1233 users online (264 members and 969 guests)  

Websleuths News

Mental health exec defends sex crime risk

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/93210484.html

8 May 2010

Milwaukee County's top mental health administrator intentionally houses female patients with men known to be dangerous "because the presence of women reduces the likelihood of the men being violent," according to a county supervisor's letter obtained by the Journal Sentinel.

John Chianelli, administrator of the county's Behavioral Health Division, told county supervisors during a closed-door session last month that segregating men and women would result in more violence.

"It's a trade-off," he said. "Putting 24 aggressive male patients into a male-only unit would increase the level of violence in the unit."

Chianelli's remarks came during a County Board committee called into closed session on April 14 to find out why there are reports of an increasing number of sexual assaults at the county facility, including the rape of a 22-year-old pregnant woman last summer.

<snip>

The comments were sharply criticized as "deplorable" by patient advocates and county supervisors. They said they were offended at Chianelli's characterization that sexual assault is a lesser harm than other physical assaults.

<snip>

Her attacker, a man described by a medical supervisor as "a very devious sexual predator," had been charged with multiple assaults, including another sexual assault. Still, he was housed in the same unit as the woman, where bedroom and bathroom doors are unlocked.

Chianelli defended mixed-gender units as a way to reduce the likelihood of violence by male patients against other male patients. He also conceded that such units at the Mental Health Complex "cause more sexual problems," De Bruin's letter says. Chianelli reviewed medical literature and found, "Going to gender-based units trades violence for sexual assaults."

much, much more at link

much more at link
    "Don't forget the kangaroo!"

un-freaking believable. So in other words to protect men throw some women in the lion cage? Oh no! That 'exec' needs to be fired immediately and in an entire new career not making such decisions. I'd add more about what I think about the exec, but it might be borderline violations of TOS so I will refrain.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

So... The possibility of lowering the violence in the MEN was worth the multiple assaults on the WOMEN???

It sounds like there wasn't much "lowering of violence" to me... Perhaps it only counts if it happens to staff (or other male inmates)...

Grrr!

WTF! What a pig. So if we throw a few bones (er female patients) at em to rape, that'll make them easier for us to deal with/control?! Please tell me I am misunderstanding this article.
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

I would never even believe something like this could occur, if I hadn't read it here. What planet is this guy living on? How did no one stop this from happening? What in the world is going on there? I see lawsuits, lots and lots of lawsuits.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni979 View Post
    So... The possibility of lowering the violence in the MEN was worth the multiple assaults on the WOMEN???

It sounds like there wasn't much "lowering of violence" to me... Perhaps it only counts if it happens to staff (or other male inmates)...

Grrr!
    That is exactly how I understand this idiot's reasoning. The men won't ruin the doctor's day by hurting each other.....and rape and sexual assault aren't "violence", its just "expressing oneself sexually."

Chianelli reviewed medical literature and found, "Going to gender-based units trades violence for sexual assaults."

County supervisors called Chianelli into a meeting to discuss that case and the overall policy of sexual contact between patients.

According to De Bruin's letter and the remarks of other supervisors at the meeting, Chianelli told them that patients had a right to express themselves sexually.

Sounds like a freaking misogynist to me.
    Last edited by kgeaux; 05-11-2010 at 11:19 AM.

So what if male sex offenders are more violent toward other inmates when there are no women around to rape? Just house all of the SO's together and let 'em prey on each other!

This article needs to be forwarded to O'Riley.

whoah what? throwing a woman in with a sex pervert makes the men less violent?

ummmmmmmmm this guy is sick

In MOO I think psyche evaluations of the "professionals" who made these statements are in order.
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

Quote Originally Posted by tlcox View Post
    WTF! What a pig. So if we throw a few bones (er female patients) at em to rape, that'll make them easier for us to deal with/control?! Please tell me I am misunderstanding this article.
    You're not misunderstanding it.

Quote Originally Posted by TGIRecovered View Post
    This article needs to be forwarded to O'Riley.
    Please do!

So, we put men in prison for raping women and then we give them women in prison to rape. Is this still planet Earth or have we somehow wandered off into the Twilight Zone?

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda View Post
    So, we put men in prison for raping women and then we give them women in prison to rape. Is this still planet Earth or have we somehow wandered off into the Twilight Zone?

The Twilight Zone.....yes, that is what this article reminds me of....

Quote Originally Posted by kgeaux View Post
    The Twilight Zone.....yes, that is what this article reminds me of....
    Boggles the mind, simply boggles the mind.