CA - American students catch heat for wearing red, white & blue on Cinco de Mayo

tlcya

Old and Re-Tired Websleuth
Reaction score
This caught my attention this morning and wanted to know if I am the only one who said - huh?

http://www.ktvu.com/news/23470391/detail.html

If I read this right, an American high school which is heavily populated with Latinos told students they could not wear stars & stripes or red white and blue (Patriotic) clothing to school on Cinco de Mayo as it would hurt the feelings of Latino students who feel disrespected.

Umm, I get that Cinco de Mayo is an important holiday in the latino culture but uh - last time I checked - this is America. Patriotism is not illegal, immoral, disrespectful.

I do not think students have the right to or should be allowed to disrespect others for their cultural diferences, but telling students that wearing red white and blue is disrespectful?? If anything, it is the attitudes of students that are disrespectful, not their partiotic clothing. How about the school deal with the racial tensions by addressing the attitudes?

I may catch flack for this but I don't care. I need to say it.

At what point is enough enough?

The beauty of America is that we have freedom of speech and the right to express our patriotism if we want to. If you don't like it - then speak up and say your piece. Free speech is afforded to everyone. However, Cinco de Mayo is not a national holiday here. It is owed no special respect from Americans who are not Latino and do not celebrate it.

What burns me is that a vice principal made the decision to send students home for wearing their american "colors" and pride. They were NOT dressed inapropriately, they were covered, presentable, etc.

I am so sick of having to tiptoe around special interest groups. There is tolerance and then there is plain old stupidity.

MOO

This caught my attention this morning and wanted to know if I am the only one who said - huh?

If I read this right, an American high school which is heavily populated with Latinos told students they could not wear stars & stripes or red white and blue (Patriotic) clothing to school on Cinco de Mayo as it would hurt the feelings of Latino students who feel disrespected.

Umm, I get that Cinco de Mayo is an important holiday in the latino culture but uh - last time I checked - this is America. Patriotism is not illegal, immoral, disrespectful.

I do not think students have the right to or should be allowed to disrespect others for their cultural diferences, but telling students that wearing red white and blue is disrespectful?? If anything, it is the attitudes of students that are disrespectful, not their partiotic clothing. How about the school deal with the racial tensions by addressing the attitudes?

The beauty of America is that we have freedom of speech and the right to express our patriotism if we want to. If you don't like it - then speak up and say your piece. Cinco de Mayo is not a national holiday here. It is owed no special respect from Americans who are not Latino and do not celebrate it.

What burns me is that a vice principal made the decision to send students home for wearing their american "colors" and pride. They were NOT dressed inapropriately, they were covered, presentable, etc.

I am so sick of having to tiptoe around special interest groups. There is tolerance and then there is plain old stupidity.

MOO

What I did not see in the article was any mention of how the students of Latino culture were choosing to celebrate Cinco de Mayo at the school. I need that information to have an informed opinion.

I do agree that it is not the clothing that is a problem, it is the attitude of the youth involved, possibly on both sides. I have no problem with celebrating your culture and your heretige. When it becomes a problem is when someone does it in a disrespectful way. Or when someone feels it is disrespectful. I have noticed many youth today believe anything different, or any rules being enforced is disrespectful towards them. That needs to be addressed before anything else. Tolerence towards others, in general, appears to be very low. IMO, intolerence has become less about age, gender, and race, and more about anyone who has a different thought or idea. However, the media, and certian special rights groups, continue to make a big deal out of every event and turn it into an issue about race or discrimination. Yes, discrimination continues to happen and it should be brought to light. But not everything is about race or ethnicity. I believe the media tends to inflame issues, which only contributes to the intolerence.

Quite frankly, I am curious about that as well. I am not sure and like you wish I had that information. Honestly, if there was some sort of organized celebration of Cinco de Mayo at school I would be sort of upset by that.

Picture me as a white person, living in Mexico, as citizen or not, with children attending school there and then expecting them to not only honor the fourth of july but expecting mexican students to not wear the colors of their flag that day as it might be disrespectful to me.

IDK, when I put the shoe on the other foot, it just seems ridiculous.

I agree with you 100% that everything lately is blown into a race thing and it is in no way helping resolve tensions, but rather, escalating them.

This story is dominating our talk radio. there are a lot of peaved people particularly the parents of these kids.

The beauty of America is that we have freedom of speech and the right to express our patriotism if we want to. If you don't like it - then speak up and say your piece. Free speech is afforded to everyone. However, Cinco de Mayo is not a national holiday here. It is owed no special respect from Americans who are not Latino and do not celebrate it.

MOO

BBM - Yep, this is America and I'm so tired of chit like this I could scream!!!!! :banghead:

It may not be illegal to be patriotic, but we are to be made to feel guilty of loving our county all the time!
It's time to take back our country and quit worrying so dad gum much about hurting people's feelings. Do they worry about hurting mine? NOPE!!!!

Sad fact is, as Americans, we are losing more and more freedoms because of other people's "feelings" or "beliefs".

Enough is Enough!

I fly my flag proudly and buy products made in the USA whenever possible. I'm proud of my country and my forefathers who fought hard and died to make it the best country on Earth. If that makes me a bad person or if I hurt someone's feelings, I could care less. No One is keeping anyone here. If you prefer to go to school without having to look at Red, White, and Blue clothes, go to another country. You have the freedom to do that.

This has to change.

Sending kids home because they are wearing the colors of OUR flag is discrimination. No matter how you look at it. But, for some reason, it’s ok to discriminate against Americans. Had this been turned around and the discrimination was against a different nationality, there would be public outcry. So why not shout and have our voices be heard. American children deserve the same rights as everyone else. But we are slowly losing our rights because politically correct has gone too far.

IMO, everybody wants to be equal. That’s fine. Let’s treat everyone as equals, because they are. Those kids should have been able to wear whatever they wanted that day. As long as it is appropriate.

What gets me is “because it would hurt their feelings”. GMAB

I’m sure my feelings would be hurt if I got a phone call to come pick up my daughter because she was wearing red, white, and blue colors. I’d be red hot actually.

What I think is sad is the fact that we are not the melting pot we talk about being. It shows 'me' just how separate we still are. Very sad in my opinion, and I'm talking about both sides here.

Ima

What I think is sad is the fact that we are not the melting pot we talk about being. It shows 'me' just how separate we still are. Very sad in my opinion, and I'm talking about both sides here.

Ima

I agree!
We know how this country was ran for hundreds of years. Discrimination and racism was awfull.

This country has made great strides IMO. It's not perfect, but hey, compared to 75 years ago, it's night and day.

Now, after all these years of fighting for equal rights for all, suddenly American's rights are being stripped as to not hurt anybody's feelings.

To me, that is taking Political Correctness a little too far. KWIM

There have been several threads over the past few days kinda stemming on the same concept.

Equal is Equal! Equal is not less, Equal is not more. Equal is Equal. We should all be treated equal.

Equal is Equal! Equal is not less, Equal is not more. Equal is Equal. We should all be treated equal.

BBM and snipped

It feels as if some folks are confused about what equal means. To them it seems to mean entitled and that is not the meaning of equality. At the risk of being misunderstood, I am just plain sick of it. Everyone seems to feel entitled to feel "special". Yes we are all special in our own unique way and our diferences should be celebrated. However, none of us is SO very special that we can feel entitled to have everyone else tiptoe around us and bend over backwards.

FYI world equal does not = entitled

BBM and snipped

It feels as if some folks are confused about what equal means. To them it seems to mean entitled and that is not the meaning of equality. At the risk of being misunderstood, I am just plain sick of it. Everyone seems to feel entitled to feel "special". Yes we are all special in our own unique way and our diferences should be celebrated. However, none of us is SO very special that we can feel entitled to have everyone else tiptoe around us and bend over backwards.

FYI world equal does not = entitled

I didn't feel the "thanks" button was enough. You have put my thoughts into words very well.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/07/tensions-high-california-high-school-following-flag-flap/

...The five teens -- (I snipped the names of the students in case they are minors)-- were sitting at a table outside Live Oak High School Wednesday morning when Assistant Principal Miguel Rodriguez asked two of them to remove their American flag bandannas, one of the boys' parents told FoxNews.com. The youths complied, but were asked to accompany Rodriguez to the principal's office.

The students were then told they must turn their T-shirts inside-out or be sent home, though it would not be considered a suspension. Rodriguez told the students he did not want any fights to break out between Mexican-American students celebrating their heritage and those wearing American flags, the parent said.

But Jones said the preemptive action was unnecessary, and that Rodriguez "overstepped his bounds."

IMHO this isn't about celebrating Cinco de Mayo. This is about an administrator of that school who made a very bad call.

Instead of pre-empting any tensions he has exacerbated them. To the point that the a lot of the country is in an uproar about it. JMHO

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/07/tensions-high-california-high-school-following-flag-flap/

IMHO this isn't about celebrating Cinco de Mayo. This is about an administrator of that school who made a very bad call.

Instead of pre-empting any tensions he has exacerbated them. To the point that the a lot of the country is in an uproar about it. JMHO

ITA. This should have been handled by dealing with obvious tensions that exist year round between these groups of students, not in the way it was handled by the VP.

With the national climate being what it is right now and with all the attention/press AZ is getting over this new law of theirs, the last thing that should have been done is what was done.

Now both sides of the AZ issues can rally round this and the only thing that will be gained by that is the two groups of students who are having issues are going to further escalate and the conflict within this school will grow.

I feel pretty much the same way about St. Patrick's Day, really makes me want to get out there and wear all my American Flag clothes.

I'm not watching TV but rather listening as I am on the computer and they were reporting that protesters were there at the school. What I took the report to say was that these particular protesters were not students. I hope the building is secured so that the outside protesters can't harm any of the children at school today if it escalates. JMHO and retelling of what I heard on TV I don't have a link to support right this minute.

I feel pretty much the same way about St. Patrick's Day, really makes me want to get out there and wear all my American Flag clothes.

<snort> thanks for the humor I.B.Nora!

And because we live in the land of the free, the home of the brave...you should do just that if the mood strikes. And you should be able to do that without being made to feel ashamed or like you are doing something wrong. IMO

I am hispanic, I live in West Texas, and I am currently sitting here listening to Tejano music blaring from speakers at the high school across the street. Why?? Because the school officials think it is ok for the hispanic kids to celebrate this non American holiday because it is their right. What?? I don't get it this holiday has nothing to do with this country. My husband has already called the school and complaint because we woke up this morning and thought we had been transported to a bar in Mexico, I mean Tejano music IS bar music! Well the school kindly informed him that after lunch there would be a Tejano Band from Odessa joining the festivities. My husband told them that this is not right and it is disrespectful to us, this is a residential street. I feel like my American civil rights are being violated because I am having to sit here in my home and listen to this obnoxious noise! Sorry having to vent, I don't see that this holiday celebration is advantageous to higher learning. My husband told the school that they need to have a celebration equivalent to this on fourth of July. PS, I think I'll go outside and hang up my American flag!

Personally I think choosing to wear red, white and blue on this particular day shows a sort of instigation on part of students, unless they wear those clothes every day...what other reason would they have had to do it except to cause controversy? And it takes so little these days, with all of the anti-immigration business going on. IMO they wanted to create a sensation and they did.

Personally I think choosing to wear red, white and blue on this particular day shows a sort of instigation on part of students, unless they wear those clothes every day...what other reason would they have had to do it except to cause controversy? And it takes so little these days, with all of the anti-immigration business going on. IMO they wanted to create a sensation and they did.

:yes:Just being stinkers is what I thought. JMHO But then again I'm soft on kids especially boys and especially when they are being stinkers! :)

And because we live in the land of the free, the home of the brave...you should do just that if the mood strikes. And you should be able to do that without being made to feel ashamed or like you are doing something wrong. IMO

I don't think the kids should have been disciplined, but I do think that, unless they were in the habit of wearing American-flag clothes occasionally (which I doubt), they were exhibiting mild anti-Mexican sentiments. If I lived in a foreign country and there was a July 4 celebration with American themes and my neighbors chose that day of all others to wear clothes displaying their country's flag, I would get the anti-American message.
So, I don't think the kids were doing anything very wrong, but I do think they were being jerks. It should have been ignored.

ETA Cluciano, I wish I'd read your post first. It said this much better!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rangelmcguire
Back