738 users online (94 members and 644 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CT - Old Saybrook, Wht/HispMale 272UMCT, 20-35, in river, Mar'98

Hi everyone... i live in CT and have become interested in the case of a missing person from Danbury and the possibility of this john doe found in Old Saybrook. I haven't seen a thread about this person yet...
    From the NCMEC:
    OLD SAYBROOK CONNECTICUT JOHN DOE
    Case Type: Unidentified
    DOB: Sex: Male
    Missing Date: Mar 31, 1998 Race: White/Hisp
    Age Now: 20-30 Height: 5'8" (173 cm)
    Missing City: OLD SAYBROOK Weight: 200 lbs (91 kg)
    Missing State : CT Hair Color: Unknown
    Missing Country: United States Eye Color: Unknown
    Case Number: NCMU1105474
    Circumstances: This unidentified male was found in the Connecticut River in Old Saybrook, CT on March 31, 1998. The decedent may have been in the water for a number of years before his remains were found. He is believed to have been Caucasian or Hispanic, and is estimated to be between 20 and 30 years of age. The decedent was wearing an extra-large tan "Lavno" brand nylon jacket, size 36W x 32L black "Levi 550" brand jeans, cotton socks, and size 9-1/2 black "Fila" brand sneakers. It is unknown if the decedent had any tattoos or scars. His front teeth protruded and his upper left front tooth slightly overlapped the upper right front tooth.The photograph above is a computer-assisted facial reconstruction done by a forensic artist at the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children. Items such as eye color and hair style are the artist's estimations to complete the image, and should not be considered as significant markers for identification.

And then from the Danbury Police Dept. theres the case of Edivano Ribeiro, who went missing in 1996.

Missing Since: February 10, 1996 from Danbury, Connecticut
    Classification: Endangered Missing
    Date of Birth: November 10, 1971
    Height and Weight: 5'7, 150 pounds
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Hispanic (Brazilian) male. Black hair, brown eyes.

Ribeiro was last seen in the 20 block of New Street in Danbury, Connecticut on February 10, 1996. He has never been heard from again. About two years after his disappearance, his car was found abandoned in a garage in New York City.
    Ribeiro worked as a busboy in 1996. He disappeared shortly before a scheduled trip to visit his family in Brazil. It's uncharacteristic of him to be out of touch with his loved ones. Foul play is suspected in his case, which remains unsolved.

I think not much has been done with Edivano's case because his family is in Brazil.
    On John Doe's description it is said his body was most likely in the water "for a few years". Its not much of a long-shot since Edivano went missing in 1996. Anyhow, I'd love to hear any opinions on these cases. Thanks! -z
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 10-12-2012 at 11:29 PM.

The weight is quite a bit off, but the rest may match up. I have no idea how they can tell the weight after "a few years" in a river. Also the distance is pretty far, over an hour, don't bodies usually get dumped locally?

This looks very good to me. I'd call it in.

The vital stats are in-line. I don't know how they come up with a 200 lb weight approximation on skeletal remains. Maybe they are looking at the size of his clothes. His pants have a 36 inch waist. That is fairly chunky for a 5'6 to 5'8 male, so the 200 lb estimate seems reasonable. That would seem to be the only thing that is off. But we don't know when Ribeiro was weighed in at 150. Maybe it was before he moved to the U.S., where he may have developed fattening eating habits.

The time frame makes sense. The distance between Danbury and Old Saybrook is 77 miles. Furthermore, the route from Danbury to Old Saybrook takes you toward NYC, where his car was found.

There are no rule-outs listed in NamUs.

https://identifyus.org/cases/1821

NamUs indicates that no DNA sample is available, so it hasn't been ruled out by default in CODIS.

I wish they had a better straight-on photo of Ribeiro with his teeth showing. The UID's teeth are distinctive enough that you could get pretty good certainty whether or not it is him on that alone.

In Ribeiro's NamUs page, it doesn't look like they have any identifiers (fingerprints, Dentals, or DNA) on file. So they would probably have to go through international channels to get in touch with family members if they wanted to confirm this.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/4412/0/

BTW, welcome to Websleuths, *zoe*! It seems like it's so often the newbies that come up with such good possibles.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 05-15-2010 at 01:20 AM.

FWIW, baggy pants have been the rage for a long, long time right? It is possible the decedent did what my nephews used to do, which is buy his pants a few sizes big and wear fancy boxers, or belt them around his thighs and tuck in his shirt, KWIM? If LE is using pant size for weight, this is where it might be going awry...
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

That's exactly what I was thinking

Quote Originally Posted by believe09 View Post
    FWIW, baggy pants have been the rage for a long, long time right? It is possible the decedent did what my nephews used to do, which is buy his pants a few sizes big and wear fancy boxers, or belt them around his thighs and tuck in his shirt, KWIM? If LE is using pant size for weight, this is where it might be going awry...
    When the teens are a waist size 32 wear their pants baggy (jailin') they usually buy a size 36 so they bag at the largest part of their behind (or below it in most cases). So that could very well account for the difference in approx. weight. This would be accompanied by colorful or printed boxer shorts (for show).

Quote Originally Posted by mischiefmanager View Post
    When the teens are a waist size 32 wear their pants baggy (jailin') they usually buy a size 36 so they bag at the largest part of their behind (or below it in most cases). So that could very well account for the difference in approx. weight. This would be accompanied by colorful or printed boxer shorts (for show).
    Thanks for the lingo!!!!
    email me

Bob Harrod SAR

― Maya Angelou

Doenetwork has dental information

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/272umct.html

Dentals: Available, His front teeth protruded and his upper left front tooth slightly overlapped the upper right front tooth. Postmortem avulsion and accounted for #7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 27, 28.

No fingerprints or DNA available

If we recalculate his (the Doe's) BMI based on 5'6" to 5'8" and 150 give or take, he is slightly underweight to average.
    http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/av.htm

200lbs is going to put him squarely in the over weight area.

I wonder if Danbury police can tell us if Ribeiro was "jailin" with his clothing style?

There is no belt listed on the decedant, which doesnt mean there wasnt one...it could be hold back. If the decedant had enough of a butt to hold his pants up, he might not have needed the belt and still could have worn his pants big. If that makes any sense. Or maybe the belt was the murder weapon-like maybe he was strangled with it??
    Last edited by believe09; 05-15-2010 at 10:19 AM.
    email me

Bob Harrod SAR

― Maya Angelou

Wink thanks!

carlk90245 (& everyone!)thanks so much... i hesitated before posting this thread since im so new, but the possibility really ate away at me.
    i agree the weight is a bit off, however, they are skeletal remains as you said. the dentals are the key here i think, w/o dna, etc. the photo for edivano is not so great, thats why i really needed you guys to check this one out. thanks again!!
    ...i've obviously never done this before, so... what now?

Well, a couple of things can be done.

1.) Someone call call LE for the MP case and ask them if Ribeiro had crooked teeth and was either heavier than reported OR wore his pants big. And if there is any hold back info, like he had a previous fracture somewhere or was missing a leg or something else that would distinguish him from this John Doe.

2.) Someone could call LE for the UID and see if Ribeiro has been ruled out as a possible match for the Doe.
    email me

Bob Harrod SAR

― Maya Angelou

did anyone ever report the possible match with Ribeiro?

Red face

i looked for contact info on the website for the danbury police, apparently the email hasn't been created? i'll look again. i feel really crappy not calling this in, i've just never called any such thing in before. i understand LE is busy. i dunno, i just sort of made the possible connection between rubeiro and john doe... anyhow, let me get on it already.

Snufamonbobball is offline But O for the touch of the vanished hand & the sound of the voice that is still.
    This potential match was submitted to LE from a member of Porchlight in June of 2010. I probably should say, I see this potential match in Porchlight's potential match database, it says it was submitted in June of 2010.

FWIW, I think this is a very reasonable match Zoe, and if you have questions or concerns about submitting matches, there are lots of people here who are very good, and can help you in most aspects of submissions.
    The more I get to know some people, the more I like my cats!

Two rule-outs now listed:

Kenneth LaManna 1949 Connecticut
    Stephen Sullivan 1962 New York

Still no FPs, DNA, or dentals available for Edivano Ribeiro, per NamUs.

Quote Originally Posted by Snufamonbobball View Post
    This potential match was submitted to LE from a member of Porchlight in June of 2010. I probably should say, I see this potential match in Porchlight's potential match database, it says it was submitted in June of 2010.

FWIW, I think this is a very reasonable match Zoe, and if you have questions or concerns about submitting matches, there are lots of people here who are very good, and can help you in most aspects of submissions.
    I've been out of the loop a bit... if I was to submit this, how would I go about it? As much of a long shot as it may be, I definitely think it's worth it. Any suggestions? Thanks!! :-)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast