736 users online (130 members and 606 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

MI - Aiyana Jones, 7, fatally shot in Detroit PD raid, 16 May 2010

Rest in peace, Aiyana.

Aiyana's father

Last Updated: May 17. 2010 3:22PM
    Crime show taped Detroit raid that led to 7-year-old's death

Detroit -- An attorney representing the family of a 7-year-old girl shot to death during a Sunday morning raid says the family knows the Detroit police officer who fired the fatal shot is "not a monster" but said the police operation was flawed and influenced by TV production concerns.

The police "were excited; they were on TV," said Oak Park attorney Karri Mitchell, who is representing the family of Aiyana Jones. "They didn't have to throw a grenade through the front window when they knew there were children in there."

The attempted arrest of a murder suspect at a two-unit house on Lillibridge on the city's east side was videotaped for an episode of "The First 48," a reality crime show on the Arts & Entertainment Network, said Detroit police spokesman John Roach.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...#ixzz0oDmOKkP0

Aiyana Jones – Killed By The Police of Detroit

Posted on May 17, 2010

Aiyana Jones was falling asleep wen the officer shots her.The youngest was sleeping on a couch in the apartment of her parents when there was an officer shot by officers looking for the suspect in a homicide.

The dead girl’s father, Charles Jones, told The Detroit News, who had just moments before going to bed and covered her daughter with her favorite blanket, with designs of the Disney Princesses.

He explained that suddenly heard a bang and moments after police entered the house, knocked him down on the blood of his own daughter and arrested him.

http://www.dailyhotnews.org/1033/aiy...ce-of-detroit/

7 Y/o Girl Killed During Detroit Police Raid

AssociatedPress

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQpkY...layer_embedded
    Last edited by KateB; 05-16-2015 at 12:05 AM. Reason: repair url tag.

I have to wonder if DPD emotions were also running high b/c of the recent shooting death of one of their own. Not that it makes it any better, but it did cross my mind...

Marie is offline Daughter, if you don't remember us...who will?
    This story is another good example of how parents choose drugs or other criminal lifestyles over their children. This little girl would be alive if her parents were more responsible and upstanding citizens.

And now they want to sue?

Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    Aww..rest in peace Aiyana!

I agree about the parents.

I hope the taping of the show did not cause LE to act any different than they would normally.

O/T: The First 48 is my favorite show.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

Rest in peace little Aiyana.

Police were looking for a murder suspect which none of the parents are. So what exactly does the lifestyle of the parents have to do with it? From the article, I am not even sure if the suspect actually lived in the apartment with the parents, or in the other apartment of the duplex. By the way somebody could be the most upstanding citizen and fall the victim to the "no knock" warrant-quite recently an innocent mayor's dogs were shot and killed by the police during one of those "no knock" searches. And I don't understand why the police gun would just go off-shouldn't there be safety on to prevent it from just going off?
    Last edited by jjenny; 05-17-2010 at 09:40 PM.

having badges and being on tv doesnt give you the right to act irresonsibly. i dont understand how they shot a 7 year old sleeping under a blanket?

watch them try to turn it around and say she had a water pistol that looked like a real gun

Quote Originally Posted by Marie View Post
    This story is another good example of how parents choose drugs or other criminal lifestyles over their children. This little girl would be alive if her parents were more responsible and upstanding citizens.

And now they want to sue?

TOTALLY DISAGREE! While doing drugs is not what most consider "an acceptable lifestyle choice", and I don't either, it MOST CERTAINLY does NOT make this horrific CRIME okay. No way, not in any way, shape or form.

People fall victim to the evils of drug abuse regardless of whether they are "upstanding" citizens. Funny thing is, in addition to illegal drugs, there are SOOO many people who are drug addicts and their drugs of choice are LEGALLY PRESCRIBED and they go through their daily lives living a lie like they are "upstanding" citizens (your word) and in the end, an addict is an addict. Period.

I am so offended by your post. The fact that the PD in this case screwed up royally is the reason why this little girl is dead, and nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by kbl8201 View Post
    having badges and being on tv doesnt give you the right to act irresonsibly. i dont understand how they shot a 7 year old sleeping under a blanket?

watch them try to turn it around and say she had a water pistol that looked like a real gun
    I don't think it was done on purpose, somehow the gun accidentally went off.

great so they're just totally incompetent. doesnt exactly make it any better.

Quote Originally Posted by eleven View Post
    TOTALLY DISAGREE! While doing drugs is not what most consider "an acceptable lifestyle choice", and I don't either, it MOST CERTAINLY does NOT make this horrific CRIME okay. No way, not in any way, shape or form.

People fall victim to the evils of drug abuse regardless of whether they are "upstanding" citizens. Funny thing is, in addition to illegal drugs, there are SOOO many people who are drug addicts and their drugs of choice are LEGALLY PRESCRIBED and they go through their daily lives living a lie like they are "upstanding" citizens (your word) and in the end, an addict is an addict. Period.

I am so offended by your post. The fact that the PD in this case screwed up royally is the reason why this little girl is dead, and nothing more.
    This actually had nothing to do with drugs. It was not a drug bust. Police were looking for a murder suspect. The house is a duplex, and it's not even clear to me if the murder suspect was actually in the same apartment where the girl was, or in the other one.
    Last edited by jjenny; 05-17-2010 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    This actually had nothing to do with drugs. It was not a drug bust. Police were looking for a murder suspect. The house is a duplex, and it's not even clear if the murder suspect was actually in the same apartment where the girl was, or in the other one.
    I was responding to the post that stated that this is a "good example" of how parents who choose drugs and other undesireable lifestyles somehow can expect this....(obviously I am paraphrasing, but that is the jist of the post)

And, how scary is it that even NOW, well AFTER this occurred, that it isn't clear if the murder suspect was actually even in the same apartment?
    That means that it wasn't clear if he was in the apt at the time the girl was murdered!

I work very closely with LE and respect them and their job as a whole, but that respect ends when sheer incompetence kills an innocent little girl. Rule #1 in LE is that you ALWAYS have complete control of your weapon.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast