1195 users online (227 members and 968 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Jose "Quite Frankly" Baez

Is there a statement analysis person who reads here? If so, what in the world does the speech pattern of Jose Baez while arguing his motions indicate? At first I found his insertion of "quite frankly" here, there, and everywhere to be merely annoying.

But at this point, I am wondering - given the context in which it is being said time and time again - if it does not give us some clues into the thinking patterns of Mr. Baez?

I am not trying to be snarky here. I think this is could be significant.

I have asked myself how often and when do I use the phrase "quite frankly"?
    My answer is "not too often". And when I do use the phrase, I would say that it usually prefaces some "unpleasant truth". As in "Quite frankly, yes, those slacks DO make your butt look wide" or "Well, since you asked for an honest opinion, quite frankly, I liked the longer hair on you rather than this man-style, extremely short hair cut".

And then there was the famous Rhett Butler "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn............"

Any comments?

And if possible, quite frankly, I would love to hear from an experienced statement analyst.
    Last edited by AlwaysShocked; 05-10-2010 at 03:13 PM.

"Quite frankly", I'm not sure about this topic. But I'll give it a spin.

LOL - Funny - but I can see you are serious.

I always thought it was because Baez was stalling for time and organizing his thoughts because he knew what he was saying was probably not substantial.
    When there is Justice - there is Peace.

IMO, it is slightly better than um...

But, seriously, I see what you are getting at...I use it before a statement of hard to say truth as well...or when I am being snarky and quoting Rhett
    Sitting. on. hands.

Makes me think his favorite movie is Gone With the Wind.

It seems he is just not very eloquent or well spoken. "Quite frankly" seems to be used to sound more honest or make more of an impact on his speech. It could also be a leftover from Spanish. Francamente is used more often in the spanish language to add emphasis to statements. moo

I think it is just a term that he picked up somewhere. It means "honestly". Since he speaks Spanish, I am curious to know if there is a common Spanish phrase that he is interpreting into English to suffice.

BTW, no snarky comments or this thread will be abducted.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexington View Post
    Makes me think his favorite movie is Gone With the Wind.
    Gone With the Wind..... 200k +

I think that it is very similar to the use of "With utmost respect ....." which is usually a setup for a criticism.

It is a preface to try to emphasize and highlight what you are about to say should be taken very seriously and you are speaking openly and directly [bottom-line] but its use can have the opposite effect -- especially with overuse which renders it moot.

In France, 'the language of diplomacy', the phrase "Tu as raison mais" is typically used [You are right, but .....] where the speaker agrees at first, pauses and then goes on at length to completely disagree.
    Disclaimer: All posts are my own humble opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.

Justice for Caylee

Quote Originally Posted by manatee View Post
    It seems he is just not very eloquent or well spoken. "Quite frankly" seems to be used to sound more honest or make more of an impact on his speech. It could also be a leftover from Spanish. Francamente is used more often in the spanish language to add emphasis to statements. moo
    We posted at the same time! Thanks for the look into Spanish!

Quote Originally Posted by Kimster View Post
    I think it is just a term that he picked up somewhere. It means "honestly". Since he speaks Spanish, I am curious to know if there is a common Spanish phrase that he is interpreting into English to suffice.

LOL, Kimster you beat me to it. I think he just picked up the saying, maybe from Casey, who knows? I know that I picked up the word, absolutely, from Casey and had to break myself from using the irritating word in my posts. Now, I hope I don't "backslide" again.............dang.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimster View Post

yes. one can say "francamente" or "pare serles franco" meaning to be frank... not really honestly. Honestly is "honestamente." but it is probably part of his "spanglish" or Miami talk.
    (i am from Miami, and cuban...no, I'm not even remotely related to Baez. no worries)

Personally, I think he uses the phrase because he thinks it makes his argument sound more powerful and definitive and it's just become an idiosyncrasy. Unfortunately for him, it will/has become an annoyance and detracts from whatever point he's trying to make.

OT... while attending a trial a while back, it was the Judge's pet peeve when an attorney began with, "would you agree that..." or "isn't it true that...". It was so ingrained with one of the attorneys that he just couldn't help himself. Every time he did it, the Judge would glare at him or sternly correct him. Wasn't long before he was reduced to a bumbling idiot. Totally destroyed him. I wanted to feel sorry for him, but he was on the 'other' side. A tough lesson for him not to rely on a certain style.

Quote Originally Posted by manatee View Post
    This is a reasonable explanation, imo.

I think he has just gotten into the habit of using that phrase habitually.

ABC provided $200,000.00 to
    Casey Anthonys defense!
    The MURDERED should not be USED to pay for the MURDERERS DEFENSE!

American Tragedy: The defense of Casey Anthony.

Juror No. 11 somehow made the journey from Casey is the one on trial to George may be a murderer, based on how George acted on the stand? 3 years of evidence against Casey and he throws George under the bus. Makes sense?
    What evidence indicated that George might be a murderer? Anyone?
    Weren't they to ONLY consider EVIDENCE?
    This NOT GUILTY verdict throws Caylee right back into the swamp she decomposed in. Thanks to this "impartial" jury.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast