Judge Sends Woman To Jail For Crude T-Shirt

Cubby

fly the W!
Reaction score
Judge Sends Woman To Jail For Crude T-Shirt

'I Have The P***y, So I Make The Rules,' Jennifer LaPenta's T-Shirt Read

WAUKEGAN, Ill. (CBS) ―
<DL class="cbstv_article_images cbstv_img_border" sizset="2" sizcache="0"><DT> </DT>
</DL>
A judge sent a Round Lake Beach woman to jail for two days this week, after the woman came to court wearing a T-shirt with a snarky slogan featuring a crude word for the female anatomy.

Associate Judge Helen Rozenberg held Jennifer LaPenta, who was attending a hearing in a friend's case, in contempt of court for wearing a T-shirt that read: "I have the p***y, so I make the rules."

The judge asked LaPenta, 19, if she thought her shirt was appropriate. LaPenta said she told the judge that it would have been inappropriate if she had been the defendant.

full article at link:

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/obscene.t.shirt.2.1678713.html

Also from the above link:

LaPenta told the Chicago Tribune she offered to take the T-shirt off, but Judge Rozenberg refused, and ordered LaPenta jailed for 48 hours for contempt of court.

I'm sure if she had an alternative shirt to wear she would have changed prior to walking into the court room.

It never ceases to amaze me how little respect people have for the court.

never ceases to amaze me how judges waste jail cells on frivilous nonsense while they let pedophiles and murderers run wild

I have to agree with kbl, this woman serves jail time, but people charged with animal abuse or child abuse get no time at all. Ridiculous.

I remember back to the 70's when women had to wear dresses or skirts to court, which was really outrageous. If some tatooed up male comes to court I wonder if this judge makes him cover himself or makes the foul mouthed attorneys not cuss when they're all out having drinks or attending parties. He could have just told her to leave the court room since there's probably no law against t shirts with certain words on them.

I bet under his robe he dons a tee shirt that reads "I have the gavel..so I make the rules!"

Why do people feel they need to wear shirts like that? I mean, how many children did she pass on the street on the way to the courtroom. The mother in me is screaming right now!!!!

I guess it's true poor taste and/or disrespect of this kind are not illegal, but I tend to hold Kimberly's rather "parental" perspective. The judge obviously did this to teach her a lesson and make an example of her. If I were the judge and it were "MY" courtroom, I'm sure I'd already have established expectations of decency that I'd strictly uphold.

However, it seems to me this girl was just reeeally, reeeally naive. I think I might've given her jail time for contempt of court, too, if her attitude were challenging and full of contempt.

If she were apologetic, though...with no prior record? Sounds like she wasn't trying to do anything that "flies in the face of authority," but rather, she was sorely self-unaware and obviously uneducated about some nuances of the justice system.

Practicality aside, though...I'd be mad as a wet hen if my kids and I went to court for any reason and saw that young lady sitting there in that t-shirt. Hopping mad, I say.

i'll say again, 2 days in jail for a crude tshirt.

baby abusers get probation (check crimes in the news and you'll see what i mean)

yeah she disrespect the judge, and the court.

maybe him in particular, i dont know what kind of judge he is.

but our system as a whole and our judges in general are a pathetic joke.

I would have done the same thing, she should be found in contempt that is highly disrespectful no matter how you look at it. Who in their right mind thinks a shirt like that is ok to wear anywhere let alone a courtroom.

She said she was embarassed over the incident, well she should be ! Maybe the next time she decides to wear some vulgar clothing she will think about it.

Someone mentioned parental perspective. It is about paying for private schooling....- Where as a parent I have a choice in letting what kind of stuff my child sees....

Ugh.... Just ew.... No thanks.... Go call on the whatever union -someone needs- to call on for your right to be a lady talking like a sailor. It is my right to not care for it and my right as a parent to teach my child that kind of sailor talk or hoochie mama speak is not for us. and our right to call it down right UHG-LEEEEEEE

Cubs'ter --

I don't have a problem with the Judge doing this.
Wearing a shirt like this in the court was a slap in the face to the judge.
I imagine she has seen countless people come in there on charges and she might have felt this was a way to get the girls attention before she follows in her friends footsteps and is in front of her.
I'm wondering what her friend was in court for?
If she was put into general population at the jail this young girl would be finding out very quickly that just because she has a .... she doesn't make the rules there! Maybe she is capable of learning from this, but then again maybe not.

VB

I imagine his wife is that shirt in real life.

I thought the judge was a man also, but then read the article, Judge's first name is female so I'm thinking judge is a she and not a he :)

VB

I thought the judge was a man also, but then read the article, Judge's first name is female so I'm thinking judge is a she and not a he :)

VB

Wow! Doesn't that put a bit of a tighter twist on things! A female judge would find that shirt contemptuous on an added level.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back