1578 users online (289 members and 1289 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Huckaby pleads guilty, avoids death penalty
    by Justin Lafferty
    May 10, 2010

This is the weekly newspaper that won awards for its reporting on this case. Jennifer Wadsworth's interview with Huckaby, when heard by the police is basically what led to her arrest.

In this article today, it talks about:

"San Joaquin County Superior Court Judge Linda Lofthus asked Huckaby if she’s had time to talk with her attorneys and if she really planned to plead guilty, giving up the right to a jury trial, to which she answered yes.

After Lofthus finished most of her questioning of Huckaby, Testa wanted the judge to make sure Huckaby was in the right state of mind to make the plea. He noted that her behavior in prison, such as trying to hurt herself at one point, was odd.

“She appears extremely coherent today, but I just worry down the road,” Testa said, worrying that Huckaby might change her plea.

Lofthus told Testa that “she appears fine to me,” but asked Huckaby anyway if she understood what was going on.

She asked if there has been a change in her medication recently, something Huckaby declined.

“No, I am currently stable on medication, thank you,” Huckaby said.

After the questioning, Lofthus said she accepted Huckaby’s plea. Her attorneys and Testa spoke with members of the Huckaby and Cantu families before coming up with the June 14 date for sentencing.

While Lofthus said she’d allow one camera at the sentencing, she said the gag order, preventing anyone related to the case from speaking to the media, is still in effect. Testa brought up the notion of lifting it and Behar and Huckaby’s attorney, Michael Burt, said they had no objection.

Lofthus said she worried that things were moving too quickly and wanted some time to think about the gag order."

Quote Originally Posted by KariKae View Post
    I have not followed this case very closely, but did they ever give a motive? Other than, she's just a sick individual.
    I've always wondered if there were other people involved. I'm happy that Sandra's family will not have to go through the additional heartache of a trial, but there's still a nagging question in my mind how Huckaby could have done such a thing all on her lonesome. The motive is still a bit of a mystery to me.

1 question to Huckaby...............WHY? did you murder her???
    Kyron, HALEIGH, ADJI & Gabriel NEEDS PRAYERS NOW TO FIND THEM!. Zahra & Jonathan in heaven
    Justice for Hailey!!!!
    No Justice for Caylee Marie..........

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    Apologies if this is the same article that others have posted, but this showed up on my Comcast homepage:

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news...l.In.Suitcase/

It's good that Sandra's family will be spared this, but IMO justice is not served. This b**ch deserves to die for what she did to that little girl.

~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rest in peace baby girl... it's over now.

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.

I'm very surprised and pleased by this turn of events.

Sandra's Mother and family are spared the trial. I can't imagine the pain that they go through every day because of what was done to Sandra prior to and including her murder. They will not have to sit and listen to all of that. Thank God.

LWOP. Fair enough, she brutalized and took Sandra's life.

My Prayers are with Sandra's family today. God bless them and keep them in his care.

Quote Originally Posted by KariKae View Post
    I have not followed this case very closely, but did they ever give a motive? Other than, she's just a sick individual.
    Pretty sure she's just a sick individual. JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeFromLB View Post
    I've always wondered if there were other people involved. I'm happy that Sandra's family will not have to go through the additional heartache of a trial, but there's still a nagging question in my mind how Huckaby could have done such a thing all on her lonesome. The motive is still a bit of a mystery to me.
    I've wondered the same thing JoefromLB! Seems like Melissa was the one who led that poor baby lamb to the slaughter where the wolves were waiting. How dare her plea and let them walk..IMHO!
    "I am confident that, in the end, common sense and justice will prevail. I'm an optimist, brought up on the belief that if you wait to the end of the story, you get to see the good people live happily ever after."

I am so angry that this monster did not get the death penalty,

words fail me. What she did to Sandra was so awful that it

still has not been made public. I shudder when I think of what

this sweet child went through. When Melissa dies, she won't

even be welcomed in hell.

Rest in Peace

Sweet Sandra Cantu

This is really better than a long, drawn-out trial for the family.

I think she acted alone and there was no one else involved. The police were stunned with shock she was the suspect - it's not like she was railroaded.

They keep calling her a "Sunday School teacher" on the news. From everything I've studied about this case, there were no students and there was no "school". No classes, nothing. The church was empty most of the time. There were hardly any parishioners. One article I read early on stated that no services had even been held in the church for almost two years. No parents of other "students" have come forward to talk about the "Sunday school".

If anyone has information to the contrary, please enlighten me.

Ive read several articles that say 25 years to life.
    That is not life!! Im beyond livid!! Heres 1 article with the 25 years to life.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=63259

With the way this system is ,I have no doudt this monster will most likely be out running the streets again before she kicks the bucket!!

I hope someone tortures her for the rest of her life !!

Sandra, youve been let down, your killer is still breathing, Im so sorry.!!

Question

Can someone tell me for sure it will be life without parole,Im not understanding why some reports are stating 25 years to life?
    Please help me understand,
    Which is it?

Wow. What a trip. This is a case beyond comprehension for me. A woman raping and killing a child. I thought I wanted some details from her that a trial might bring. Details that would help me understand why and how such a sick thing could happen. But, ultimately, this is so rare I can't think of another case where a woman rapes and kills a non-familial child, on her own. (And I believe 100% that this person did everything on her own, with no help whatsoever, no one else involved. She is a freak).
    So, since it is such a rare thing, maybe we don't need to know and can just be satisfied that she will be behind prison walls, hopefully for life. Surely this is better for the poor family of little Sandra. If I was a member of Sandra's family, I would not want such details out in the public, I think.
    Also, maybe it's better for some of us in the public as well. Like me. This case skeeved me out so badly I think I don't want to know anything more.
    Good riddance melissa huckaby.
    Rest in peace sweet little angel Sandra! God bless you and your family.
    For Elizabeth, a minor child, a victim. Thank God she is home!

*Gitana (means "Gypsy girl"). Pronounced "hee tah nah."

Quote Originally Posted by simlyme View Post
    Can someone tell me for sure it will be life without parole,Im not understanding why some reports are stating 25 years to life?
    Please help me understand,
    Which is it?
    There are different reports. Some say life without parole and some say 25 to life. She has not been sentenced yet and my feeling is that this is the range of what she can be sentenced to. She drugged, raped and killed a sweet baby and she tried to cover it up. I think that's grounds for LWOP.
    For Elizabeth, a minor child, a victim. Thank God she is home!

*Gitana (means "Gypsy girl"). Pronounced "hee tah nah."

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast