GUILTY Spain - Rebecca, 5, & Daniel Smith, 11 mos, suffocated, Lloret de Mar, 17 May 2010

2goldfish

Reaction score
I havent seen anything on WS yet (seldom do on cases from the EU anyways), there were reports yesterday of the murders, the details werent released until today.

from link here

The British woman accused of killing her two small children in Spain has allegedly said she feared they would be taken from her after her partner was arrested on charges of child rape.

Martin Anthony Smith, 45, a TV psychic from North Shields, was seized in Barcelona on May 7. He was extradited to Britain yesterday and appeared at Carlisle Magistrates Court today to face 13 charges.

His wife, Lianne Smith, is being held in Spain today, accused of killing their two children - Rebecca, aged five, and Daniel, 11 months. Their bodies were found in a hotel room in Lloret de Mar near Barcelona yesterday afternoon.

Lianne and daughter Rebecca went missing on December 7, 2007. Smith is believed to have fled the country with them at the same time. He failed to answer bail on the charges on January 21, 2008.

I am absolutely fascinated and sick at her reasoning. they would certainly been taken away! she didnt seem to worried about their welfare as she knew he was a pedophile! I wonder what that little girl would have told!?

rest in peace, little ones.

Sweet heavens! "I was afraid they'd take them away, so I killed them." That makes perfect sense. Personally, I'd rather know my kids were somewhere alive and safe if I couldn't have them with me for some reason (heaven forbid), but maybe that's just me.

I am so sorry sweet babies. Hush now, all is well.

I don't get it. Why didn't she think "This has raped my babies, I'll kill him!"

Why did the female put her needs, to have a man in her life, before that of her children's safety, health, and well-being? I would wager that she knew he had done something to her children and she didn't want the kids telling the police.

I don't get it. Why didn't she think "This has raped my babies, I'll kill him!"

ITA!
If she didn't have the opportunity or guts to kill him, why not think hey I can't stand the thought of "watching" someone else raise my kids and off herself?

:twocents:

What gets me about these cases is this.... OK so a woman decides for whatever reason she needs a man more than her children. Ummm, how about a relative, foster care or adoption because once the children are dead, one or both adults are going to jail and certainly not together so really what does it accomplish???

What gets me about these cases is this.... OK so a woman decides for whatever reason she needs a man more than her children. Ummm, how about a relative, foster care or adoption because once the children are dead, one or both adults are going to jail and certainly not together so really what does it accomplish???

Maybe because of child support (they need/want the money), government assistance, because they know the man is more interested in the children than they are her, because they couldn't stand the thought of people thinking that they couldn't be a "mom". None of these are good reasons but unfortunately some women think that way.

This case gets wierder, she worked as head of Cumbria county council's department to protect vulnerable children and he was a tv psychic that had appeared on "Most haunted". Its also claimed that the poor children were suffocated by having plastic bags placed over their heads :(
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...lp-days-children-dead-Spanish-hotel-room.html

from article

On November 1 that year, Lianne received a call on her mobile from Martin, telling her that he had been arrested and was at a police station.

'The shock was immense,' she said. 'The allegations were shocking.

'Never once did I question Martin as to whether any of it was true or not. If I had had only one small doubt, I would have ended our relationship.'

'We started building a new life in Spain,' she said, pointing out that throughout the two and a half years they spent there, she paid taxes and took her daughter, who became a fluent Catalan speaker, to school.

Last year she gave birth to Daniel and, perhaps for a while, really did believe that the new life they had forged in Spain was real and lasting.

But back in the UK, Smith was a wanted man. When he failed to answer bail on January 21, 2008, he was placed on Operation Captura's 'most wanted' list.

Captura is a joint initiative between the Crimestoppers charity, the Serious Organised Crime Agency in the UK, the British Embassy in Madrid and Spanish police.

Their aim is to hunt down suspects of serious crime wanted in the UK who are thought to be living in Spain.

A couple of weeks ago, the Barcelona apartment Lianne shared with Smith and their children was burgled. She reported it to the police.

On May 8, Smith was arrested. She wondered if it was her fault.

'I think they might have put two and two together somehow.'

Over the next ten days, she struggled to keep things together. It was tough enough with two young children, she said, when there were two parents to care for them.

The final blow came when she heard that Smith was being extradited.

'I don't really know how I'll cope,' she said. 'Keeping my family together' was a phrase she used several times.

This is the paradox at the heart of this tragedy - that a woman apparently so devoted to her children could even think of harming them.

During the phone conversation, she spoke of how Becky was everything to her and her partner. She was the focus of their lives.

It is impossible, of course, to know what was going through her mind in the hours leading up to the deaths of her children in room 101 at the Hotel Miramar in Lloret.

According to the respected Spanish newspaper El Pais, she wrote a confession then calmly asked staff at the beachfront hotel to phone for the police and an ambulance at around 3pm on Monday.

When a receptionist asked why, she reportedly replied: 'You will see'.

how fabulous, they fled to spain and she RAN A DAYCARE. She never doubted he wasnt guilty of sexcrimes, nice. It would have RUINED THEIR RELATIONSHIP.

he gets caught and she KILLS HER KIDS.

what was really happening in spain then?

A mother suspected of killing her two young children in a Spanish hotel room allegedly left a suicide note saying 'I hope you can forgive me'.

from article

Mrs Smith is appearing in court in Spain this morning as a judge decides whether to bring a case against her.

She was taken to the courthouse in Blanes on the Costa Brava in a car with blackout windows. The hearing is being held behind closed doors.

from article

Suspected child killer Lianne Smith spent the night in the same bed as her dead children before attempting to commit suicide herself, it emerged today.

The 43-year-old is suspected of smothering her daughter Rebecca, five, and 11-month-old son Daniel with a plastic bag after her partner Martin Smith was extradited to Britain on child sex charges.

But after a failed attempt to kill herself using the same plastic bag the distraught mother spent hours lying beside the lifeless bodies she had tucked into a bed in Room 101 of the Hotel Miramar in the resort town of Lloret de Mar.

Gently holding her baby son, Lianne Smith is a picture of proud parenthood.

Hours later, the boy and his sister were dead and their mother had tried to kill herself.

The haunting photograph, apparently taken by Mrs Smith's five-year-old daughter Rebecca, was included in a package which was posted from Spain to England.

It arrived only yesterday and is revealed exclusively in the Daily Mail. The fugitive mother compiled an album of their 'wonderful holiday' together on the Costa Brava, then sent it off with a farewell letter before allegedly smothering Rebecca and 11-month-old Daniel with a plastic bag almost two weeks ago.

from article here

No family at funeral of children 'murdered by their mother' in Spanish hotel

from article

The children allegedly murdered by their mother in a Spanish holiday hotel were buried today in a tearful ceremony snubbed by their relatives.

Rebecca Smith, five, and brother Daniel, just 11 months, were remembered in the poignant funeral service held just a mile from the room in the Costa Brava resort of Lloret de Mar where expat mum Lianne is accused of smothering them to death with a plastic bag.

The tragic pair were buried in the same grave.

Around 40 mourners including the town mayor, police chiefs, and teachers and parents at the school Rebecca attended in Barcelona, gathered in a tiny chapel at the town cemetery to pay their last respects.

But neither the children's mum or their alleged paedophile dad Martin - both currently languishing in jail - were there.

And other UK-based relatives of the dead children including their grandparents, aunts and uncles, also failed to attend.

Local police chief Cesar Martinez, speaking moments before the start of a 20-minute remembrance service at the 19-century chapel, said: 'Unfortunately today there are no members of the two children's family.

'We made every effort possible to contact their relatives including grandparents, uncles and aunts but nobody has come.

'The children's mother had the right to come here today if she so wished.

'She's not yet been convicted of any offence and if she asked to come, the authorities would have brought her but that's clearly not the case.'

That just completely breaks my heart into a million pieces.

I just do not know what to say! Feelings range from heartbreak to anger! How dare this woman destroy the most precious gift this earth has to offer!

These poor babies, may they rest in peace.

It's always the same in these cases. After smothering, maiming, burning, drugging, or drowning their own innocent little children, the mothers invariably lament that they wanted to kill themselves but somehow just couldn't quite manage to do it. Well, I say we've been remiss in providing assistance to these women. Too seldom do we lend a hand and help them accomplish what they cannot do on their own. :furious:

And why no family at the funeral? Horrible!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back