NC - Gun goes off inside a 3rd graders desk 5/11/10

KaylynnCouture

Reaction score
It is unclear how the gun went off, but luckily, the bullet missed all 20 students in the classroom and only hit a wall.

Parents rushed to the school not knowing the extent of the situation after they were told, “A serious incident occurred in a University Meadows classroom this afternoon.”

The gun was a .22-caliber handgun "small enough to fit in the palm of your hand," said Sgt. David Schwob.

Police are investigating the boy's father who came to the school in the afternoon. Schwob said investigators were interviewing the boy, his parents and other students in the class.

Snipped from http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/12/gun-goes-inside-desk-grader/?test=latestnews

Third Grader Appears In Court

third-grader charged with bringing a gun on school grounds appeared in a juvenile courtroom Wednesday.

The third-grader spent the night in a juvenile detention facility. After the court hearing Wednesday, he was released to his family.

Meanwhile, students at University Meadows said Wednesday was not an ordinary day.

"Well today we had a lot of police officers around," said student Dakota Boone.

Extra security patrolled the school and counselors were available to talk to students about Tuesday's shooting. The gun fired inside a desk and the bullet hit a wall.

Sources told NewsChannel 36 they are convinced that the child got the gun at home, and while it was not properly secured, the 8-year-old had to make an effort to get it.

Several people live in the home. Investigators are running serial numbers on the weapon to try and determine ownership.

Snipped from http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/where-did-3rd-grader-get-the-gun-93624619.html

This happened not far from me :( nice to see mom and dad get another go. Hey maybe next time it'll just be a knife they didn't happen to notice in his backpack or on his persons in 3rd grade. Seriously, it's crazy.

I wonder this kid thought he was going to do with this gun. I still believed in Santa Claus when I was in the 3rd grade.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phernandez22
Back