738 users online (101 members and 637 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WA - James Sanders, 43, killed in Craigslist robbery, Edgewood, 28 April 2010

Diamond Ring Ad on Craigslist Leads to Murder

(May 7) -- It seemed like a good idea -- make some extra cash by selling a diamond ring on Craigslist. But a Washington state man who opened his door to what he thought was a prospective buyer found a band of murderous thieves instead, police said.

Jim Sanders, 43, spoke on the phone to a man who responded to his website ad. He gave the man his address in Edgewood, a Seattle suburb, and set up a meeting time so the buyer could inspect the ring, police said. But when Sanders answered the door on April 28, three men and a woman stood on the doorstep. One of the strangers pulled a gun and the gang forced its way inside, police said.

Within moments, the intruders had tied up Sanders, his wife, Charlene, and the couple's two sons, investigators said. The family were beaten and pistol-whipped as they watched the thieves gather up their valuables, including the diamond ring, ABC News reported.

More at the link including pics of the perps and a video http://www.aolnews.com/crime/article...ing%2F19469483
    Last edited by JBean; 03-19-2011 at 11:38 AM. Reason: copyright

What a horrific story. Proof positive that it's always best to conduct these types of transactions in a public place.

Many prayers to this family. I can't imagine the pain they are going through.

Quote Originally Posted by Disguiseduser0308 View Post
    What a horrific story. Proof positive that it's always best to conduct these types of transactions in a public place.

Many prayers to this family. I can't imagine the pain they are going through.
    Right. If you have to sell something, don't give out a home address number, and arrange a meeting in a public place with a lot of witnesses.

It's so sad that in this day and age you cannot give out your home address -- and you never should. Conduct these transactions in a public or workplace. I hate CL - as we've all seen so many killings as a result. I'm so sorry for this family.

BAN CRAIGS LIST!!!!

Mel

Quote Originally Posted by mgardner View Post
    It's so sad that in this day and age you cannot give out your home address -- and you never should. Conduct these transactions in a public or workplace. I hate CL - as we've all seen so many killings as a result. I'm so sorry for this family.

BAN CRAIGS LIST!!!!

Mel
    CL is a service, just like any other service.
    Unfortunately some people use it for a criminal purpose, but I fail to see how it is CL fault. If this family put a notice they want to sell their ring into a newspaper, would you demand newspapers be banned?

Craigs List can't be blamed for this...everyone needs to be careful about giving their home address out to strangers. This is a sickening case, obviously predators look at CL but it could have been the daily newspapers just as easily. No matter what you are selling, you can't have strangers coming to your house knowing you own something of value, sad but true.
    Just my opinion, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by mgardner View Post

BAN CRAIGS LIST!!!!

Mel
    There are so many places that people advertise things for sale, and probably every one of them has led to an incident such as this. We'd probably have to ban newspapers, local sales papers, etc: IOW, it probably isn't a feasible plan to ban Craig's list, although I certainly can identify with your desire to do so!

I think it would be better if people were more cautious in what they place into an ad. I wouldn't give my home phone number, because anyone with access to a computer can do a reverse look-up and end up on your door step even if you haven't given your address out.I would list a cell number, because those are harder to trace.... I wouldn't list enough of my name to make it possible for others to look me up......K Geaux is enough of a public name for me.....and of course, we should never invite strangers to our homes by giving them our address. I suppose this man felt comfortable in doing so because he wasn't alone at home, and he wasn't expecting more than one or two people to show up.

I am sorry he lost his life, and my prayers go out to his family, but WHAT A HERO.
    Last edited by kgeaux; 05-09-2010 at 08:21 PM.

WA - James Sanders, 43, killed in Craigslist robbery, Edgewood, 28 April 2010

Dad shot dead after placing Craigslist ad
    Police say four people came to his home and killed him in front of his family
    updated 8:41 a.m. MT, Tues., May 11, 2010

It was just a simple sales transaction set up via Craigslist, the Internet classified ads site. The item being offered was valuable — a 1.07-carat diamond ring, with an asking price of $1,050 — but James Sanders, a trusting man, felt there was nothing to fear.

“He’s sold different things on Craigslist,” Charlene Sanders told TODAY’s Meredith Vieira Tuesday from Puyallup, Wash.

Tragically, Charlene Sanders is a widow today and her husband, James, is dead. He died defending his family from four people who came to the house in response to his ad. They didn’t come to buy the ring; they came to steal it, along with anything else of value the family had.

“Our whole life has been ripped apart,” Charlene said. “We’re just trying to put it back together as best we can. It’s hard.”

Transaction turns to terror
    Charlene was speaking on national television for the first time since the April 28 robbery and murder. At her side was Derek Sanders, her husband’s younger brother.

She described a terrifying scene that began with a young couple at the door and a friendly transaction, and ended in gunshots and death

Read more: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/370825...#ixzz0noX1ir25
    What lies behind you and what lies in front of you pales in comparison to what lies inside of you....
    Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

What lies behind you and what lies in front of you pales in comparison to what lies inside of you....
    Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

I have sold things on Craigslist and when possible I try to meet in a public place. I don't like the idea of people I don't know coming into my house and seeing what I have, even though it's not a lot. I had a ring to sell once and I met the people at the mall. The only time someone needs to come to my house is when I have sold puppies and even that makes me nervous. I hope people will be more cautious now and not invite strangers into their homes when it can be prevented.

I know they have already caught this guy as well but here is another article. This is just a horror story, how sad for this family:

Nationwide search under way for fourth suspect in Craigslist murder
    Posted on May 5, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Updated Thursday, May 6 at 7:30 AM

TACOMA, Wash. - Detectives from the Pierce County Sheriff's Department have identified the fourth suspect involved in the April 28 robbery-turned-homicide in Edgewood.

A nationwide arrest warrant has been issued for Clabon T. Berniard, 23, of the SeaTac area. He is identified as being black, 5-foot-11, 200 pounds with black hair and brown eyes.

"We guess he's in the wind, knowing that we're going to be looking for him and now we're going to need the public's help to get him caught," said Det. Ed Troyer with the Pierce County Sheriff's Dept.

The victim's brother made a public plea to turn the suspect in

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Susp...-92875209.html
    Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

Gunman in Craigslist murder sentenced to 109 years

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/436985_craigslist11.html

The gunman in a deadly home invasion robbery was sentenced to 109 years in prison for the April 28 shooting death of a man who offered a ring for sale on Craigslist.
    Kiyoshi Higashi received the sentence days after a Pierce County jury found him guilty of first-degree murder in the case.

Higashi was also found guilty of first-degree burglary and two counts each of second-degree assault and first-degree robbery.

Three others - Clabon Berniard, 23; Joshua Reese, 20; and Amadna Knight, 21 - have also been charged. All three pleaded not guilty, and are being held on $2 million bail each.

This guy really is a piece of work!

Kiyoshi Higashi, Accused "Craigslist Killer," Demands That Victim's Family "Turn the Other Cheek"

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/daily...sed_craigs.php

North Carolina's beautiful Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Kat View Post
    This guy really is a piece of work!

Kiyoshi Higashi, Accused "Craigslist Killer," Demands That Victim's Family "Turn the Other Cheek"

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/daily...sed_craigs.php
    Unbelievable!
    About the time we can make ends meet, somebody moves the ends. Herbert Hoover

"Not only was the victim's family hurt, my family was hurt that day. I was hurt . . . My dad cried about it, you know? For you all to hate me for that and look at me as a hateful and a monster, that's incorrect."
    Is this guy for REAL???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast