Hooters Waitress Claims Weight Discrimination

angelmom

The love stays...forever in our hearts
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
http://www.ajc.com/news/hooters-waitress-says-weight-530333.html?cxtype=rss_news_81960

http://www.krld.com/Hooters-Waitress-Told-To-Lose-Weight-Or-Lose-Job--/7077152

For Cassie the damage has already been done.

The 20 year-old feels like she's a victim of weight discrimination by a corporation with unrealistic expectations.

“I don't want other girls to go through this. I don't want anyone to have to go through this.”

Okay, clearly this girl does not need to lose weight, but I had to laugh at her "woe is me" melodramatic attitude. She doesn't want other girls to go through...WHAT exactly? Being judged by their appearance? Being held to an impossible standard of beauty?

Too late, Honey. Thanks for helping with all that while you were working for Hooters (and continue to do so). I guess it's only a bad thing when HER job is at risk.

Did she think she was hired for her vast experience (at 20) and her scintillating conversation skills? Of course Hooters can have a weight standard, even if it is crazy!

1570227.jpg

oh anglemom i so agree with you! LOL what did she think "hooters" was looking for when she decided to put in her application for employment? its not like she was getting a job at burger king... and no, it doesnt look like she needs to loose weight - BUT just because a person can squeeze their bod into that tiny little uniform doesnt mean that it looks good. if i go to a chipendale show then i expect to see good looking males that look better than most guys walking down the street. and if i didnt - and if there was one sloppy looking dude mixed in, that would really stand out. i just dont believe that she had no idea that she was going to be judged by her appearance ... nope, dont believe that. i have a feeling that there might be A LOT more going on here than her appearance.

I wish I were so overweight. If you work for a company that prides itself, is known for, the way their waitresses look then you have to expect that you're going to have to meet their standards.

Personally, I think she's just looking for a lawsuit (or maybe to get paid to be on a talk show concerning how society makes girls insecure if they're not perfect).

Interestingly, I believe I heard on the news (no link, heard it this morning, sorry, so take it with a grain of salt until verification) that she actually weighed more when she started working there.

Interestingly, I believe I heard on the news (no link, heard it this morning, sorry, so take it with a grain of salt until verification) that she actually weighed more when she started working there.

I read that too, in one of the links.

Like I said, I do not think she needs to lose weight at all. What's interesting is that Hooters is denying the entire conversation!

I just find it incredibly amusing that she is so surprised to be judged on her looks in this job! ITA with the poster above who thinks she is looking for a lawsuit. Maybe waitressing is getting boring and there are no good husband prospects in sight!

Having worked in many restaurants back in the day, for many years, I have to laugh. Good grief, some put you out to pasture just b/c you have reached the old age of 25. No joking. Some only hire men because they look better in a tux. Some only hire short thin girls, some only tall thin girls, etc... Only family restaurants hire any and all, but you may only make thirty bucks a shift there too. Hooters, what is your next step? Dancing on table tops for cash. If the law suit goes through, Hooters will loose all those men coming in to oggle and not have to stuff large bills in panties. Oh well, then they can just change the name and begin the cycle again. Must admit that the gym membership is a bit snide though, seems she may have some issues other than weight with her employers. Restaurants have ways of edging problems out, generally starts with giving you unwanted shifts or few shift, and so on.

lol at angelmom!

Nail meet head. Nicely put mom :)

I haven't replied to this thread as of yet. I do think she has a valid complaint and it more than likely will be settled by Hooters out of court (they are known to do things that way IMHO).

Hooters is a concept restaurant as many are with the exception that Hooter's concept is to provide beer, wings and the hooter's girls.

I have some interesting snips that I will provide a link for at the bottom of this post:

snip:
...Hooters of America readily acknowledged that "the concept relies on natural female sex appeal" and the waitresses were encouraged to sit down and chat with the predominantly male clientele.

Speaking about an old case where 3 waitresses filed sexual harrasment charges:

snip:
...But in an interview with Corporate Report Minnesota, attorney Lisa A. Gray, hired by the restaurant, countered, "For me to deny that sex appeal is part of the concept, part of what's happening at Hooters, would be ludicrous. But I've always thought feminism is all about choice. If people are offended by Hooters, they should vote with their feet. Don't go to the restaurant to eat. Don't apply to work at it." Hooters of America also denied that Hooters restaurants fostered a "hostile environment" for women and publicly stressed a strict corporate policy against any form of sexual harassment. The suit was eventually settled out of court.

I bolded a statement in the above snip. This one area in which I disagree. This isn't about feminism.

snip:

...Hooters restaurants also attracted the attention of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), which launched an investigation in 1991 into alleged discrimination because Hooters refused to hire male waiters. In an 80-page finding released in 1994, the EEOC determined that "no physical trait unique to women is required to service food and drink to customers in a restaurant."

The EEOC did drop the investigation. (interesting read as to how that came about too.)

I think Hooter's wants to play both sides of the fence as far as regulations go that govern the food industry and those that govern the entertainment industry.

Which is it? Do you provide food and drink? If so, then you should be governed by the EEOC as to the guidelines protecting employees within that industry IMHO.

Or is the concept to provide entertainment for a predominately male customer demographic whereby it would be in the buisness' best interest to follow guidelines established for such a business whereby the commodity being sold is the attractiveness and sex appeal and interaction with a young lady? JMHO.

I have never had a problem with the Hooter's concept. In my 20's I was offered a job and turned it down because as a young single Mother I couldn't see putting that uniform on and letting my daughter watch me walk out the door. Also, you couldn't pay me enough money to fake interest in some man---but hey that's just me.

I do have issue with EEOC violations. Regardless of which gender it effects or what bias is used to filter through applicants : race, weight, appearance, creed....etc....

IMHO Hooter's and also Walmart though not similar do share some striking prejudices when handling their employee's. I have to admit though that I detest the fed. gvnmnt getting pulled into this with both of the above.

So to sum up...I really don't care one way or another about the particular waitress in the OP article. UNLESS she has a valid complaint of discrimination and can prove it to be valid. I think she might just have one.

All the above is JMHO.

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/Hooters-of-America-Inc-Company-History.html

lol @ the management they interviewed in the video. that one guy must have been over 300lbs! the all looked like creepy pervs. and they have the gall to pick on the waitresses. i hope the management hides in the back, or maybe they just like the whole ugly fat guys can come and see pretty waitresses ideal or something. i dunno. we don't have a hooters where i live. the whole idea is kinda weird.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back