investigations into missing children, and mandatory jail sentences for accomplices in cover ups, and I'll be even happier! Amazing the things this case brings out which desperately need to be addressed. There are many more, but these seemed among the most glaring to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Horace Finklestein View Post
    Yes I'd love to see that. Add in a stipulation regarding people awaiting trial not being able to sell photos/videos, etc., of their 'alleged' victims for any purpose, some stiffer penalties for obstructing investigations into missing children, and mandatory jail sentences for accomplices in cover ups, and I'll be even happier! Amazing the things this case brings out which desperately need to be addressed. There are many more, but these seemed among the most glaring to me.
    I agree that the things you mention should be an added (perhaps added to the SOS law). I forget WHY the Son of Sam law doesnt already cover this.

"The only one I have pictures of, is my daughter. I wish she was going to be there Great. Iím going to make myself cry, if Iím not careful. HmmÖ I wonder what Iím missing for lunch. If Iím not careful, I may end up enjoying my absence today. At least I will miss one crappy meal."

I would however like to add to the Caylee's Law:

That the missing child should be appointed a guardian ad litem until the case is closed.

So, if I am out of town overnight and my dh does not report our child missing within 24 hours would I have to go to jail when I return and then prove I wasn't around?
    I do not agree with the GAL, because I would not want to have to fight for the right to make the decisions for my child or grandchild if I had nothing to do with the disappearance KWIM?

I see what you are saying, but I think it needs work LOL.
    Last edited by JBean; 05-05-2010 at 09:23 PM. Reason: clarify

Quote Originally Posted by OKaraMia View Post
    I forget WHY the Son of Sam law doesnt already cover this.

The reason, I imagine, is because in the US you are presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Quote Originally Posted by affinity View Post
    The reason, I imagine, is because in the US you are presumed innocent until proven guilty.
    That's correct as far as I know. She is only charged at this point, not convicted.
    A Mother's love is a lifelong commitment
    to selflessness

Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    So, if I am out of town overnight and my dh does not report our child missing within 24 hours would I have to go to jail when I return and then prove I wasn't around?
    I do not agree with the GAL, because I would not want to have to fight for the right to make the decisions for my child or grandchild if I had nothing to do with the disappearance KWIM?

This law wouldnt affect you until your child HAS been reported missing...I wouldnt think an overnight trip out of town would be a problem for you
    Youd know where your child is.

AGA doesnt make all the choices, but insure choices are made in the best interest of the child.

Thats what I was thinking. That seems like an easy fix. A mild adjustment to say something like...no profit can be made until suspect has been cleared of charges?

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3444066"]Florida's Son of Sam law - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post

Yes...this premise is excellent but needs tweaking. The 31 days is so ludacris that imo is worthy of a conviction all by itself. But what it did was allow the perp/family to hide the body, concoct stories and lies and obliterate as much evidence as possible. This should not be. How can we fix this so it can never happen to a precious innocent little one again?

Quote Originally Posted by Horace Finklestein View Post

A big AMEN to that .

Not always - there are exceptions to that. For example, your license will be suspended in my home state when you are arrested for dui - pre conviction and it's automatic and if one refuses a breath test, you have an automatic year suspension of your license. This would be one of those exceptions which would prevent a person from scheming to profit from a heinous crime. It makes sense.
    Justice for GEORGE!

Not trying to be a party pooper here - but many parents who genuinely care about their children have runaways - children or more often teenage children who do not want to be at home.

What would your rule be about those cases? Obviously in those cases the parents will want to report their children missing but many PO's will not take a report at all for 24 hours.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast