Change of Venue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macushla

Our Royal Himalayan Gopher Hounds
Reaction score
I thought JP seemed disinclined to consider Miami/Dade area. He kept asking about other jurisdictions. I have a feeling he does not want to go down to South Florida.

I thought I heard him say that the jury would be 'brought' in for the trial and go 'back' or home at night. that would rule out Miami/Dade completely, as the commute time would be way too long.

Did anyone else hear that? Or did you all think he meant something else?

I thought JP seemed disinclined to consider Miami/Dade area. He kept asking about other jurisdictions. I have a feeling he does not want to go down to South Florida.

I thought I heard him say that the jury would be 'brought' in for the trial and go 'back' or home at night. that would rule out Miami/Dade completely, as the commute time would be way too long.

Seems to me that Miami Dade would not fit the criteria, population-wise and demographic-wise.

It did seem like he said something about them going home at night, maybe he meant on the weekends? Will have to go back and listen.

I did hear him say the jurors would commute back to their original counties?? Sounds like he is considering Hillsborough/ Tampa area?

I don't understand why JB has his heart set on Miami/Dade. There are plenty of counties in the Southern part of Florida besides Miami/Dade where they could find a jury. Broward, Monroe, Collier, Lee, Palm Beach. I would probably take Lee County out of the mix simply because George's family lives there (Fort Myers, Bonita Springs).

The closest surrounding counties around Orange County appear to be Osceola, Volusia, Lake, Seminole, Brevard and Polk? So maybe Hillsborough isn't in the mix? Who knows? I feel bad for anyone who is going to have to be a juror on this trial.

i heard what you heard. perhaps brevard county or lake county. lake has lots of retired people as well as medical field people. perfect jurors. i doubt they would go to sarasota or too far. money is issue too and time. can you tell me how a juror can be on case for months with no income to pay bills. i know they may have spouses but still some may not . still a loss of paycheck. do they get just pennys perday?? also musikman have i ever met you in court hearings? not sure if your a guy or girl? i thought i met most . you can reply in pm is you wish - just curious as i am friendly and talk to everyone i think-lol

I thought the same. Am I correct that Miami is a 5-hr. drive from Orlando. IMO, JP will not pick the M/D area. I think he will pick an area much closer to Orlando.

I did not hear him say that. However, I watched the hearing on Tru so I may have missed that part when they switched to a commercial.:banghead:

I found it odd that the Judge stated that the Jurors would go back and forth during this trial. Closest jury pool could be:

All approximate times:

Hillsborough County - 1 1/2 hours away
Manatee County - 2 hours
St. Petersburg - 2 hours
Broward County (Ft. Lauderdale) - 3 1/2 hours
Lake County (Mt Dora) ~1 hour
Tallahassee 4 hours
Miami - 4 hours

One accident on the major highway and the bus could sit for hours. The jurors would have to be up very early to make a 2 hours trip and then sit 8 hours "ALERT and AWAKE" and then travel back. They will be worn out within the first week.

I'm in Brevard County and it takes me just a little over an hour to get to the courthouse in Orlando.
I must admit though, I'd be surprised if the jury was picked from my county, as we've been saturated with coverage of this case.

Seminole, Volusia, Brevard, Lake, Osceola - these are the closest counties but most of them look to Orlando for news, etc. I was wondering about the Tampa area - that would be Hillsborough. I live in Seminole and know that it will not be chosen, way too close to Orlando and we get all our news from Orlando stations.

I think the Judge will look west or north, not south for a new venue.

I am in Manatee County and we DO NOT get much coverage here at all. Maybe a snip of recent court hearings but we get no on going media coverage here.

I found it odd that the Judge stated that the Jurors would go back and forth during this trial. Closest jury pool could be:

All approximate times:

Hillsborough County - 1 1/2 hours away
Manatee County - 2 hours
St. Petersburg - 2 hours
Broward County (Ft. Lauderdale) - 3 1/2 hours
Lake County (Mt Dora) ~1 hour
Tallahassee 4 hours
Miami - 4 hours

One accident on the major highway and the bus could sit for hours. The jurors would have to be up very early to make a 2 hours trip and then sit 8 hours "ALERT and AWAKE" and then travel back. They will be worn out within the first week.

That's true. However, If he picks a city any closer,they might as well pick a Jury from Orlando.:waitasec:

Seminole, Volusia, Brevard, Lake, Osceola - these are the closest counties but most of them look to Orlando for news, etc. I was wondering about the Tampa area - that would be Hillsborough. I live in Seminole and know that it will not be chosen, way too close to Orlando and we get all our news from Orlando stations.

I think the Judge will look west or north, not south for a new venue.

-----------------------
I heard B.P. mention Pensacola at one point.I didnt hear it all, my hearing is a bit off.We had a bit of discussion on this early on.Many from Fla.thought JB.wouldnt like Pensacola area as they are a more (should I say) conservative people up there.When the Judge said it today I said YES!!!!!!:dance:

I think he's looking for a mostly Spanish jury. He didn't remember to mention Adam Walsh who was the main reason why we have the NCMEC.

I think he's looking for a mostly Spanish jury. He didn't remember to mention Adam Walsh who was the main reason why we have the NCMEC.

I think that is a big part of it to. The further North you go the less Hispanic the population gets.

JB knows MANY MANY people in the court system in South Florida.....just saying.

He has claimed on TV on more than one occasion, that he thought the reason that he was being treated poorly in the media was because of racial bias against Latinos, AL likes to argue race and gender in DP motions.

Once again Saran Wrap.

Respectfully snipped.

I think JB desperately wants a very very liberal Jury who are more forgiving of a young Mother who seeks to drink and party, living La Bella Vita as well as who connect with him.

While local coverage varies, given the high profile case and the national TV coverage on cable I don't think the source of the Jury pool is going to swing things too much either way -- if they hold true to the demographics and profile of Orlando.

Given that Huckaby just pled guilty to the murder of poor Sandra Cantu, a Mother horribly murdering a child (even though not her own) I think this sets a precedent and refreshes the pressure on Mothers who Murder. The slow plea.

I don't live in Florida and so I do not know the demographics or racial makeup by counties of Florida.

But why would a Hispanic population be sympathetic toward Casey since she's basically thrown a fake, imaginary nanny whom she named "Zenaida Fernandez Gonzalez" under the bus by saying (that said fake nanny) kidnapped Caylee?

i heard what you heard. perhaps brevard county or lake county. lake has lots of retired people as well as medical field people. perfect jurors. i doubt they would go to sarasota or too far. money is issue too and time. can you tell me how a juror can be on case for months with no income to pay bills. i know they may have spouses but still some may not . still a loss of paycheck. do they get just pennys perday?? also musikman have i ever met you in court hearings? not sure if your a guy or girl? i thought i met most . you can reply in pm is you wish - just curious as i am friendly and talk to everyone i think-lol

Some companies will continue to pay their salary but I'm not sure how many companies can actually afford to do that. Larger companies could but small local companies cannot. I was paid my salary plus what the court gave me. Just depends on who you work for. But there are a lot of retirees in Florida who have grandchildren.

I don't live in Florida and so I do not know the demographics or racial makeup by counties of Florida.

But why would a Hispanic population be sympathetic toward Casey since she's basically thrown a fake, imaginary nanny whom she named "Zenaida Fernandez Gonzalez" under the bus by saying (that said fake nanny) kidnapped Caylee?

I don't know. Possibly he can use that as an excuse if they find her guilty. I know if I were hispanic and living in South Florida now I would be very offended by what JB is implying, which is they are less likely to think anything about what has happened to Caylee. More desensitized. That was the impression I was getting. jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak