Caylee's Law

Status
Not open for further replies.

OKaraMia

Reaction score
I propose a law that any parent who doesnt report a child missing within 24 hours be incarcerated until the child is safe and/or the parent isnt suspected of additional crime.

PS I am aware of other Caylee laws that have been proposed:

I think my idea is more suitable :twocents:

Great idea. I remember the family whose adopted child went "missing",finally reported by a family member 9 years later. They claimed they thought he ran away.. Lock 'em up ! :

Yes I'd love to see that. Add in a stipulation regarding people awaiting trial not being able to sell photos/videos, etc., of their 'alleged' victims for any purpose, some stiffer penalties for obstructing investigations into missing children, and mandatory jail sentences for accomplices in cover ups, and I'll be even happier! Amazing the things this case brings out which desperately need to be addressed. There are many more, but these seemed among the most glaring to me.

Yes I'd love to see that. Add in a stipulation regarding people awaiting trial not being able to sell photos/videos, etc., of their 'alleged' victims for any purpose, some stiffer penalties for obstructing investigations into missing children, and mandatory jail sentences for accomplices in cover ups, and I'll be even happier! Amazing the things this case brings out which desperately need to be addressed. There are many more, but these seemed among the most glaring to me.

I agree that the things you mention should be an added (perhaps added to the SOS law). I forget WHY the Son of Sam law doesnt already cover this.

:waitasec:

I would however like to add to the Caylee's Law:

That the missing child should be appointed a guardian ad litem until the case is closed.

So, if I am out of town overnight and my dh does not report our child missing within 24 hours would I have to go to jail when I return and then prove I wasn't around?
I do not agree with the GAL, because I would not want to have to fight for the right to make the decisions for my child or grandchild if I had nothing to do with the disappearance KWIM?

I see what you are saying, but I think it needs work LOL.

The reason, I imagine, is because in the US you are presumed innocent until proven guilty.

That's correct as far as I know. She is only charged at this point, not convicted.

So, if I am out of town overnight and my dh does not report our child missing within 24 hours would I have to go to jail when I return and then prove I wasn't around?
I do not agree with the GAL, because I would not want to have to fight for the right to make the decisions for my child or grandchild if I had nothing to do with the disappearance KWIM?

This law wouldnt affect you until your child HAS been reported missing...I wouldnt think an overnight trip out of town would be a problem for you :)
Youd know where your child is.

AGA doesnt make all the choices, but insure choices are made in the best interest of the child.

The reason, I imagine, is because in the US you are presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Thats what I was thinking. That seems like an easy fix. A mild adjustment to say something like...no profit can be made until suspect has been cleared of charges?

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3444066"]Florida's Son of Sam law - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Yes...this premise is excellent but needs tweaking. The 31 days is so ludacris that imo is worthy of a conviction all by itself. But what it did was allow the perp/family to hide the body, concoct stories and lies and obliterate as much evidence as possible. This should not be. How can we fix this so it can never happen to a precious innocent little one again?

A big AMEN to that .

Not always - there are exceptions to that. For example, your license will be suspended in my home state when you are arrested for dui - pre conviction and it's automatic and if one refuses a breath test, you have an automatic year suspension of your license. This would be one of those exceptions which would prevent a person from scheming to profit from a heinous crime. It makes sense.

Not trying to be a party pooper here - but many parents who genuinely care about their children have runaways - children or more often teenage children who do not want to be at home.

What would your rule be about those cases? Obviously in those cases the parents will want to report their children missing but many PO's will not take a report at all for 24 hours.

a better idea for a law would be that no one (or no company) be permitted to purchase anything whatsoever pertaining to any crime (stories/photos) until after acquittal/conviction. .....That would be fairly impossible to enforce, but a girl can dream, can't she?

I understand where this is coming from, I can't believe ANYONE would just decide not to report their child missing - but I fail to see how something like this would help the situation. And honestly, KC basically was incarcerated within a day of police finding out that her daughter had essentially been missing a month. And in general, I'm just not a fan of creating more laws and legislation that are not absolutely essential. Having said that I DO think that there should be an automatic charge of neglect or some kind of punishment for not reporting your child missing within a timely manner, based on the circumstances...

That goes to "I thought he/she was with you" law. Too many times parents think the other parent are on top of things and they are not. Case in point, the child who's left behind in their carseat. Both parents thought the other took the baby out and put it to bed. Parents don't find out until the next morning the baby isn't in the crib :( Not that would apply to Caylee's law -- but too many babies are being lost these days.

I agree with the overall sense of the sugesstion, but it would need some tweeking :)

Hugs,

Mel

a better idea for a law would be that no one (or no company) be permitted to purchase anything whatsoever pertaining to any crime (stories/photos) until after acquittal/conviction. .....That would be fairly impossible to enforce, but a girl can dream, can't she?

Well then what would I do without my weekly Caysey stories in the Enquirer! Ok, I have to fess up -- I buy it if any of "our" cases are mentioned on the cover.

MOO

Mel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads