KY KY - Hopkinsville, HispMale 30-40, UP97, Hanged in Tobacco Barn, Note in Red Coat w/ Scribbled Name: Louis Rlanco? Blanco?, MI Sweatshirt, Jan'02

Reels

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is a duplicate, my search function isn't working (it says I don't have permission).

https://identifyus.org/cases/97

This case bothers me, because it is one of at least 2 where the man is found hanging (they've taken that out of his description since the last time I read it). He was found in 2002, they think he could've been there from 2001-2002. He's approximately 30-40 and approximately 57", but they had no weight estimation.

I tried searching for the name that was in the pocket, but didn't find anyone (Louis Rlanco/Blanco and I've tried substituting "i" for the "l" and also spelling "Louis" like "Luis").

Should I start looking for missing Hispanic men from the area? This is the first time I've done this, and I'm doing it because I can't get these men out of my head. They didn't deserve to die this horrific way, and I think that as long as there are people who know what happened to them, someone should be looking to identify them and tell their stories. However, I'm a little afraid of contacting the local authorities here due to problems we had in the past after calling in domestic violence for our neighbor.

I am from this area and am familiar with this case - he was found hanging in a tobacco barn. There are alot of Hispanics who travel to this area for farm work and not all are legal. With that said, the name in the pocket could very well be the name he was using and not his real name. The Hispanics were very migratory in Hopkinsville during this time - they stayed while the work was plentiful then moved on to another area until the next season's crops were planted. Many of the farmers were not very diligent about work authorization so I would assume that many of the workers were not legal and using someone else's identity.

I know that does not give you much to work with but I wanted you to realize how difficult it would be to ID a Hispanic farmworker considering that there is a very good chance that he was not working legally and any friends of his would be unlikely to point out his real name if it would mean exposing thier deception (I work with a large hispanic population and am used to how private they are - especially if they are using someone else's documents).

Thank you for your post.

I'm afraid you're right. I was thinking about it last night again, after trying to find missing persons reports for Hispanic men. It's horrible that these poor workers can't even expect to have their lives respected.

It's wrong, that these men are not spoken for and given justice. It's terrifying to think that they are being hung, and no one is doing anything about it. I wish there were a way to speak anonymously with the migrant workers, but I am sure that anonymity was used as a lie in the past to arrest some of them.

I think I'll keep looking, but that I won't have my hopes up. Maybe once we leave the state we can start a memorial page for them, so they at least are not forgotten, even if we never know their names. I feel so bad for them, no one deserves to die this way.

Oh, he has DNA and dental! There's even scans of his teeth on the NamUs page. Hopefully he has been reported missing by now, it's been 15 years since he was found...

A sketch or a re-construction would help a lot. Also the state he was found in is not a super popular destination for certain classes of migrant workers so that in & of itself could narrow down ways to find his ID.

Sadly being undocumented or unwilling to go to the police causes a lot of hazards for people in the United States.

Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP97
Male, Hispanic / Latino

Date Body Found: January 27, 2002
Location Found: Hopkinsville, Christian County, Kentucky
Estimated Age: Adult - Pre 40; 30-40

Estimated Year of Death: 2001-2002
Estimated PMI: Weeks
Height/Weight: Cannot Estimate
Eye Color: Unknown

Hair Color: Black
Clothing On The Body: Blue jeans; blue sweatshirt with "Michigan" on chest; multicolored hooded sweatshirt; single black glove, black shoes
Clothing Near The Body: Red coat

Circumstances of Recovery: Found in a tobacco barn. Note in a nearby coat with a scribbled name: Louis Rlanco? Blanco?

"0 Missing Person Exclusions"

In addition, per The Doe Network:

Estimated Date of Death: 2 to 6 weeks prior
State of Remains: Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction
Cause of Death: Hanging

Dentals: Available.
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: mtDNA available in FBI NMPDD (ref #301-HQ-1490668).

Case History: The victim was located hanging in a rural tobacco barn on Disposal Plant Road.

Agency Name: Christian County Coroner's Office
Agency Contact Person: Amy Burrows-Beckham
Agency Phone Number: 270-889-9393 or 502-852-5587

Agency Case Number: ME02-021
NCIC Case Number: U610003379

What about Glenn Richard Hustin Jr.?
04CA11E2-95F2-4B3F-98F4-65CCCD8D2428.jpeg
Missing from Middleton, Michigan since Feb 2001
- 30 years old, 5’5”, 115 lbs, brown hair & eyes
- He has a couple of nicknames listed: Lenny, Glenny, Len. He was also mentally disabled.

He was scheduled to appear as a witness in an upcoming criminal case and failed to show up for work one day. The case involved his landlord/employer whom he witnessed steal some weapons and assault a child in his apartment complex.

The charges were ultimately dismissed because Glenn was the only eyewitness and apparently the meat and potatoes of the prosecution’s case. As a result and opposed to a 5 year prison sentence, the landlord was fined for a lesser charge.

Glenn’s bicycle disappeared along with him but was found at a trucking company warehouse in Ithaca a few weeks later.

According to The Charley Project, Glenn’s sister tried looking into his disappearance but felt like people were following her. At one point someone had smashed the windows of her car and her search eventually ended.

It’s over 500 miles (8 hours) between the two locations, a direct shot down I-69, but IMO the circumstances surrounding his disappearance lessen the significance of that detail. It’s stretching the PMI a little also.

ETA: And the landlord’s name is Roger Eugene Brown...so no “Louis B/Rlanco” that I saw...

Trucking company warehouse--is he connected to our Blue Star guy?
WAY to small (5’5”,115) :p and a few years too late, but that detail caught my eye too! When I first saw Glenn, I thought of “Waldo” (1990, Daviess, hands and feet cut off)...but that was also before Glenn went missing.

Good to know about that MI warehouse though...

WAY to small (5’5”,115) :p and a few years too late, but that detail caught my eye too! When I first saw Glenn, I thought of “Waldo” (1990, Daviess, hands and feet cut off)...but that was also before Glenn went missing.

Good to know about that MI warehouse though...

I wasn't thinking he was Blue Star Guy. I meant whether that might connect the same perp to both that death and Glenn's disappearance.

I wasn't thinking he was Blue Star Guy. I meant whether that might connect the same perp to both that death and Glenn's disappearance.
Ahh! Gotcha! That’s very possible! It could actually connect a few come to think of it. In the other UID who were hanged, there was at least some speculation or indication of it being a suicide or not. Not in this one, there’s nothing - no beating, no removal of hands.

I didn’t think about that when considering Glenn, but do we think this most likely was not a suicide? It might be worth looking into this case with the landlord. And the warehouse in Ithaca...

*ETA: a little more detail on Glenn.. 'Lenny' Hustin's been missing 10 years; his family wants answers

Last edited:
Whoahhhh. :eek: Per the link above...
“Rumors and theories centered on the idea that Hustin went to Florida. Police said that was later determined not to be true. Another rumor was that Brown moved Hustin to Kentucky, where his son lived, to keep Hustin quiet. Police in Kentucky checked that out and never found Hustin, according to police reports.”

Whoahhhh. :eek: Per the link above...
“Rumors and theories centered on the idea that Hustin went to Florida. Police said that was later determined not to be true. Another rumor was that Brown moved Hustin to Kentucky, where his son lived, to keep Hustin quiet. Police in Kentucky checked that out and never found Hustin, according to police reports.”

:eek: is right. Gotta look into this some more.

His last meal was a package of raw hotdogs and a 12-pack of Milwaukee's Best beer. He ate--probably alone--in an old tobacco barn that hugs the edge of Disposal Plant Road just a couple hundred yards away off West Seventh Street.
[...]
He decided to end his life here. It was late last year, possibly around Thanksgiving, and he prepared for his death by writing a goodbye note to strangers. He scrawled his brief message with a pencil on a pair of 3 inch square, yellow PostIt notes. On one note he wrote, “Thanks sheffirs, friends, because your help me when I needed something. I hope the Lord give you a happy life....I'm Louis Blanco." On the other one, which is barely legible, he offered to donate his liver to anyone who needed it. Then he stuffed the notes into his denim pants pocket and started to climb. From a wooden pallet leaning against the inside wall, he reached the first of seven horizontal beams. Beam by beam, he ascended to the top, carrying with him an inch thick white nylon rope. That's where city police found him on Jan.27, 2002, hanging from the top of an empty tobacco barn.
[...]
The barn is about half a mile from the Greyhound Bus Station, so he could have arrived on a bus, walked to one of the convenience stores on Seventh Street to get the hotdogs and beer, then headed for the barn to eat and drink. He might have slept there a few days.
[...]
His body was found Jan.27. Although police speculate he killed himself around Thanksgiving after eating a last meal of raw hot dogs and beer.
[...]
Louis Blanco was Hispanic and may have been around 50 years old. He was 5 foot 6, weighed about 160 pounds and had black and gray shoulder length hair. At the time of his death, he had a small duffel bag with very little in it and less than a dollar in change to his name, according to police.
[...]
One of the last people Louis Blanco thought about before he climbed to the highest tier of a tobacco barn and hanged himself was Crofton Police Cheif Chuck Gresham.
[...]
When Gresham learned earlier this week that Hopkinsville Police had found remnants of Blanco's last meal... in particular, the wrapping from a package of hot dogs..in the barn on Disposal Plant Road, he realized that he was the police officer mentioned in the suicide note. Until then Gresham had all but forgotten about the Hispanic man he found walking alone one night on U.S.41 in Crofton. He had not made the connection between the suicide victim and the man he encountered about three months ago. "I can't pinpoint the day, but it was sometime in early November," Gresham said. "The wind was blowing real, real hard. It was cold."
[...]
Gresham said the night he met Blanco, the man had no money. He told Gresham he had walked and hitch-hiked from Indiana, where he did seaonal farm work. He was from Mexico. Blanco said he had been in Crofton two years earlier. He was looking for a tobacco farmer who had given him work in the past. Gresham believed Blanco, although he suspected he was in the country illegally. Gresham's experience with U.S. immigration officials has been that they won't send an agent for one illegal alien. Rather than arrest him, Gresham decided to help Blanco. "You could tell he was a man down on his luck," Gresham said. Blanco did not ask for anything but Gresham knew he needed a meal and a place to sleep.I said, "do you have somewhere to go? It's cold. he said no." Gresham took Blanco to Crofton City Hall. When they got there, Kay Durham, a Crofton city councilwoman, went next door to the fire hall and took two packages of hot dogs from the freezer. Durham heated one package in the microwave oven, and Blanco quickly devoured the hot dogs.Blanco put the other package in his duffle bag along with several cans of soda, some bottled water and a blanket that Durham gave him. Gresham also gave Blanco $2 and Durham gave him $4 or $5. Durham's blanket was found in the barn where Blanco died. Police also found several beer cans left over from a 12-pack of Milwaukee's Best beer that he apparently had with the second package of hot dogs. When Gresham last saw Blanco, he was leaving city hall to spend the night in a mobile home up the street. Two Mexican farm workers shared the mobile home and one of them had agreed to let Blanco stay there until he found work. The mobile home burned several weeks ago. Gresham hasn't been able to find the two men who lived there to ask them about Blanco. Gresham found a piece of paper in his office this week with "Louis Blanco" written on it. He remembers that he had asked Blanco to write his name because he was having trouble understanding him. "His English was very broken," he said.Police don't know when Blanco left Crofton. He could have walked the 10 miles to Hopkinsville on U.S.41. The barn where Blanco died is less than a mile from Gresham's house.
[...]
City police could never positively identify him, althogh they believe his name was Louis Blanco. The name is all they had. It seemed like something he wanted people to remember. Someone did. Last summer, a few weeks after Blanco was buried in the pauper's section of Riverside Cemetery, a North Christian County woman collected donations for a headstone for his grave. When she took the money---$170 to the old Hopkinsville Monument office next to the cemetery on North Main Street and asked what she could buy. She told office manager Greg Ramey that she didn't want to give her name. Her name didn't matter, she said. She was just an angel of mercy, she said. The woman didn't have enough money to buy a headstone. Ramey agreed to makeup the difference but said he needed a name to fill out a contract for his records. "We had to put a name on the contract, so she came up with Ann Rose." "That was her idea," he said. Ramey didn't know the woman and had never seen her before. But like him, she had read about Blanco in the Kentucky New Era and was apparently moved by the suicide note. "I just felt so sorry for the guy." Ramey said.When he designed the headstone, Ramey decided that it had to include Blanco's final message exactly as he wrote it, including the misspelled reference to a sheriff. Ramey said it just didn't feel right to change even a misspelled word. "I thought, no, he wrote this and I'm going to do it just like he wrote it," he said.

The 'shot' part puzzles me I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere else.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zen1974
Back