Alec Baldwins Mother Refuses To Move To California Because They Don't have Wegmans

What do you think of Wegmans

• I've never heard of it before and it's just a grocery store, big deal.

Votes: 31 46.3%
  • I've never heard of it and it sounds interesting.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I have one in my area and I never shop anywhere else unless I have to.

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • I have one in my area and I don't think it's any better than the local competition.

Votes: 7 10.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
Please don't turn this into an Alec Baldwin, David Letterman or Cher bashing thread. It's about Wegmans, Thanks.

Link

If you don't know what Wegmans is it's the greatest supermarket chain in the world, yes the world. Baldwin's description is a little misleading. He makes it sound like a Costco or BJ's Wholesale kinda place. It's a supermarket just so far above the rest it's pathetic.

I've always felt kinda geeky when trying to explain Wegmans to people I've met down at my sisters when the subject comes up. I mean who really gets that excited about a grocery store. I'm glad to see that there are more people that are like me when it comes to Wegmans.

My sisters best friend moved from NJ about 6 years ago and Wegmans came up in conversation and very excitedly she says; "Oh I can't wait til they put a Wegmans here! (Hanover, PA) They had one in NJ and I really miss it."

What is it about Wegmans that inspires such emotion other than they're a great grocery store? I used to think it's because they started in Rochester and I love this city but when people from NJ are gaga over them there's more to it.

This is from a message board poster on the Albany vs Rochester (Buffalo, Syracuse, Ontario: buy, organic, living in) The information about Cher is accurate. The post is from 2007.

Wow what did you get dumped by a Wegmans checkout girl? Wegmans is the most amazing grocery store in the world and blows away anything else out there...here's a testimonial: stars come into Rochester and visit the Monroe Ave store and rant how they want one in Beverly Hills......Cher was here two summers ago and couldn't believe the selection of produce they had. That's what Weggies does best: brings the entire world to our doorstep. No better than Price Chopper or Stop and Shop???? It's them and every other grocery store in existence combined......

I'd be interested in what other people outside of NYS, who have Wegmans in their area, think of this place. Does it inspire the same sense of amazement in your area too? :waitasec: If so why do you think that is? It seems it's becoming a cultural icon.

The people from Wegmans were caught totally off guard by Baldwin's story on Letterman last night.

They are also one of the best places to work according to Fortune Magazine;

Wegmans Makes Best Place to Work List
January 21, 2010|Spencer Soper | Of The Morning Call

Wegmans Food Markets, which operates three stores in the Lehigh Valley, was ranked No. 3 on Fortune magazine's annual "100 Best Companies to Work For" list, which was released Thursday.

The Rochester, N.Y. company is hiring at new stores opening in Malvern, Chester County and Woodmore, Md., which together will employ about 1,100 people. Companies on the Fortune list were rated based on whether they were hiring and the ways in which they helped employees weather the recession.

Fortune said Wegmans made the list because it has never had a layoff in its 94-year history, and 11 percent of its workforce has been with the company for more than 15 years.

Wegmans is the Lehigh Valley's 10th-biggest employer, with 1,725 workers in Lehigh and Northampton counties. It has appeared on the Fortune list every year since it was first published in 1998, and it was ranked No. 1 in 2005. The company has 75 supermarkets in New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Virginia and Maryland.

---Reporting by Spencer Soper, The Morning Call

I didn't know this;

Linky

ROCHESTER, N.Y. (AP) - The Rochester-based Wegmans grocery chain was chosen as Number One in a Consumer Reports survey of the nation's grocery shoppers.

It's the same ranking Wegmans received the last time the magazine released a survey of shoppers in 2006.

Consumer Reports announced Monday that the family-owned regional market is the "most satisfying chain" of the 59 national and regional supermarkets, supercenters and warehouse clubs included in the survey.

Wegmans fared particularly well for its customer service, its produce and its meats.

No other grocery chain in upstate New York ranks in the Top 10 on the list. Discounter Aldi is at No. 14 and Price Chopper is No. 27. Tops is No. 51 of 59.

Wegmans is No. 1, followed by Trader Joe's.
Copyright 2009 Newport Television LLC All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

O-M-G! I LOVE WEGGIES! I don't shop anywhere else! There's just no describing it to anyone not from the area. It truly is one of those stores that you have to see to believe. Their produce looks like what you see only in gourmet magazines, their meat, simply the best, and the olive bar and bulk candy section! <swoon> lol. I lived in NYC for over a year and SC for another, and I couldn't find anything comparable to Wegmans! And as I type this, my mouth is watering while I have one of their delicious subs sitting at the table waiting! It just doesn't get any better!

O-M-G! I LOVE WEGGIES! I don't shop anywhere else! There's just no describing it to anyone not from the area. It truly is one of those stores that you have to see to believe. Their produce looks like what you see only in gourmet magazines, their meat, simply the best, and the olive bar and bulk candy section! <swoon> lol. I lived in NYC for over a year and SC for another, and I couldn't find anything comparable to Wegmans! And as I type this, my mouth is watering while I have one of their delicious subs sitting at the table waiting! It just doesn't get any better!

Somebody already voted that they've never heard of it and it's just a grocery store. What's funny is that when one comes into their area their vote will change.

My mother who does not like change got a Wegmans near her a couple of years ago. She had heard my brother and I raving about it and now she is a huge fan.

I'm just trying to understand why that store inspires such feelings of loyalty. :waitasec:

Definitely never heard of it, but my interest is peaked...

Don't laugh, but... when I moved to MD I mapped out the nearest Walmart (unfortunately, it is a horrible Walmart, but they are upgrading it to a Super Walmart, now). My daughter jokes that I will never live in New York City because they don't have a WalMart. LoL So, I kind of understand Alec's mom and her love for a store...

Definitely never heard of it, but my interest is peaked...

Don't laugh, but... when I moved to MD I mapped out the nearest Walmart (unfortunately, it is a horrible Walmart, but they are upgrading it to a Super Walmart, now). My daughter jokes that I will never live in New York City because they don't have a WalMart. LoL So, I kind of understand Alec's mom and her love for a store...

I believe they are slowly expanding into Maryland now.

So far they only have a store in Hunt Valley. I think the hardest part of opening a store in a new state is opening the first one. They will probably be more abundant in MD in the next few years.

BTW, Their website has useful tips and recipes.

hmm, yeah, I think I could be jealous if this picture is any indication.
http://www.weddingmapper.com/photos/0/77/62601_l.jpg

I think that was taken in the Pittsford store. They have a restaurant in that store called Tastings which is very highly regarded.

Link

REVIEW: Wegmans' Tastings a model for more
September 7, 5:03 PMUpstate NY Restaurant ExaminerBill Dowd

Picture_10.png

PITTSFORD, NY -- Anyone who has ventured inside a Wegmans supermarket knows the word "super" is appropriate.

I've never found another chain market I actually make a point of visiting when I'm in a town that is home to one. Wegmans, and particularly its "super stores," is one of those rare ones. Thoroughly stocked with every imaginable product, staffed by knowledgeable people, a department store-within-a-supermarket.

However, the Rochester-based chain that by the end of this year will have 75 stores in five states isn't limited to markets. It runs a pretty snazzy restaurant as well. Tastings, located in this Rochester suburb, was its first and current market plans call for more.

Tastings, which is scheduled to move to a new location across Monroe Avenue, has been a success that encourages expansion of that niche.

In a recent Q&A with the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle newspaper, company chairman Danny Wegman was asked where the new restaurants will be.

"It depends," Wegman said. "We're building a store outside of Philadelphia that will have a restaurant concept within our Market Café. We're taking the food bar that we have in Pittsford and putting it in there with an opportunity to have wine or beer as well, and we'll see how that goes."

The last time I visited Tastings was a thorough pleasure. Sitting with a group at a high-top table, we had a fine view of the dining room, packed with couples and groups of all ages. Soft lighting sets a relaxed mood as it illuminates the upscale ambience, making one quickly forget this is a strip mall restaurant attached to a supermarket.

The menu prepared under Executive Chef Chris Brandt has several nods to regionally produced foods, such as an appetizer of smoked and cured meats from Hartmann's of Rochester, augmented by an array of sushi prepared under chef Satoshi Yamaguchi.

Our group selected a range of starters to share: a seared tuna with shaved asparagus, bamboo shoots, sushi rice and greens with a ponzu butter sauce; a sashimi appetizer with daikon, cucumber and carrot; a pea and mint soup with crispy pancetta, crême fraiche and a tiny crostini with lemon olive oil, and the aforementioned smoked and cured meats. A nice array of textures and flavors for a shared course, giving everyone an opportunity to tease their palates into the proper state for the entrees.

Here we ran the gamut: a meat-and-potatoes offering that was centered on a seared Black Angus rib eye seasoned with mushroom powder and accompanied by golden fingerling potatoes, with a lemon crème fraîche and sautée of mushrooms; succulent grilled quail accompanied by a wild rice/corn cake, a clever, bold sautée of chestnuts and brussels sprouts with espresso barbecue sauce; a 10-piece Tekka Don high-grade tuna sashimi platter with seasoned rice, and a pan-seared grouper with an unusual sweet pea/Champagne risotto, roasted oyster mushroom jus and a tomato salad. Not a misfire in the bunch.

Our dessert selections were less eclectic. Two of us ordered the vanilla crême brulee with biscotti, two of us a lemon-almond Financiere -- a moist brown butter cake with rhubarb compote, Chantilly cream and buttermilk ice cream.

Hardly a lineup from a supermarket cafeteria. If the future Wegmans restaurants meet the consistent standards of Tastings, customers in other communities are in for a real treat.

It's not a cheap restaurant. It's prices are kinda high end but it's really well respected in the restaurant community.

I've never heard of Wegman's, but I feel that way about my Rouses! haha. It's a Louisiana/Mississippi thing, though. They'll even boil fresh crawfish in the parking lot on the weekends, have the best cuts of meat, great selection of seafood/cajun specialty food in stock, from frogs legs to shrimp, muffelatas, boudin, blue crab[FONT=book antiqua,palatino][FONT=times new roman,times][/FONT][/FONT] . Not the best selection of other groceries, I guess, but it's got everything a Mississippi girl needs;) I'm addicted to Rouses.

I would love to try a Wegman's, though...Hell, I always love new stores. In fact, I love food in general:)

I'll have to look into it. Doubt we'll get one, though. They wouldn't even put a Fresh Market in our surrounding area because they said it wasn't "their market." Well la-di-da, your majesty. :rolleyes:

I've never heard of Wegman's, but I feel that way about my Rouses! haha. It's a Louisiana/Mississippi thing, though. They'll even boil fresh crawfish in the parking lot on the weekends, have the best cuts of meat, great selection of seafood/cajun specialty food in stock, from frogs legs to shrimp, muffelatas, boudin, blue crab[FONT=book antiqua,palatino][FONT=times new roman,times][/FONT][/FONT] . Not the best selection of other groceries, I guess, but it's got everything a Mississippi girl needs;) I'm addicted to Rouses.

I would love to try a Wegman's, though...Hell, I always love new stores. In fact, I love food in general:)

I'll have to look into it. Doubt we'll get one, though. They wouldn't even put a Fresh Market in our surrounding area because they said it wasn't "their market." Well la-di-da, your majesty. :rolleyes:

Wegmans isn't hoity toity. It's actually more inexpensive than the other chain (Tops) here. There is a major misconception that Tops is cheaper but having done price comparisons I know it's not true.

They have stores in a lot of different areas.

Wegmans isn't hoity toity. It's actually more inexpensive than the other chain (Tops) here. There is a major misconception that Tops is cheaper but having done price comparisons I know it's not true.

They have stores in a lot of different areas.

Good, send me a Wegman's! We have nothing here..not even a Publix. Just Rouses, Super Walmart, Winn Dixie.

Yawn:(

I believe they are slowly expanding into Maryland now.

So far they only have a store in Hunt Valley. I think the hardest part of opening a store in a new state is opening the first one. They will probably be more abundant in MD in the next few years.

BTW, Their website has useful tips and recipes.

Thank you!!! I am rather curious... next time we head to that area, I will try to check it out. And trust me, I will! LoL A friend once told me about the Super Walmart in Charlestown, WV that she deemed as awesome, and I kid you not, I made my J stop there on our way to a photography shoot in Virginia, so I could check it out. She was right... it was awesome... so awesome that I went on a shopping spree. LoL (Yes, yes I am very strange. LoL)

Thank you!!! I am rather curious... next time we head to that area, I will try to check it out. And trust me, I will! LoL A friend once told me about the Super Walmart in Charlestown, WV that she deemed as awesome, and I kid you not, I made my J stop there on our way to a photography shoot in Virginia, so I could check it out. She was right... it was awesome... so awesome that I went on a shopping spree. LoL (Yes, yes I am very strange. LoL)

You could actually go on a spree at Wegmans! (Just take a look at my grocery bills ;) ) They're always cooking something, they have a wonderful little sub shop, a buffet with Asian food, a pizza shop with a chicken wing bar, an olive bar with probably 50 kinds of stuffed olives and italian salads... (If I must be honest the bulk candy section is probably one of the best features of the store :dance:... ) The list goes on and on. They also usually have a section dedicated to international types of foods, and the largest organic food and product sections available around here.. (Holy Moly.. I sound like a Wegman's infomercial!)

ETA: and Steely Dan, you asked what inspires such loyalty to Wegman's... it's the quality of the food, the atmosphere, the quality and the friendliness of the emplyees, and the general feeling you get every time you walk in the door...

You could actually go on a spree at Wegmans! (Just take a look at my grocery bills ;) ) They're always cooking something, they have a wonderful little sub shop, a buffet with Asian food, a pizza shop with a chicken wing bar, an olive bar with probably 50 kinds of stuffed olives and italian salads... (If I must be honest the bulk candy section is probably one of the best features of the store :dance:... ) The list goes on and on. They also usually have a section dedicated to international types of foods, and the largest organic food and product sections available around here.. (Holy Moly.. I sound like a Wegman's infomercial!)

Many moons ago when I was in college a guy wrote an article for the college paper saying Wegmans was his favorite place to eat because they gave out a lot of free samples. :crazy:

Good, send me a Wegman's! We have nothing here..not even a Publix. Just Rouses, Super Walmart, Winn Dixie.

Yawn:(

Know what you mean, babycat. We don't even have a Winn Dixie any more! We do have one Kroger that is overblown in what seems to be trying to be like Wegmans. Did that make sense? Oh well, too early....

ETA: and Steely Dan, you asked what inspires such loyalty to Wegman's... it's the quality of the food, the atmosphere, the quality and the friendliness of the emplyees, and the general feeling you get every time you walk in the door...

Do they carry a large variety of vegetarian/vegan products? My daughter is a vegetarian and she gets disappointed at how our local stores (Shoppers Food and Weis) have such little sections devoted to vegetarian/vegan products.

Do they carry a large variety of vegetarian/vegan products? My daughter is a vegetarian and she gets disappointed at how our local stores (Shoppers Food and Weis) have such little sections devoted to vegetarian/vegan products.

I'm not sure. I'm not a vegan so I've never looked around for the stuff. Their produce selection is amazing.

They do. They also carry many gluten-free products.

In our area, they are one of the most expensive places to shop, so I do not patronize them. I prefer Giant Eagle.

The store that I frequent, does. It's in with the Organic section, they also carry a few vegan health products.

I've never heard of it. Guess it is an East Coast wonderment! BUT, I'd love to go! Out here I go to Trader Joe's, Fresh and Easy or Henry's Market. Then there's the cheap old WINCO when funds are low! When I lived in Cincinnat there was a store right near us in Fairfield called Jungle Jims International Market. I could spend hours in that store. They had the best Deli, Produce, Meat and every aisle was a different country. You could get items from Mexico to the Phillipines!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back