Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: MI - Venus Rose Stewart, 32, Colon, Abducted 28 April 2010 - #6

Quote Originally Posted by pufnstuf View Post
    According to Doug's own filings for custody, he did not speak to the children after April 23. No one stopped him from speaking to them...that's just the date he gave as the last time he talked to them before Venus went missing.

He also claims that after April 27, Venus' family quit letting him talk to the children.
    He didn't speak to the 5 yr old after April 23. It didn't specify the 3 yr old, so it looks like he did speak with her. And you're right - it doesn't say anyone denied him speaking with the 5yo after April 23. Just says that was his last date of contact with her.

In court records, Doug alleges that Venus' family has denied him a judge ordered daily phone call with their children since April 27, the day after Venus disappeared.

Doug says his last contact with his five-year-old daughter was even earlier on April 23rd.

http://www.wwmt.com/articles/margin-...estranged.html

In general, I don't see a problem with the kids talking on the phone with him, provided there's coordination - perhaps through a children's counselor - on what they've been told about Venus and what should and shouldn't be said to them, and how to respond to any questions they may ask him about where Venus is.

The NG transcripts have either L or T saying the 5yo accidentally saw a news piece about Venus showing or saying Venus was with Doug and that she got scared about it.

Actually, writing this, I'm thinking supervised visits at CPS as he requests may even be better than the phone. There's no control over what's said on the phone, but I think a parent would be more careful over what they say in front of a CPS worker.

On the other hand, there are so many children of parents with conflicts of all kinds who don't watch what they say in earshot of the kids, so many parents who deliberately say negatively or potentially emotionally harmful things in earshot of their kids. I'd like all of them to exercise more control over their tongues lol.

My biggest concern about the children is Doug harming the children. I've read too many stories in recent months about a parent killing a child specifically to 'get back at' the other parent. This is a case where we can see signs of this risk, and I hope that the court will take measure to protect these little girls from harm.

ETA: I should have read ahead Someone else already pointed out the 5yo/April 23 thing. Sorry.
    Last edited by BeanE; 05-24-2010 at 07:53 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanE For This Useful Post:

believe09 is offline For nothing is secret that will not be revealed
    just to close the loop on the O/T discussion of the Beresford-Redmond case that has a similar custodial issue:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100524/...roducer_s_wife

The Attorney General in Cancun has been unable to locate the producer to question him regarding his wife's death. Beresford-Redmond is back in LA to attempt to regain his children, but the AG says the evidence is being turned over to a judge if the go ahead is given, the suspect will be located and arrested and extradited...
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:

http://www.dailypress.com/news/crime...,5491339.story

Dont know if this was added or not, but it's an article from my local paper.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cmlegend99 For This Useful Post:

According to Doug's own filings for custody, he did not speak to the children after April 23. No one stopped him from speaking to them...that's just the date he gave as the last time he talked to them before Venus went missing.

He also claims that after April 27, Venus' family quit letting him talk to the children.
    That's pretty significant, if you ask me.

April 23, 2010: Doug speaks to his children

April 24, 2010: Doug doesn't speak to children. (Does Doug become enraged because his phone call goes unanswered; When the old caller ID "don't answer the phone, it's HIM" trick is implemented?)

April 25, 2010: Doug doesn't speak to children; gloves, tarp, hat and shovel purchased at Walmart

April 26, 2010: Doug doesn't speak to children; Venus disappears

WHY DIDN'T DOUG CALL HIS GIRLS on April 26, 2010, the day Venus disappeared? Or did he call and his phone calls were screened using caller ID?
    Last edited by PickieChickie; 05-24-2010 at 10:05 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PickieChickie For This Useful Post:

April 19 - Venus is granted full legal and physical custody. Doug is granted only phone calls.

April 19 - 23 - Doug talks to both children.

April 24 - Doug talks only to 3yo daughter. Why didn't he speak w/5yo?

April 25 - Doug talks only to 3yo daughter. Why didn't he speak w/5yo? Gloves, tarp, hat, shovel purchased.

April 26 - Venus abducted & disappears. Doug doesn't call to speak to either child - why not? Doug subsequently refuses to tell grandparents if he worked this day.

April 27 - Doug calls to speak to children (Grandparents refuse because Venus has been abducted & they think Doug did it.).

Date? - Doug files for phone calls, joint legal custody & physical custody.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanE For This Useful Post:

kai

Quote Originally Posted by PickieChickie View Post
    That's pretty significant, if you ask me.

April 23, 2010: Doug speaks to his children

April 24, 2010: Doug doesn't speak to children. (Does Doug become enraged because his phone call goes unanswered; When the old caller ID "don't answer the phone, it's HIM" trick is implemented?)

April 25, 2010: Doug doesn't speak to children; gloves, tarp, hat and shovel purchased at Walmart

April 26, 2010: Doug doesn't speak to children; Venus disappears

WHY DIDN'T DOUG CALL HIS GIRLS on April 26, 2010, the day Venus disappeared? Or did he call and his phone calls were screened using caller ID?
    The April 24 & 25 dates. Doug does talk to the 3 year old.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RubyRed For This Useful Post:

Just for the record, I just called the PO in Colon, MI. I spoke to a delightful woman, Lxxxxx, who told me that the mail is delivered later in the afternoon on Driftwood Drive.
    http://michigan.hometownlocator.com/...556,cf,149.cfm

14. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to spamelope For This Useful Post:

wow spame, great sleuthing!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beyond Belief For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond Belief View Post
    wow spame, great sleuthing!
    lol Thank you, Beyond Belief. I felt pretty self conscious at first but the lady was really the sweetest person ever, and we ended up discussing the weather,(BLIZZARD HERE IN WY!!) and gardening. LOL
    So at first the story was that V was mailing a letter, and now it is that she was checking the mail. I think most people probably check the mail the day it is delivered, especially if they're expecting something important enough.
    http://www.examiner.com/x-1168-Crime...ed-to-Michigan
    Last edited by spamelope; 05-24-2010 at 01:49 PM. Reason: adding link

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spamelope For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by spamelope View Post
    lol Thank you, Beyond Belief. I felt pretty self conscious at first but the lady was really the sweetest person ever, and we ended up discussing the weather,(BLIZZARD HERE IN WY!!) and gardening. LOL
    So at first the story was that V was mailing a letter, and now it is that she was checking the mail. I think most people probably check the mail the day it is delivered, especially if they're expecting something important enough.
    http://www.examiner.com/x-1168-Crime...ed-to-Michigan
    I agree that most people likely check their mail the day of delivery. It was a reporter who used the word 'retrieving' the mail in that one article. I haven't seen that anywhere else, have you?

ETA: Well how odd. Here's an article from way back on May 6 with another reporter saying she was 'getting' the mail at 7:30am.:
    http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local...s-Stewart-case

This is the article I was referring to above where the reporter says 'went to retrieve'. Article is May 20:
    http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/...s_stewart.html
    Last edited by BeanE; 05-24-2010 at 02:02 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanE For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by spamelope View Post
    Just for the record, I just called the PO in Colon, MI. I spoke to a delightful woman, Lxxxxx, who told me that the mail is delivered later in the afternoon on Driftwood Drive.
    http://michigan.hometownlocator.com/...556,cf,149.cfm
    The next question would be:

Is Venus allowed to smoke in the house? If not, does the abductor wait, knowing full well she will come outside to smoke?

Or, was the abductor promised by the five-year-old that mommy would mail him a picture she drew or letter she wrote that morning?

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PickieChickie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BeanE View Post
    I agree that most people likely check their mail the day of delivery. It was a reporter who used the word 'retrieving' the mail in that one article. I haven't seen that anywhere else, have you?

ETA: Well how odd. Here's an article from way back on May 6 with another reporter saying she was 'getting' the mail at 7:30am.:
    http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local...s-Stewart-case

This is the article I was referring to above where the reporter says 'went to retrieve'. Article is May 20:
    http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/...s_stewart.html
    Because these reporters aren't paying as close attention as we are due to having so many articles to write, apparently they didn't pay close enough attention when Venus's father stated he believed Venus went to mail a letter.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PickieChickie For This Useful Post:

I frequently retrieve my mail the next day on the way back from the bus stop. Just sayin.

i am holding onto her texting or speaking to someone on her cell phone hence the LE description of 7:10AM etc....
    email me

Bob Harrod SAR

― Maya Angelou

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:

Is the 5 year old in kindergarten? I wonder if, since DS didn't speak with her on April 24 or 25, if he indeed is the abductor, if he was waiting for her to come out, or her and Venus to come out, to go to school.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanE For This Useful Post:

Is the 5 year old in kindergarten? I wonder if, since DS didn't speak with her on April 24 or 25, if he indeed is the abductor, if he was waiting for her to come out, or her and Venus to come out, to go to school.
    Someone should be able to verify whether or not she is in school. I am leaning to not...only because we are not seeing the expected anecdotal interviews from other mothers she would have come in contact with yada yada...
    email me

Bob Harrod SAR

― Maya Angelou

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:

Maybe a local can quickly call the school district transportation department to learn what time a kindergartner would be picked up on that street.

In California, an adult has to wait at the bus stop with the child and has to be present when the child is dropped off or the bus driver is not allowed to drop off the child.

If the school bus does have a route near Venus's house, where would the bus stop be and is a parent required to be present when the child is waiting for the bus?

32. The Following User Says Thank You to PickieChickie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PickieChickie View Post
    Maybe a local can quickly call the school district transportation department to learn what time a kindergartner would be picked up on that street.
    I hope the school district doesn't share that info over the phone with just anyone.

34. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to thesaint For This Useful Post:

did doug have supervised visits ?

I know with my years of foster parenting, phone calls had to be supervised and visits
    My friend that has custody of her great grandkids, the papers state supervised phone calls supervised visits,

I either had to put it on speaker phone or listen on the extension. and end the call if it got inappropriate

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RJA00 For This Useful Post:

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RubyRed For This Useful Post:

Missing woman Venus Stewart's estranged husband seeks custody of daughters
    By Kathy Jessup | Kalamazoo Gazette
    May 24, 2010, 10:32PM
    CENTREVILLE — The St. Joseph County Department of Human Services has initiated action to take control of custody of the two young daughters of Venus Stewart, the Colon woman who has been missing since April 26.
    venus stewart and husband Douglas stewart comboCourtesy photosVenus Stewart and estranged husband Douglas Stewart

Larry McComb, Stewart’s father, said Monday that he expects the court will appoint he and his wife, Therese, to continue caring for the girls, ages 5 and 3.

But McComb said they won’t return to the couple’s rural Colon Township home until after high fencing, security cameras and guard dogs are in place.

In addition, McComb said the couple also plans to secure permits to carry concealed weapons, all in response to what McComb said are their fears that Stewart’s estranged husband, Douglas Stewart, could attempt to take the girls.

Douglas Stewart has been named by law enforcement authorities as the “only person of interest” in the disappearance of Venus Stewart.

He has not been arrested or charged or charged with a crime. Douglas Stewart declined to comment when contacted Monday.

Terry Evans, St. Joseph County Juvenile Court director, said a hearing has been scheduled for Friday on a child neglect petition filed by St. Joseph County Child Protective Services.
    SBM
    http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/...tewarts_e.html

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spamelope For This Useful Post:

St. Joseph County Prosecutor John McDonough said he will represent DHS Child Protective Services at the hearing on Friday.

McDonough said Monday that he will recommend Douglas Stewart not be granted custody of the two girls “for pretty obvious reasons.”

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/...tewarts_e.html

42. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RubyRed For This Useful Post:

Larry McComb, Stewart’s father, said Monday that he expects the court will appoint he and his wife, Therese, to continue caring for the girls, ages 5 and 3.

But McComb said they won’t return to the couple’s rural Colon Township home until after high fencing, security cameras and guard dogs are in place.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to RubyRed For This Useful Post:

pufnstuf is offline "Yes, she's emotionally disturbed. She's unbalanced!"
    April 19 - Venus is granted full legal and physical custody. Doug is granted only phone calls.

April 25 - Doug talks only to 3yo daughter. Why didn't he speak w/5yo?
    Gloves, tarp, hat, shovel purchased.

April 26 - Venus abducted & disappears. Doug doesn't call to speak to either child - why not? Doug subsequently refuses to tell grandparents if he worked this day.

April 27 - Doug calls to speak to children (Grandparents refuse because Venus has been abducted & they think Doug did it.).

I don't think that we know that he spoke with R on those dates bolded above. That isn't stated in the papers.

There's just no way to know when he last spoke to R. We do know, though, that the last date he spoke to B was on the 23.

It's possible that he didn't speak to the three-year-old on every call. Just no way to know. We haven't seen, in total, the papers filed by him.

46. The Following User Says Thank You to pufnstuf For This Useful Post:

pufnstuf is offline "Yes, she's emotionally disturbed. She's unbalanced!"
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyRed View Post
    The April 24 & 25 dates. Doug does talk to the 3 year old.
    I've seen nothing stating such. Just that the last time that he talked to the five-year-old was the 23rd.

48. The Following User Says Thank You to pufnstuf For This Useful Post:

I've seen nothing stating such. Just that the last time that he talked to the five-year-old was the 23rd.

April 25 - Doug talks only to 3yo daughter. Why didn't he speak w/5yo? Gloves, tarp, hat, shovel purchased.

This will have to do for now.

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast