UT UT - David Jaramillo, 21, & Lloyd Reese, 14, Salt Lake City, 3 June 1985

BeanE

Inactive
Reaction score
Website
casesignal.wordpress.com
Case of missing Salt Lake men reopened after 25 years

The Salt Lake Police Department's cold case and missing persons unit is taking a fresh look at the case of the two young men who disappeared on June 3, 1985.

On that day, 21-year-old David Jaramillo and 14-year-old Lloyd Reese left Reese's home, 173 E. 1700 South, with two other friends to go to East Canyon Reservoir. At some point during their outing, Jaramillo and Reese became separated from the other two. Because no one at that time owned a cell phone, the two other friends had to drive back down the canyon before calling police to report them missing.

Since then, investigators have found no trace of Jaramillo or Reese. The case is officially listed as a missing persons investigation. Detectives have no clues as to whether the duo were the victims of criminal activity or fell victim to an accident.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700030465/SL-police-reopen-25-year-old-case.html

I think the police are keeping this secret because they need to separate good (real) tips from cranks...i.e. facts only the perpetrator(s) would know. This must be a very important part of the story...how (or why?) they got separated from the other two (I assume 2?) friends. Sounds like a major piece in the puzzle. Were they truly "boating"/ who owned the boat? Supposedly there was a "Brown Datsun B-210". No way can those things pull a boat.
We all know that kooks read the papers and make a confession using facts that have been printed or broadcasted.

Having lived in SLC off and on (but not during this time frame) I became interested in this very baffling case. And yes, I think there's more background information than the public has been told.

I would assume they were fishing, swimming, or hiking instead of boating, perhaps mostly just hanging around. The reservoir is part of a state park, and the (current) web site lists picnic pavilions, beach access, swimming, and hiking as some of the amenities.

So, I don't think it would be unusual to get separated from the other friends. I do think it's unusual that a 14-yr-old went off for the day with a 21-yr-old man, and I'd be curious to know the ages of the other friends. I wouldn't say it's automatically creepy, but a bit curious for sure.

I share your curiosity on the age difference...From what I've read (and I don't know/never knew either of the 2 fellows nor their families) it sounds like Reese was a pretty intelligent kid, was mature beyond his years and had a lot of charisma. It sounds like people took to him easily and liked him. He must have been fun to be with. But still... for a friendship to come to be, there must be something each party gets from the relationship. Were they both partiers? It said that Reese like to play "pretend guitar" to his favorite rock songs. So I am guessing the two did not form a rock band. So what was the commonality? Perhaps that's key?

I would assume they were fishing, swimming, or hiking instead of boating, perhaps mostly just hanging around. The reservoir is part of a state park, and the (current) web site lists picnic pavilions, beach access, swimming, and hiking as some of the amenities.

So, I don't think it would be unusual to get separated from the other friends. I do think it's unusual that a 14-yr-old went off for the day with a 21-yr-old man, and I'd be curious to know the ages of the other friends. I wouldn't say it's automatically creepy, but a bit curious for sure.

I became familiar with this case just one day ago through the Charley project. I also think that it's very unusual that a 14-yr-old went for the day with a 21-yr-old man, what was also strange that the families met the first time only in 2010!

Considering that 2 good friends vanished I assume that both families know each other as well but they met together only 25 years after the disappearance, it makes me wonder how much the families really knew
about this friendship, maybe they didn't until the disappearance.

All the questions asked here in this thread are excellent questions.

On Charley project it is mentioned that the friends they were with that day aren't considered suspects in their cases.

Maybe David & Lloyd parted from their friends in order to meet someone for unknown reason and then they met a foul play?

From the article brought by BeanE I can understand from the families that the police know more than what they know.

As far as we know something made the police reopen the case in 2010 , There is possible information that we don't know about that only the police knows .

I have a feeling that the police believe that David and Lloyd met foul play, not by their friends but by someone they met as a planned meeting ,I think they parted from their friends in order to meet a specific person or persons ,the police is trying to find who are these people, then they will be able to find out who responsible to the disappearance of David and Lloyd and why ,this my feeling but of course I may totally wrong.

I pray for justice for David and Lloyd and for their families, it's about time after almost 34 years. I read about cases which solved even after 40 years so I am not losing hope, This case can be solved.

Last edited:
Odd the families didn't meet during all that time elapsed. I would have wanted to meet the other family! I wonder if the two weren't trying to score dope. The drug world has no friends and maybe a dealer was pissed at these guys for some reason and harmed them. Something tells me, I don't know why, Lloyd may have been the object of someone's wrath.

Going over some cases and this one reminded me of Kiely Rodni, the resevoir and missing car. They've searched this one a few times and an independent sonar team did in August 2021, but I still wonder.

This seems like it was probably an accident, although certainly no evidence of that has ever turned up. I wonder if they had the VIN number on the vehicle?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back