TN - Chris Newsom, 23, & Channon Christian, 21, murdered, Knoxville, 6 Jan 2007 #16

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuziQ

Former Member
Reaction score
Previous threads:
Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5
Thread #6
Thread #7
Thread #8
Thread #9
Thread #10
Thread #11
Thread #12
Thread #13

Thread #14
Thread #15

Watch live here:Or here:
http://www.wate.com/global/Category.asp?c=173163

(These are unedited video feeds of the trial, likely to contain graphic testimony, images, and descriptions of a violent crime. Please be advised.)
Full Coverage and Background info:Videos:
Twitter links:
Jamie Satterfield - Knoxville News Sentinel:
http://twitter.com/jamiescoop

WBIR:
http://twitter.com/wbirymartinez

WATE:
http://twitter.com/gpatterson12
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Names for reference:
Victims:
Chris Newsom
Channon Christian

Judge:
Richard Baumgartner

Attorneys for Prosecution:
Takisha Fitzgerald, AKA "TK"
Leland Price

Defense attorneys:
Thomas Dillard
Stephen Johnson

Parents:
Hugh and Mary Newsom
Gary and Deena Christian

I honestly don't think VC is going to get out of this without at least one life sentence. She'll probably get the DP for Channon's murder. And for what? Because she wouldn't tell the truth when she was offered immunity. It was really simple, tell the whole truth, nothing but the truth, and she would have walked! So, instead of doing the right thing, and admitting that she took part in guarding Channon in the bathroom when Daphne showed up, and staying at the house (when everyone else went for their little drive), and guarding Channon, she lies and covers up her involvement. She must think everyone is as stupid as she is. And I can't get past her taking Channon's chapstick either.

I think that VC is as bad as the rest of them, maybe worse. I hope the jury sees her for what she is.

As for her "lawyer," he's not doing her any favors by yelling at the witnesses. The jury is NOT going to appreciate this. He's not acting in her best interest at all. Yes, he should question the witnesses, but he doesn't have to accuse them of lying like he did Waggoner (sp).

ETA: VC could have been a hero in all of this. She could have saved Channon's life when the four left in Channon's vehicle. All she would have had to do is take Channon and go to a neighbors and call the police. I don't think there was any way Chris's life could have been saved, but Channon's could have. For this reason alone, I feel VC deserves the DP.

The above is JMO, MOO, IMO, and all other disclaimers.

Good morning peeps! Will we get a look at the journal today? Will Coleman sink further and further into that chair she's sitting in?

Good morning SuziQ. Thank you again. I am able to listen to the trial while working but of course there's always interruptions. I know I can always click over to this thread and read your posts to catch up.

Snipped:

ETA: VC could have been a hero in all of this. She could have saved Channon's life when the four left in Channon's vehicle. All she would have had to do is take Channon and go to a neighbors and call the police. I don't think there was any way Chris's life could have been saved, but Channon's could have. For this reason alone, I feel VC deserves the DP.

The above is JMO, MOO, IMO, and all other disclaimers.

That's what I can't understand. How cold-hearted do you have to be to not try to do something to help Channon. Oh wait, I forgot, she brought her water. I doubt she even did that.

Good morning all and a Happy Friday to you all!! :)

I'm thinking VC is going to get LWOP. I would be surprised if she gets dealth (not that I don't think they ALL deserved it). Only because Cobbins only got LWOP and they found his DNA in Channon, had proof he was part of the rapes.

I agree the chapstick really sticks out to me. Well her keeping all of the things of Channon's she had does too. And I also agree that if she was really afraid for her life, she would have went straight to police asap and she would have been freaking out. I keep thinking how I would have reacted had I been in VC's shoes and they had threatened to kill me if I told. As soon as all 4 of them left, I would have ran straight to the nearest phone and called police and I would have been freaking out about everything that had happened and everything I saw. I would have leapt at the chance for witness protection and would have ratted them all out.

JMO

The judge is there. I don't see any of the parents yet.

Leland talking schedule today. Finish with Waggoner, a few evidence witnesses? Then Todd Childress, another LE officer who interviewed Vanessa.

They are on page 15 of transcript.

WTH Vanessa? Do you think that life is a phone sex line? Her tone of voice is annoying and offensive.

Good morning to all. I wonder if this is her normal speaking voice. It is so childlike. The transcript helps a lot.

Good morning, everyone. They finally panned to the parents.

191jpw.jpg

2v1kiac.jpg

I wouldn't mind her voice so much, if she weren't talking about such horrors. Her singsong/matter-of fact voice talking about that just screams that she has no sensitivity or shame.

I'm not defending Vanessa, but my voice and two of my sisters are this way. The more nervous I am the softer my voice gets. Got it from our mother. She's 80 now and people call her on the phone and ask to speak to her mother.

Coleman - "I was scared out of my mind really"

Cobbins got "mad at me because I tried leave, threw me against wall" - Coleman

Davidson later "was spraying something in her mouth. It smelled like bleach" - Coleman

Coleman - Davidson told her check Channon's pulse, yelled at her when she "couldn't tell" if had one

Davidson tried "snap" Channon's neck before getting b/h her and wrapping arms round neck - Coleman

She denies holding Channon in bathroom when Sutton dropped by, says Davidson put her in bedroom closet

Jurors listening to Coleman's Jan. 31 statement

Thanks so much for covering everything. I'm at work, so I have to keep logging in and out as I can to keep up. I would miss everything if you guys weren't keeping tabs for us. :)

I think they redacted this part - can't remember exactly where they picked back up - I think just before the last line:
14m5028.jpg

They skipped a lot of his confrontational statements to her on pages 42-44...

Coleman responded, "Yes, it'd be lot of pain. I didn't hear nothing. Looks like lot of pain"

KPD's Flores and Childress show Coleman pics of Channon's battered body. "Would u scream?" they ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie