KY KY - Kenton Co, OH River Across From Cincinnati, WhtMale 25-35, UP84, Morton's toe, Big Toenails Filed Pointedly, Sz 11 Timberland Boots, Cigs, May'99

frankr

Reaction score
(first, if this is a dupe, sorry, for some reason I cannot do searches as I "don't have permission" to do so).

Anyway, I came across this case in NAMUS and was curious because I grew up in WV. Where the body is found is right between Ohio and Kentucky, but could have easily floated in from the Kanawha River in WV.

https://identifyus.org/cases/84

The description is lacking, he was in the river for "weeks" and is 6'0", 25-35, white male. NAMUS also mentions that the body had "Morton's toe" and big toenails filed to a point. Mortons toe basically means that your 2nd toe (beside your big toe) is longer than your big toe.

NAMUS also has partial dental records, but most of the front teeth fell out.

DNA is "entered", how does that help us here?

The other thing that is worth mention is that his #6 tooth (right upper canine) is turned inward and grown away from its socket. This should be an obvious thing to look for with any possibles who are showing their teeth in their photos.

The "DNA is Entered" helps us in that we should not bother with any possibles that indicate that their DNA is in CODIS. The CODIS system should automatically catch the match if there is a match to be made.

There seem to be a lot of men who turn up in the Ohio River between Ohio and Kentucky. The first time I went through Namus, it startled me. It's like men turn up there, and women are dumped along the highways, and then Hispanic men are either hung or else shot behind barns or abandoned farm houses.

I hope you can identify this man.

I've been through Namus and the Doe project several times looking in all the states that I believe to be possibles either for dumping the body or for it floating downstream. That includes: Ohio, WV, Kentucky and Indiana. It is theoretically possible that the body also floated down from Pennsylvania too. I think I can rule out upstream on the Kanawha or it's tributaries outside of WV due to the locks which would trap the body I assume.

I will check PA today.

Would you like my help? I'll look wherever you want. :)

I'll take any help I can get! I checked PA and got side tracked by another case, but when I got back to it, I found nothing even close. I did find this body from WV earlier in spring (technically winter) from a guy who was fishing. His body could have easily ended up in the there, but the clothing is not a complete match.

Jason Adkins
https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/1247/1/

I even emailed the contact for his case from NAMUS and did not hear back (it's been about 2 weeks now).

Ok!

I found these on the Doe Network, I went to December 1998 and opened every one that was not labeled B, who was from 23-37 years old. I didn't put a lot of thought into people from other continents, but I found these men. None of them have a broken nose listed, but that doesn't mean the nose wasn't broken after they went missing (I figured). Unfortunately, they're both from Canada, so I'm not sure how likely a match they'd be.

Robert Joseph Breau is from New Brunswick: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3654dmnb.html I don't know why I didn't take him out, but something about his case just seemed like I shouldn't ignore it.

Richard Ranger is from Ontario: He was last seen wearing jeans and brown leather shoes: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1796dmon.html I thought maybe if he's mentally ill, he hitched a ride and came into the US through the NY crossing. It's probably a stretch.

I looked in Namus (pre-May 1999) at Kentucky, Ohio, New York. I'll go back and do Indiana and Illinois in a minute.

I just went through November, too, just in case, but didn't find anything. I didn't find anyone that would be a match within 1998-1999 in Indiana and Illinois. I think I'll try Michigan and then Florida. I know a LOT of people move between FL and KY.

eta: No one in Michigan or Florida. The one possible match I found in Michigan is missing a toe. I think that would be listed on the John Doe's report.

I wonder if he's homeless, and people don't realize that he's missing. But I'll keep moving out in circles from Ohio/Kentucky.

Maybe focus on states where he could come in on an interstate? I-71, I-74, and I-75 all run through there. It's quite a cross-roads.

PS - Where else do you look besides NAMUS and Doe Network?

I walked all the way through 1998 and 1999 in Porchlight today with no luck. I signed up for a Porchlight login so I can use the search feature, hopefully that comes through soon.

According to Namus, the footwear that was found on the body was a brown Timberlake ankle high boots, size 11 Medium.

I'm thinking that this looks like a pair of work shoes to me. Are they steel toes?

I haven't forgotten this man, I've been very ill lately. I'm trying to think of where else we could look. I can go through the different state police missing people, if you want. I won't be as fast, but I'll still look.

I can see if I can find any info on Timberland boots. I know some are steel toed, some aren't. But I wonder if there is a little white tag inside the "tongue" of the boot that has an id number. That would help us narrow down the exact boot, at least.

eta: They don't look like the type to have steel toes, but that doesn't really mean much. I found a pair of tennis shoes with steel toes at Walmart once.

hm. I am kind of wondering what to do with this. It appears that the person I contacted won't see if a potential match has dna or dentals on record. What should I do? Should I contact the RCMP to see if there is a match?

Richard Ranger is not a match. There is no way to exclude Robert Breau.

eta: I emailed the authorities in NS, to ask if they thought he could be a match to John Doe, and to see if there were dna on file or dental records. Even if he is officially excluded, at least I've tried.

On a somewhat related note, does anyone know why I can't search?

Frankr you have to have a certain amount of posts to perform certain functions here as a member. I am trying to remember but I think once you hit 50 posts you will see an increase in the functions you can perform. Hope that helps

According to Namus, the footwear that was found on the body was a brown Timberlake ankle high boots, size 11 Medium.

I'm thinking that this looks like a pair of work shoes to me. Are they steel toes?

Hi nerosleuth, I very rarely come to the UID threads. I was brought here following something else entirely.

Could those Timberlands be hiking boots? I only suggest that because I see the cushion around the ankles. Also, that's a might expensive brand newish looking boots for anyone that has been homeless for awhile (just suggesting that from a comment made upthread).

I wonder could this young man been hiking on a ridge or near a creek that runs into the OH somewhere upriver? Just a thought.

I wonder could this young man been hiking on a ridge or near a creek that runs into the OH somewhere upriver? Just a thought.

Hi Kat, yes he could have been hiking on a ridge or near a creek. It is also possible that he could have been hiking on another river that flows into the Ohio River.

On the Kentucky side, there is the Licking River that flows into the Ohio River. The Licking River seperates the cities of Covington and Newport and Kenton and Campbell Counties in Kentucky.

On the Ohio side, there is the Little Miami River that flows into the Ohio River. The Little Miami River is west of I-275 in the eastern suburbs of Cincinnati.

He was found floating in Kenton County, Kentucky along the Ohio River across from Cincinnati. So that would mean that he was found in the river somewhere between Covington and Ludlow on the Kentucky side.

There is a lock and dam on the Ohio River just west of Augusta, Kentucky. So it's possible that he could have went into the Ohio River somewhere between Augusta and Ludlow.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/84

ME/C Case Number: FA-1999-19
Kenton County, Kentucky
25 to 35 year old White Male

Date found May 08, 1999
Weight (pounds) , Cannot Estimate
Height (inches) 72, Measured

No deformities, but 2 interesting findings: "Morton's toe" and big toenails filed to a point.

Obvious crossbite (tooth 6 - canine tooth on the left looking at the person tucks inwards)
EXAMPLE Image I found on the internet:
Crossbite.jpg

Levi 560 jeans 34X32; diamond-pattern boxer shorts; white socks
Brown Timberland ankle-high boots size 11 Medium (image at Namus)

Found floating in the Ohio River near Cincinnati, Ohio.
Probable year of death 1998 to 1999
Estimated postmortem interval Weeks

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/a/adkins_jason.html

adkins_jason7.jpg

Full Name: Jason Scott Adkins
Height: 5'9
Weight: 160-170 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Blue
Birthdate: April 1, 1975
Missing From: Huntington WV
Case #: 99-0614
NCIC# M-184143434
Date of Disappearance: Jan. 17, 1999
Last Seen Wearing: A brown leather jacket, coveralls, blue jeans and possibly Nike tennis shoes

Jason Scott Adkins was fishing on the Ohio River with his brother on Jan. 17, 1999 when the boat he was in had engine failure. Around this same time frame, a barge passing by caused a series of large waves in the river where the men were fishing, and caused the boat to capsize.

Only one of the brothers inside the boat with Jason Scott Adkins made it out of the boat and went to call for help.

As search and rescue crews arrived, they reported it appeared as if someone had exited the water in a certain area that was different from where the sole survivor would've left the wreckage. Police asked the family was it a possibility that Jason Scott Adkins could've faked his death because he owed back child support. Both his estranged wife and family do not believe Jason Scott Adkins faked his death that fateful day because he only was $200 behind on child support.

Three inches too short and two years too young.

Investigations into the Ohio River reveal that it is 'very possible' for a body to float 100+ miles from Huntington to Kenton in 15 weeks.

Submitted.

Just seen he is on the rule out list which I missed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back