NY NY - Hatice Corbacioglu, 33, 28 July 2009

BeanE

Inactive
Reaction score
Website
casesignal.wordpress.com
Bizarre Murdered Wife-Missing Fiancée Case Widens
Nassau Police On The Hunt For Riza Cosa, A Man Who Pretended Be One Thing And Is Apparently Something Else

May 19, 2010 10:02 pm US/Eastern

On Wednesday night police in Canada, the U.S. and Turkey are looking for a Long Island man in connection with the death of his wife and the baffling disappearance of a mistress.

snip

The picture circulating is of a wanted man -- a 29-year-old Long Island steel worker on the lam and wanted for questioning not only in connection with the murder of his wife, but also the disappearance of a girlfriend who didn't know the wife existed.

snip

Hatice Corbacioglu drove to New York from her family's home in Toronto last year to be with the man she loved -- a fellow Turkish immigrant named Riza Cosa. She intended to marry him, but Cosa wasn't what he appeared to be. She became a missing person just about the time he left the U.S. for his native turkey and Cosa's wife -- Angela Perez -- suddenly vanished as well.

Last week, Perez's body was found in a lot in Westbury and that now has police wondering if Corbacioglu may have been killed as well.

snip

So he had a wife in a house in Hicksville and a fiancée in Toronto and at this point it's believed that the unraveling of Cosa's double life is what led to the unthinkable tragedy that followed. Neighbors described the couple as quiet. Of the two they said she was friendlier.

"He was kind of strange, very quiet. She was a very, very, very nice person," Mark Eleowitz said.

"They seemed like they were happily married," Harry Artoglou added.

It was an illusion and now the wife is dead and the woman who hoped to marry Cosa is missing.

Hatice Corbacioglu was last seen at the Turkish consulate across from the United Nations shortly after she came to New York last June. Police in two countries are asking for help finding out what happened to her.

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/missing.fiancee.missing.2.1704019.html

HaticeCorbacioglu33MISSING_Lastseen.jpg

NEW YORK (WPIX) - Nassau County police have a new mystery on their hands, in the case of a husband who flew to Turkey last July, after his estranged wife was reported missing.

It turns out 29-year old, Riza Cosa, had a girlfriend from Canada who also disappeared last summer.

The body of Cosa's wife was discovered last week in New Cassel, wedged between a metal container and a fence, behind the steel business where Cosa used to work. Winsome Angela Perez was 45 years old. She died from blunt force trauma. She was last seen alive on July 28, 2009, when she left work as a personal banker at the Chase branch on Wantagh Avenue in Nassau County. Perez' co-workers reported her missing. On July 31, 2009, Riza Cosa took a one-way trip to his native Turkey.

Now police in Toronto, Canada confirm they've been searching for Cosa's girlfriend, 33 year old Hatice Corbacioglu, since last August....More at:
http://www.wpix.com/news/wpix-missing-woman-jfk,0,3628670.story

Thank you for starting this thread Lavanda. Has it has been confirmed that Hatice did not accompany Riza on his trip to Turkey? I'm assuming it has, and it was likely Riza drove her car to the airport to make it appear she went with him.

This doesn't sound good. Hoping for more exposure for Hatices' case and anyone with info to contact LE.

Why does the title of the article state Hatice was last seen at the airport, when the body of the article states she was last seen at work?

There has been a huge decline in the quality of reporting we have seen in the last several months. What ever happened to verifying the facts first?

I sent an email to Mary Murphy who wrote the above article asking about the contradicting information regarding where Hatice was last seen. Whether it has been confirmed Hatice was in fact seen at the airport, or if that is just where her car was found, and the last confirmed sighting was at work by her coworkers.

Hopefully she will update the article with the accurate information.

Why does the title of the article state Hatice was last seen at the airport, when the body of the article states she was last seen at work?

There has been a huge decline in the quality of reporting we have seen in the last several months. What ever happened to verifying the facts first?

Perez (45) wife - last seen @ her job @ Chase bank?

Hatice (33) gf - last seen @ the airport?

I read it as saying the wife was last seen at work and Hatice's car was last seen at the airport. The upper portion of the flyer in the dark type says she did not board any flights.

I SO agree about the quality of reporting. I almost called my local FOX news the other day on their incompetency of Rachael Anderson.

Thanks, I missed that about the last place seen being for two different missing women.

However, the post from BeanE has a news article with yet another place Hatice was last seen.

I wish we knew were LE states they have verified she was last seen.

Some additional info for the timeline on Halice's disappearance.

Corbacioglu drove to the United States on June 15, 2009. Her car was found in the Kennedy Airport parking lot last November. Police believe it had been sitting there for a long time.

At no time has Hatice returned to Canada, contacted her family or entered Turkey. There has not been any activity on her cell phone, bank records or Facebook account since she went missing. She would now be 33-years-old.

full article at link:

http://www.1010wins.com/Family-Fears-the-Worst/7074519

Then on June 21, Corbacioglu vanished. A flight to Turkey was purchased under her name, but her family has been told she never boarded the plane.
Her car was found abandoned at the John F. Kennedy airport. She stopped answering her cellphone.
“She travelled to the States numerous times before and every time she had daily contact with her family and friends, and this time when she crossed the border she never talked to them again. It’s absolutely out of the ordinary,” said Toronto Det. Stacey Davis.
Since her disappearance, her bank account has gone untouched.
After Corbacioglu went missing, her family spoke with Cosa several times. But his story was always changing, her sister said. One week, he’d tell them Corbacioglu was visiting his family in Turkey. Another week, she was off in southern Arabia.
Whatever the case, she was never able to talk.
“He was always just leading us on,” said Corbacioglu’s cousin

full article at link:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/811900--family-hopes-for-leads-on-missing-woman

Cosa, as a refugee, wasn’t able to leave the country. But he told Hatice he would buy her a plane ticket to Turkey to meet his parents, Oksem said. If all went well, they would marry upon her return.

“She never did make it to Turkey and we haven’t seen her since she left,” Aysel said.

<snip>

Her family spoke to Cosa in June and July, but they allege he made excuses regarding her whereabouts.

The family reported Hatice missing to Toronto Police in August. That&#8217;s when they learned Cosa was married and that his wife, Winsome Angela Perez, 45, was reported missing on July 28.
&#8220;We were all just shocked,&#8221; Aysel said.
She said Cosa &#8220;vanished&#8221; on July 31. It&#8217;s believed he hopped a flight to Turkey.
&#8220;It appears he drove the girlfriend&#8217;s car to the airport,&#8221; Toronto Police Const. Tony Vella said.
Hatice&#8217;s Toyota was found parked at John F Kennedy International in November. The woman&#8217;s clothes were still in the trunk, her family said.

full article at link:

http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2010/05/19/14013791.html

So - according to the first article, Coza left the country even though he wasn't supposed to.

What reason would he have to murder both women? UNLESS there were more than the three involved in a love triangle? Perhaps he had other women in addition to his wife and Halice? Or, Halice found out about his wife and that she was missing? Didn't believe his story and threatened to go to police?

Very scary. It doesn't sound like this will end well. I do pray Halice is found. Hopefully safely, but found.

Thank you Lavanda. I was just coming here to post this......

From the above link:

Nassau County authorities are in an effort with Canada to try and verify Turkish media reports that say Riza Cosa jumped off a ten story apartment building in Turkey, his native country.

I wonder when he supposedly jumped. I imagine this isn't an everyday occurance so am wondering if he had no id on him or the incident itself is not verified.

Either way, I too hope he left some evidence regarding Hatice's location. What a sad sad story.

Prayers for Hatice's family.

I am confused. Happens alot.

When Hatice would travel to NY to see Cosa did she ever see a wife?
Did Hatice have a job in Canada?

Who said Cosa was a refugee and couldn't leave the country, because that is what he did. He went to Turkey.

Hatice was last heard from in June, reported missing in August. Cosa parked her car at the airport on July 31 when he flew to Turkey. Could a car sit at that aiport from July to November without being noticed/towed?

May 21, 2010 8:00 am US/Eastern
L.I. Murder Suspect May Have Killed Self
Riza Cosa, Center Of International Manhunt, May Have Killed Himself
His Wife Is Dead, Mistress Still Missing

Nassau County authorities are in an effort with Canada to try and verify Turkish media reports that say Riza Cosa jumped off a ten story apartment building in Turkey, his native country.

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/missing.fiancee.missing.2.1707437.html

I am confused. Happens alot.

When Hatice would travel to NY to see Cosa did she ever see a wife?
Did Hatice have a job in Canada?

Who said Cosa was a refugee and couldn't leave the country, because that is what he did. He went to Turkey.

Hatice was last heard from in June, reported missing in August. Cosa parked her car at the airport on July 31 when he flew to Turkey. Could a car sit at that aiport from July to November without being noticed/towed?

If it's in long term parking, possibly. However, I know the rate for that is something like $18/day @ JFK, short term lots are over $30/day and they do ask you when you plan to return for your vehicle. I'm not really sure how you arrange it though... Or what the consequences are if you leave it longer than expected, or don't pay at all. (or even if you can access the lot without paying)

I saw it on Disappeared last night too. It actually was my first time even hearing about Hatice. Honestly, I think it is kind of obvious what happened to her (as sad as it is). I wonder if the family ever did get confirmation of Reza's body. If I recall correctly, the family did not quite believe it was him who committed suicide. I hope they do get the closure they need.

Sad case, I wish there was some sort of closure for the family.

I agree! Her dad seemed so heartbroken when he spoke about her, especially at the end . . . it nearly brought tears to my eyes. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back