VA - Elizabeth Newby, 83, dies in altercation at senior citizens' luau, 12 Aug 2009

lizzybeth

Reaction score
"A woman was charged with involuntary manslaughter for allegedly pushing an 83-year-old woman down, resulting in her death, Suffolk police said Tuesday. Velma D. Brown, 58, was in line for entry to a Senior Luau at the National Guard Armory on Aug. 12, 2009, when she suspected that Elizabeth Newby, 83, and an 89-year-old woman were trying to cut her in line, police said."

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/woman-charged-in-pushing-death-at-luau

I'm curious as to what others think about this; whether she should be charged with manslaughter or not. What she did was terrible, and she should have known better at her age, but do you think the charges are appropriate?

I have to say that after seeing a video of her last night (still looking online for it) that she didn't seem to show much remorse. She said she's on medication for her anger issues. I wonder is she started taking those before or after her pushing the other lady. If it was before, then obviously they weren't working.

Okay, found the video:

http://www.wvec.com/news/Manslaughter-suspect-sorry-for-fatal-shove-93618194.html

That is one seriously mean looking woman. Undoubtedly, the manslaughter charge will get pled down to nothing and she'll get probation.

"A woman was charged with involuntary manslaughter for allegedly pushing an 83-year-old woman down, resulting in her death, Suffolk police said Tuesday. Velma D. Brown, 58, was in line for entry to a Senior Luau at the National Guard Armory on Aug. 12, 2009, when she suspected that Elizabeth Newby, 83, and an 89-year-old woman were trying to cut her in line, police said."

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/woman-charged-in-pushing-death-at-luau

I'm curious as to what others think about this; whether she should be charged with manslaughter or not. What she did was terrible, and she should have known better at her age, but do you think the charges are appropriate?

I have to say that after seeing a video of her last night (still looking online for it) that she didn't seem to show much remorse. She said she's on medication for her anger issues. I wonder is she started taking those before or after her pushing the other lady. If it was before, then obviously they weren't working.

Okay, found the video:

http://www.wvec.com/news/Manslaughter-suspect-sorry-for-fatal-shove-93618194.html

It seemed to me that she said she was taken the medication during the time she pushed the other lady. Does not seem to be helping her any. She seems like a pretty mean old girl. The lady got in front of her and she wasn't going to take it. No talking about it or asking her to move, she just shoved her out of the way. I do think there should be consequences for our actions and what she did was wrong but 10 years in jail might be overkill.

If she pushed my grandmom even if she didn't die I'd want her locked up for ten years and more.

Who is next? The little kid that runs on her lawn?

The mailman cause he's late with her mail?

Plus what was her rush? :waitasec: It's a Senior Luau for cripes sake. They better change her meds.

If she pushed my grandmom even if she didn't die I'd want her locked up for ten years and more.

Who is next? The little kid that runs on her lawn?

The mailman cause he's late with her mail?

Plus what was her rush? :waitasec: It's a Senior Luau for cripes sake. They better change her meds.

I agree. Even in the interview video she seemed to still be angry about the other woman cutting her in line. Like it was okay to push an 83 year old woman cause she didn't know she was gonna die.

I hope this woman doesn't have kids or grandkids. If she does, I fear for them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back