1109 users online (158 members and 951 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MA - Man Allegedly Tries to Sell Baby for Beer

Man Allegedly Tries to Sell Baby for Beer
    Story Published: May 17, 2010 at 10:51 PM EDT

(Story Updated: May 17, 2010 at 11:07 PM EDT )

A man has been summonsed to court after allegedly trying to sell his infant daughter for a case of beer.

Police confronted 24 year old Matthew Brace outside the Pride Gas Station on Burnett Road in Chicopee Monday afternoon after a caller said he offered his baby in exchange for beer money.

Police say the mother, 31 year old Wendy Arsenault, was inside the store and didn't realize what Brace was doing.

http://www.cbs3springfield.com/news/local/94018704.html
    What lies behind you and what lies in front of you pales in comparison to what lies inside of you....
    Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

Man tries to trade baby for beer

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us-Mkh02dKQ[/ame]
    What lies behind you and what lies in front of you pales in comparison to what lies inside of you....
    Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

Man accused of offering to swap baby for beer
    May 18, 2010

CHICOPEE, Mass.—Chicopee police say a man faces a child endangerment charge after allegedly offering to swap his 3-month-old daughter for a pair of 40-ounce beers.

Police say 24-year-old Matthew Brace of Northampton made the offer to a maintenance man outside a gas station convenience store on Monday. The maintenance man called police, who say they found Brace hiding with the girl behind a trash container.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...baby_for_beer/
    Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    Again people, our children are not for sale! You can not use them for drugs, money, cigarettes, a parrot (yes, this happened), BEER... It's illegal!!!!!

What are these people thinking?!?!?!?!!!!
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

Offered his three month old baby girl for 2 40's? Really?
    At that level of alcoholic...how are you still alive?

I don't understand people. Who would think that 80 ounces of beer is better than the love of your own child.
    I know this has nothing to do with age, I say that myself repeatedly...but some days I am ashamed to be a parent in my early 20's. Not that I have done anything wrong, but people like this guy are just making the judgments and stereotypes on young parents worse.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

selling a baby for beer?

and i thought trading kids for a paraqueet was low

Hope it was just a bad joke that the other man didn't understand.

If he thought that a couple of beers are worth his baby for real... Oh no.

Quote Originally Posted by southernbrunette View Post
    and whatever happened to just simply making a cardboard sign on the side of the road saying you need money, God bless, to get your beer?
    or getting a job to earn the money to buy one

I never realized children had become a commodity until coming to WS. I will never understand people who do ugly things to their children. I simply don't have that capacity. So many of them thrown away like yesterday's newspaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda View Post
    I never realized children had become a commodity until coming to WS. I will never understand people who do ugly things to their children. I simply don't have that capacity. So many of them thrown away like yesterday's newspaper.
    BBM - ...while so many loving people are unable to have children of their own. It's disgusting.
    "The test of the morality of a society is what it does for its children." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

*shaking head*

At first I thought this must surely be a joke.
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

Here's an update, folks.

Did he want two "40's" or was it slang for crack? This article now says "40" is slang for crack.

Not that it matters.

How much are two "40's" and if it's crack what would that be? Ten bucks? Ya know since he's selling an infant and all. Even if it was a bad joke he needs to be locked up.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/lifestyl...-1225868611272

I know nothing about crack, but from listening to rap music I always thought 40s meant the type of bag..like a bag of crack worth 40 dollars. I, of course, could be mistaken as I would never claim to be a crack connoisseur!
    Hey, SB you needn't be a connoisseur to know these things. Heck you spelled that word and I copied it.

I live in Philly and a mere bus ride or EL ride you hear all the jargon. It would make more sense if they sell beer in the gas station store. I know "40's" are malt liquor I think. Drunken from a brown paper bag is always a good way to go.

I didn't know they sold different sizes of bags of crack. They call them caps here and I'm fairly sure they're $5.00 a bag. Ready rock they call it. Maybe it differs State to State?

See we learn new things every day, right? I am in no way making light of this. Just stating what I've heard from NEIGHBORS up the block. They're loud these crack people. Too loud. Always on the move. Running around. Thankfully they don't have a baby, but if you pull your storm door off to sell it then maybe you'd sell a baby if you're desperate.

That's how crazy they are too. Like somebody is going to go "Sure I'll take an infant for a beer and some dope".

Unbelievable.

I know 40s in the beer sense are 40ounce beers sold up north, they don't sell those down here in FL. Although you don't have to go to a liquor store to get beer down here - it's sold in gas stations..the most you can buy I think is a 24 ounce. I could be wrong though, I don't drink either.

I think slang terms do vary state-to-state. When I was younger and more "in the know" lol, I lived in Baltimore for a while and marijuana was referred to as "kind bud" up there whereas it's "crippy" down here.

I keep hoping to hear this was some sort of joke but I don't think so. And even so - definitely not "cute". I don't even want to know what the street value/worth of a child is. Hearing stories like this kinda make me glad to be a single mom. At least I know I'm the only one with power to make decisions over my children and wouldn't ever have to worry about a lousy bf trying to peddle my infant for beer/drugs/whatever. (Who could have ever thought that'd be something to worry about anyway?!)
    You lived in Baltimore? I'm so just kidding.

O.K. seems this isn't the first time this guy made the news. No surprise there. Back in 2005 Brace and some of his family took over the home of some poor widower and stuck her in the basement with raw sewage. They were running a drugs out of the house.

The mom of the baby is also arrested here. We hadn't heard that. They'll be arraigned June 1st in court.

Oh and it has been determined the guy was looking for crack. The man asked the age of the baby. At that point Brace placed the baby stroller and all in the man's truck. That's when he pulled his "For two "40's" you can have her".

So, it's no joke.

Brace and the child's mother are housed by the State in an Econo Lodge. That's just wonderful. I'm sure all the good citizens in Mass. are happy to be paying that rent. No word on where this sweet baby is.

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.s...d_to_sell.html

Yeah for a year. Was assaulted by 2 guys when I was 7 months pregnant with my first and they made off with my engagement ring. I moved back shortly after my daughter was born. Scary town, IMO.

So when he put the stroller in the man's truck, was the man intending on making with the trade or was he the one who alerted authorities?

I don't even want to know that some strange man would want with an infant. Disgusting. I'm guessing mom thought this was a good idea too? Gimme another 10 months and we can get a couple more 40s!

SB, I am so sorry that happened to you. I am glad you're safe and the baby was O.K. I have no room to diss B-More as we call it, but indeed it's a scary town.

Yes, I think the guy that "dad" put the stroller in the truck is the one who called. Thank goodness.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast