803 users online (137 members and 666 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Canada - Toronto, Ont, Human remains in park, May'10 - Abu-Ubaida Atieque

Unidentified remains found in Toronto region. I thought this might be of interest to a few cases ongoing on WS.

Toronto police are investigating the discovery of human remains found friday at a Scarborough park. The remains were spotted by a passerby at the Morningside Avenue entrance to Morningside park who then called police.

It isn't known yet if the remains are that of a man or woman or how long they have been there, but they appear to be badly decomposed. Police sources say they are not those of 18-year-old Mariam Makhniashvili who disappeared September 14, 2009...
    More at:
    http://www.globalwinnipeg.com/Human+...089/story.html
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 03-04-2012 at 04:50 PM.

Police investigate discovery of human remains
    Updated: Fri May. 07 2010 4:00:54 PM
    ctvtoronto.ca
    Property and clothing have also been found at the scene.

Morningside Park is bounded by Ellesmere Road to the north, Morningside Avenue to the east and Orton Park Road to the west.

more: http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...TorontoNewHome
    My posts are merely my humble opinion. Unless you are quoting within Websleuths Forums, you do not have my permission to copy nor use any post made by me for anything.
    ★ Thank you ★

My posts are merely my humble opinion. Unless you are quoting within Websleuths Forums, you do not have my permission to copy nor use any post made by me for anything.
    ★ Thank you ★

so if they already know it's not Mariam, then I speculate it's obviously a man?

Quote Originally Posted by LadyL View Post

CP24 JUST reported that the remains were that of a man. They have been known to make mistakes, but there's a 50/50 chance of this being correct.
    Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument. - William E. Gladstone

★ Thank you ★

Quote Originally Posted by LadyL View Post
    Or a child, or non-Caucasian.

I wondered if there was any possibility that it might have been the remains of Elizabeth Bain, the Scarborough, U of T student, whose body was never recovered??

That park is SO close to home!

Quote Originally Posted by Violet_Foxglove View Post
    I wondered if there was any possibility that it might have been the remains of Elizabeth Bain, the Scarborough, U of T student, whose body was never recovered??

That park is SO close to home!
    I wait not so patiently for these remains to be identified. Could it be Elizabeth? I also wonder if it could be another victim of Russell Williams because this is also near the Scarborough campus of the University of Toronto where Russ went to school.

Pics of Morningside Park

http://www.google.ca/images?rlz=1T4A...ed=0CD8QsAQwBQ
    Last edited by Patience; 05-08-2010 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patience View Post
    I wait not so patiently for these remains to be identified. Could it be Elizabeth? I also wonder if it could be another victim of Russell Williams because this is also near the Scarborough campus of the University of Toronto where Russ went to school.

Pics of Morningside Park

http://www.google.ca/images?rlz=1T4A...ed=0CD8QsAQwBQ
    I am waiting not so patiently also. When I first heard about it that was my first reaction that it was E. Bain -given the area where she went missing. I grew up right in that area and I know the park really well.

If is was E Bain then the remains would be completely skeletonized. LE stated that it is not Mariam Mahkniashvili so my guess is that the remains are not completely skeletal. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by matou View Post
    If is was E Bain then the remains would be completely skeletonized. LE stated that it is not Mariam Mahkniashvili so my guess is that the remains are not completely skeletal. JMO
    ITA. Late last night, CP24 reported (on TV, but not online) that the remains were those of a male. I couldn't find any confirmation of this anywhere today. In fact, there appear to be no updates on this story since then. This revelation could very well be another example of the media jumping the gun.

JMO

EDIT: Just found this:

"the remains were that of a male"

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/sto...rningside.html
    Last edited by antiquegirl; 05-08-2010 at 12:45 PM.
    Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument. - William E. Gladstone

I am wondering if it might be Sandy Abt, who's been missing some time - I started a thread for him somewhere a while back - I'll add the link when I can.

Missing for a year: Where is Sandy?

Jacquie House fears the worst ‘because we have nothing to go on…'
    October 08, 2009
    BY CHERRI GREENO, RECORD STAFF
    PUSLINCH — The pain doesn't get easier.

If anything, it gets worse as the days drag on for Jacquie House.

One year ago yesterday, on Oct. 7, 2008, her brother disappeared. No one — not police, family or friends — can figure out what happened.

“I think he's been killed,” she said of her brother, Alexander Byron Abt, known as Sandy to his friends. “Because we have nothing to go on.”

Sandy, 44, was last seen working at Schneider's Refinishing on Forwell Road, where he painted cars and trucks. His mother had taken him his dinner at around 5 p.m.

“I know there are people that know what happened,” House said.
    More at:
    http://news.therecord.com/article/609779

EDIT: Mr Abt's WS thread:
    Canada - Ontario - Alexander Byron Abt, 45 - October 6, 2008 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
    Last edited by KateB; 05-02-2015 at 11:09 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

Quote Originally Posted by antiquegirl View Post
    ITA. Late last night, CP24 reported (on TV, but not online) that the remains were those of a male. I couldn't find any confirmation of this anywhere today. In fact, there appear to be no updates on this story since then. This revelation could very well be another example of the media jumping the gun.

JMO

EDIT: Just found this:

"the remains were that of a male"

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/sto...rningside.html
    Sandy's sister is wondering too....she's commented under the news story at the cbc news link.

So how much longer will an ID take? Personal belongings found with body - should help right? I know, not always.

The police said "suspicious" death and also asked the person that found the body not to reveal any info about what he saw.

Makes me think the deceased did not die of natural causes.

Last edited by tarabull; 05-11-2010 at 07:19 AM.
    Don't believe EVERYTHING you think.

CANADA Canada - Paul Michael Foster, 28 years old, Hamilton, Ontario - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    Paul Michael Foster has been missing since Jan 10, 2010.
    If you have any information regarding his whereabouts please call Central division detectives at 905-546-3833.

Cops search for missing city man
    Left his pet dog behind

John Burman
    The Hamilton Spectator
    (Jan 22, 2010)

read more = http://www.thespec.com/article/709743
    Paul's home was approximately 1hr south west from this location.
    Last edited by KateB; 05-02-2015 at 11:02 PM. Reason: repair url tag.
    "The opinion prevailed among advanced minds that it was time that belief should be replaced increasingly by knowledge; belief that did not itself rest on knowledge was superstition, and as such had to be opposed." - Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast