NJ NJ - Willingboro, Wht/HispFem 19-24, UP1514, curly wig, crucifix, ring, anklet, Feb'82

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 266UFNJ
http://doenetwork.org/cases/266ufnj.html

266UFNJ.jpg
266UFNJ1.jpg

Reconstruction of Victim by Frank Bender

Unidentified White / Hispanic Female

* Discovered on February 2, 1982, in a wooded area of Washington Township, Burlington County, New Jersey
* Time of death was estimated to be at six months to one year prior to discovery.
* State of Remains: Skeletal
* She was a victim of homicide

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 19-24
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'2 - 5'4"
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Unknown
* Dentals: Available
* Clothing: She wore a light blue/silver vest, blue jeans and white sandals with three inch heels. She was also wearing a curly, black wig.
She wore two 18 inch silver chains, one with a crucifix; and a 6 inch gold chain. There was a copper-colored metal ring with a small square red stone on one finger.

Case History
On February 2, 1982 a hunter prowling the Pine Barrens found the skeletal remains of the victim in the woods off Route 542 in southern Burlington County.

I've been going back and forth about bringing this one up as a possible, as her name has been bandied about as a possible on a few UID cases. I'm not totally convinced that I'm on to something, but I decided to put it up for discussion nevertheless.

Could this be Cynthia Jane Anderson?
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/a/anderson_cynthia.html

anderson_cynthia4.jpg
266UFNJ.jpg

Her vital stats are all in line. The timeline is right. Her overall appearance is consistent. The 550-mile separation from Toledo to Washington Township is problematic.

There is no indication that she wore wigs, but the upper-right hand photo in the set above appears like it might be a wig. You can't see her roots in that photo. The only photo where you can see her roots is the B&W photo in the above set (not the age progressions).

She was known to be a very devout Christian, so the crucifix is consistent.

She was also wearing open-toed white sandals when she disappeared. The victim was also wearing open-toed beige sandals, although they had three-inch heels. No indication of the heel type on CJA's sandals.

There is a video on YouTube showing an old episode of Unsolved Mysteries that profiles Cindy's case. There was some additional information on her case that I had not seen before. Of interest was two separate telephone calls to the Toledo PD about a month after her disappearance from a woman who said that Cindy was being held prisoner in a basement. The woman hung-up abruptly and never called back after her second call.

If she was held prisoner for a month, it would not be inconsistent for a UID to be found in different clothing than what she was wearing on the day she disappeared.

There is also some interesting discussion of Cindy's case on this Sitcoms Online message board.

Any Thoughts On Cindy Anderson? - Sitcoms Online Message Boards

:bump:

I ran another check on this Jane Doe, and Cynthia Anderson is the only MP who seems even remotely plausible.

I submitted Cynthia's name to the NJ state police several years ago, and got a big-fat yawn from them.

I should call Pamela Reed to see if she can rule Cynthia out. There is too much in common on these two cases to just presume that she's not a match.

What is the description of her real hair?

I was hoping maybe there was more info on it somewhere else. There isn't a lot of women who wear wigs so it's curious.

I had mentioned the necklace on the unsolved mysteries tv show message board linked above (sitcomsonline) and wondered about your opinions.

IMO, at the time Cindy went missing, a fundamentalist christian would not likely wear a crucifix, but would wear a plain cross necklace. Back then, IIRC, catholics would be more likely to wear crucifix necklaces.

I was about 12 years old at the time, so I'm going on ancient memory here. I could be described as a fundamentalist christian, and I, and the people in my circle of religious friends, only wore plain cross jewelry on occasion, but never a crucifix.

Or, was the woman wearing a cross necklace and it was just described as a crucifix in her doenetwork page?

Yep, there's a difference. That's one reason I was wondering if it was described incorrectly on her MP pages.

I looked at her namus page and enlarged the photo. I'm assuming the reconstruction is wearing the actual necklaces found with the body. It does look like a crucifix, but I'm not 100% positive. It could just be a shadow plus the enlargement distorts the pic.

Yep, there's a difference. That's one reason I was wondering if it was described incorrectly on her MP pages.

I looked at her namus page and enlarged the photo. I'm assuming the reconstruction is wearing the actual necklaces found with the body. It does look like a crucifix, but I'm not 100% positive. It could just be a shadow plus the enlargement distorts the pic.

Could you explain the difference, please, for those of us who aren't up to date on the nuances of religious jewelry?

Could you explain the difference, please, for those of us who aren't up to date on the nuances of religious jewelry?

Yep :)

Very simply stated, a crucifix is a cross with a figure of Jesus on it.

Back in the 70s and 80s, I only knew of fundamentalist christians, like Cindy Anderson, wearing plain crosses. Based on that personal observation, I assumed that a catholic would be more likely to wear a crucifix, so this UID lady was probably not Cindy.

Just now, I did a little digging around online and found some more deep religious aspects to different crucifixes and info on the religious meanings behind those differences.

If this lady's crucifix necklace was very detailed, and actually had meaning to her, they could maybe even pin down what her exact faith was. OTOH, it could just be a decorative piece of jewelry.

Thank you.

I have a couple of each style. The crucifix-style ones are old family ones. I'm Lutheran, was a teenager in the sixties. I guess now that I remember back, the ones you're calling "crucifix" were considered a bit Catholic, but not to the point where anybody thought I shouldn't wear them.

But you're right that the more conservative denominations wouldn't.

I would hazard a guess at this woman being Puerto Rican or from a South American country.

If she was a working girl she might have had a large selection of wigs (helps with business as the lady can appear to be different people- most women have experienced not being recognized after changing a hair color & hair style.) Wigs also eliminate tedious hairstyling.

Catholics do favor ornate crucifixes (source- I was raised as one.)

Thank you.

I have a couple of each style. The crucifix-style ones are old family ones. I'm Lutheran, was a teenager in the sixties. I guess now that I remember back, the ones you're calling "crucifix" were considered a bit Catholic, but not to the point where anybody thought I shouldn't wear them.

But you're right that the more conservative denominations wouldn't.

Christ still pictured on the cross is a sign of reverence for most Catholic People of the crucifixion. Many Protestant peoples do not accept the image of Christ on the cross as they believe his resurrection should be symbolized by his not being pictured on the cross - and that his resurrection was the marked difference of what proves he was the son of God.

IMO this UID was likely catholic and Hispanic, though I really like Carl's match!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crucifixes are Catholic (also Orthodox), the plain cross, usually Protestant. I was raised a Catholic and used to wear a gold crucifix many many years ago.

I am guessing this young lady was probably Catholic, maybe Hispanic. Speaking of Burlington County in NJ I recently finished reading "Forgotten Towns of Southern New Jersey" by Henry Charlton Beck. Pretty fascinating - would love to go hiking through the Pine Barrens someday.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back