Mental health exec defends sex crime risk

hoppyfrog

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/93210484.html

8 May 2010

Milwaukee County's top mental health administrator intentionally houses female patients with men known to be dangerous "because the presence of women reduces the likelihood of the men being violent," according to a county supervisor's letter obtained by the Journal Sentinel.

John Chianelli, administrator of the county's Behavioral Health Division, told county supervisors during a closed-door session last month that segregating men and women would result in more violence.

"It's a trade-off," he said. "Putting 24 aggressive male patients into a male-only unit would increase the level of violence in the unit."

Chianelli's remarks came during a County Board committee called into closed session on April 14 to find out why there are reports of an increasing number of sexual assaults at the county facility, including the rape of a 22-year-old pregnant woman last summer.

<snip>

The comments were sharply criticized as "deplorable" by patient advocates and county supervisors. They said they were offended at Chianelli's characterization that sexual assault is a lesser harm than other physical assaults.

<snip>

Her attacker, a man described by a medical supervisor as "a very devious sexual predator," had been charged with multiple assaults, including another sexual assault. Still, he was housed in the same unit as the woman, where bedroom and bathroom doors are unlocked.

Chianelli defended mixed-gender units as a way to reduce the likelihood of violence by male patients against other male patients. He also conceded that such units at the Mental Health Complex "cause more sexual problems," De Bruin's letter says. Chianelli reviewed medical literature and found, "Going to gender-based units trades violence for sexual assaults."

much, much more at link

:eek::eek::eek:

much more at link

un-freaking believable. So in other words to protect men throw some women in the lion cage? Oh no! That 'exec' needs to be fired immediately and in an entire new career not making such decisions. I'd add more about what I think about the exec, but it might be borderline violations of TOS so I will refrain.

So... The possibility of lowering the violence in the MEN was worth the multiple assaults on the WOMEN???

It sounds like there wasn't much "lowering of violence" to me... Perhaps it only counts if it happens to staff (or other male inmates)...

Grrr!

WTF! What a pig. So if we throw a few bones (er female patients) at em to rape, that'll make them easier for us to deal with/control?! Please tell me I am misunderstanding this article.

I would never even believe something like this could occur, if I hadn't read it here. What planet is this guy living on? How did no one stop this from happening? What in the world is going on there? I see lawsuits, lots and lots of lawsuits.

So... The possibility of lowering the violence in the MEN was worth the multiple assaults on the WOMEN???

It sounds like there wasn't much "lowering of violence" to me... Perhaps it only counts if it happens to staff (or other male inmates)...

Grrr!

That is exactly how I understand this idiot's reasoning. The men won't ruin the doctor's day by hurting each other.....and rape and sexual assault aren't "violence", its just "expressing oneself sexually."

Chianelli reviewed medical literature and found, "Going to gender-based units trades violence for sexual assaults."

County supervisors called Chianelli into a meeting to discuss that case and the overall policy of sexual contact between patients.

According to De Bruin's letter and the remarks of other supervisors at the meeting, Chianelli told them that patients had a right to express themselves sexually.

Sounds like a freaking misogynist to me.

So what if male sex offenders are more violent toward other inmates when there are no women around to rape? Just house all of the SO's together and let 'em prey on each other!

This article needs to be forwarded to O'Riley.

whoah what? throwing a woman in with a sex pervert makes the men less violent?

ummmmmmmmm this guy is sick

In MOO I think psyche evaluations of the "professionals" who made these statements are in order.

WTF! What a pig. So if we throw a few bones (er female patients) at em to rape, that'll make them easier for us to deal with/control?! Please tell me I am misunderstanding this article.

You're not misunderstanding it. :furious::furious::furious:

So, we put men in prison for raping women and then we give them women in prison to rape. Is this still planet Earth or have we somehow wandered off into the Twilight Zone?

So, we put men in prison for raping women and then we give them women in prison to rape. Is this still planet Earth or have we somehow wandered off into the Twilight Zone?

The Twilight Zone.....yes, that is what this article reminds me of....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back