681 users online (63 members and 618 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,545

    Are we focusing on the Grateful Dead Fan theory too much?

    What if Jason Doe wasn't a Grateful Dead Fan/Follower? Is that still our best lead? What other theories or leads do we have? Was he a runaway or was he close to home? If he was close to home, was he just out of school for the summer or had he graduated from high school and did he work somewhere nearby? What are your thoughts?

    ETA: I guess we could break these up into even smaller threads such as possible locations where Jason attended school, possible locations he may have worked, dentists in the area, etc.?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Penn's woods
    Posts
    17,195
    RK, I haven't had the time to read this subforum completely. I do apologize in advance for that and will find the time to read all the threads so far on here.

    Could it be that this young man was a ward of the state? Could that be why he hasn't been reported missing as of yet by any families? Just a thought to consider.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,545
    Kat, I do agree that there is a possibility that Jason may have been a ward of the state, at this point, nothing would surprise me. There has got to be some good reason why he hasn't been claimed yet. It is up to us to find out his identity. I believe we can do this....


    Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    RK, I haven't had the time to read this subforum completely. I do apologize in advance for that and will find the time to read all the threads so far on here.

    Could it be that this young man was a ward of the state? Could that be why he hasn't been reported missing as of yet by any families? Just a thought to consider.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    377
    I don't exactly know what you mean by follower. Do you mean that he traveled around going to GD shows? I would find it really really odd if JD didn't attend those GD shows. It would be really weird to have the ticket stubs and a tour shirt, and not be a true fan of Grateful Dead.

    Are there any pictures of his shoes at all? I'm wondering if they are new or slightly worn or REALLY worn. If the pictures that I've seen are in fact pictures of his jeans those did look a little worn. The shirt in the reconstruction looks relatively new as it didn't look faded and the color is very vibrant.

    I can't get over the fact that he hasn't been claimed yet because of the little details like his clothing and his teeth. I know that somewhere out there, someone has the rest of his belongings. I can't believe that he was traveling with nothing in his possession.

    Wasn't there a post somewhere about someone who said that they met someone at one of the shows who left tools in their car? I wonder how clean this JD was, like if he had dirt under his nails. Even though this may sound gory, I wonder how badly his face was messed up after the accident and how accurate the reconstruction really is.

    I also wonder if anyone has confirmed the Jason Kennedy that was in the yearbook picture. I mean really confirmed it and had photographic proof that the Jason in the yearbook picture is the same Jason Kennedy that was actually "confirmed".

    Sorry, it's 3am and I'm rambling

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    377
    Oh and another thing...

    Do go back to you asking if he was a follower....

    Could it be possible that Jason did indeed have belongings that he left with friend's and hitched a ride back to where he lived to get more cash/meet family with intentions of getting a ride back to go to the next show?

    I read that the next show was somewhere in the midwest (correct me if I'm wrong) Does anyone know where the show AFTER that show was?

    Maybe he made plans with the driver of the van to go to NC for a day or so, then get a ride back to the DC area..

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Southwestern Maine is home but I'm not there nearly often enough
    Posts
    1,739
    Quote Originally Posted by RKnowley View Post
    What if Jason Doe wasn't a Grateful Dead Fan/Follower? Is that still our best lead? What other theories or leads do we have? Was he a runaway or was he close to home? If he was close to home, was he just out of school for the summer or had he graduated from high school and did he work somewhere nearby? What are your thoughts?

    ETA: I guess we could break these up into even smaller threads such as possible locations where Jason attended school, possible locations he may have worked, dentists in the area, etc.?
    Good call. There's also the possibility that Jason wasn't reported missing simply because he was neither American nor Canadian. AFAIK those are the only two countries whose missing persons files have been thoroughly probed for a match.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    29,161
    We have submitted at least one AU case. The AU missing dept. doesn't give out any info once the submission is made though. I check up on it every now and then to see if the missing person from AU has been removed from the missing list. So far he hasn't, so I don't think it is a match.

    Salem

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    233
    To answer Missy's question, after the DC shows, The Grateful Dead played at The Palace, Auburn Hills, MI (June 27 and 28), then Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh, PA on June 30. July 2 was Deer Creek, Noblesville, IN, then July 5 at Riverport in Maryland Heights, MO. The Dead's final concerts were at Soldier Field, Chicago on July 8 and 9.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    184
    I thought Jerry Garcia had died and Grateful Dead was disbanded around this time? I must have had my facts wrong all along...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    31
    Jerry died on August 9th, 1995, which was about 5 weeks after this incident.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    East coast here and there
    Posts
    48
    Just to add my 2 cents here, others have indicated a "hardcore" head wouldn't be sporting a tour shirt from the current tour, that is true. There's a good chance these were some of the first Dead shows he'd been to. The picture of the guy in the drum circle really creeped me out. If there was not tatoo then I guess it is conclusive but it sure resembles the artist drawing.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    377
    He may not have been hardcore but I would think that he would have been some kind of fan. The shirt might not indicate he was a huge fan (I had a grateful dead shirt in highschool and I wasn't a huge fan like some people) but he had ticket stubs in his pocket. Typically you don't carry around ticket stubs if you haven't been to that concert.

    If it is the case that he is NOT a fan then why would he have tickets for 2 days? If he was borrowing clothes from someone else, then that means he would have probably known someone from that concert.
    What you're dealing with is a horrendous crime. Three young boys murdered in cold blood. Just that alone upsets people. You look at the bodies and there are these savage injuries all over. It affects people emotionally and warps their judgement and then someone says, "Maybe it's satanic."

    And they say, "Well the only type of person who would do this would be someone like that."

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Southwestern Maine is home but I'm not there nearly often enough
    Posts
    1,739
    Quote Originally Posted by missy_g View Post
    I don't exactly know what you mean by follower. Do you mean that he traveled around going to GD shows? I would find it really really odd if JD didn't attend those GD shows. It would be really weird to have the ticket stubs and a tour shirt, and not be a true fan of Grateful Dead.
    Indeed. I doubt anyone but a deadhead would wear such a tie-dyed t-shirt in the 1990's, attend the same show two nights in a row, and then hitch-hike long-distance, assuming he was hitch-hiking of course.

    So he hasn't been reported missing in neither the US or Canada? I'm sure it's been brought up before, but maybe the kid was a foreigner from outside these two countries. Not having money or a passport could simply indicate he had his possessions stolen or had lost them. I mean, the guy had literally nothing and even the most destitute of drifters usually carries a few essentials on the road.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    East coast here and there
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by missy_g View Post
    He may not have been hardcore but I would think that he would have been some kind of fan. The shirt might not indicate he was a huge fan (I had a grateful dead shirt in highschool and I wasn't a huge fan like some people) but he had ticket stubs in his pocket. Typically you don't carry around ticket stubs if you haven't been to that concert.

    If it is the case that he is NOT a fan then why would he have tickets for 2 days? If he was borrowing clothes from someone else, then that means he would have probably known someone from that concert.
    Not saying he wasn't a 'fan' or getting into the Dead, but the point others are trying to explain is that there is a travelling subculture that followed the Dead from show to show and these folks tend (tended) to know one another at least by nicknames and faces. Based on his attire and looks it doesn't appear we was a part of that scene. It is not uncommon to catch the whole run of shows at any given venue for bands like the Dead even if you are a casual fan.

    My first Dead show was a few days after these shows, at the time I would probably be in the same "grouping" as our Grateful Doe, probably the same age too. That's why this haunts me, I've been able to grow into full appreciation of the band, travel the country chasing great music, getting a good job, having a great family, even a picket fence. This poor guy doesn't even have family looking for him or willing to claim him and give him a proper burial.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by RKnowley View Post
    Kat, I do agree that there is a possibility that Jason may have been a ward of the state, at this point, nothing would surprise me. There has got to be some good reason why he hasn't been claimed yet. It is up to us to find out his identity. I believe we can do this....
    BBM. I seem to recall somewhere in this thread that investigators mentioned that they had recieved a phone call asking very *specific* questions about Jason. The investigator believed that in all likelihood this was a family member.

    Mel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Grateful Dead Fan - Media Links Only *NO DISCUSSION*
    By christine2448 in forum Grateful Dead Fan
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-13-2015, 04:17 PM
  2. VA - Grateful Dead Fan - Social Media Push
    By greymetal in forum Grateful Dead Fan
    Replies: 753
    Last Post: 08-31-2015, 01:37 PM
  3. Another Grateful Dead follower from 1995 indentified
    By los2188 in forum Grateful Dead Fan
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-21-2015, 01:18 PM
  4. Bizarre Piece Of Grateful Dead Memorabilia Stolen
    By LinasK in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-03-2006, 04:42 AM