Missing since September 27, 1975 from Greensburg, Westmoreland County, PA

Vital Statistics

Date of Birth: January 15, 1962
Age at Time of Disappearance: 13
Height: 5'3"
Weight: 120 lbs
Eye Color: Hazel
Hair Color: Brown
Distinguishing Characteristics: Scar from a dog bite on her upper lip, believed to be on the left side.
Clothing: A red and white jacket, red slacks
Nickname: Teri

Case Details

On Saturday, September 27, 1975, at around 11 a.m., Teri Rhodes, of South Greensburg, Pennsylvania left her home to go to a girlfriend's house.

At 13, Teri was not yet allowed to date. She never missed dinner time and always, when she left the house, would tell where she was going.

It was later discovered, however, that going to a friend's house, or shopping at the mall, may have been cover stories for a lifestyle she'd been introduced to, one that included a former South Greensburg police officer later convicted for a contract murder, a friend of the cop who was allegedly into the drug world and who had a fondness for young girls, and a so-called 'party house' on Bell Way in Greensburg.

Teri's disappearance was initially viewed as that of a runaway and was treated as such, despite the fact that when she left her home that afternoon, she didn't take her purse or pack a bag and none of her clothes were missing. Yet there were no press releases, no media coverage and the original police report only contains a description of Teri and the words "possible runaway".

It was years after Teri disappeared that her friend admitted that the two girls had been at the Bell Way house on that Saturday. The friend last saw Teri at about 6pm as she (the friend) was leaving the party with a man. The friend made it home that night. Teri didn't.

In 1987, a relative of Teri's family contacted a local psychic. Information the psychic gave led to a search of Schenley Park in Pittsburgh, and another search in 1989 at St Clair Park in Greensburg. No trace of Teri was found.

Another lead came from an incarcerated confidential informant to the state police. Teri's body was allegedly buried in an area of Keystone State Park locally referred to as "Transylvania", an area known in the '60s and '70s as a lover's lane and keg party site. But again, Teri's remains weren't found.

Over the years, tips have trickled in, but the questions to what happened to Teri Rhodes on that Saturday in 1975 have not been answered and she remains missing.

If you have any information about this case, please contact:

Westmoreland County Detective Bureau

724-830-3286

Sources

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Pittsburgh Press
FacebookPennsylvania Missing Persons

LINK:

http://www.pamissing.com/rhodesteresalynn.html

I live near Greensburg and never heard of this case until Theresa case was put on the Doe Network I believe last month.

I would love to find more information on this case. My friend's stepdad is a retired Greensburg Police Officer. I am going to find out if her remembers Theresa's disapperance. Greensburg is not a big City, and we do not hear o alot of crime.

Bump

This month will mark 35 years that Theresa has been misisng. Come home soon sweetie, prayers for your family.

Bumping case up. Could this be related to the disappearances of other girls in Pennsylvania and adjacent states in 1975?

15368_100796679945165_4139720_n.jpg

A photo of Teresa in 1967 (age 5) is posted on the family's tribute facebook page for Teresa.

http://www.facebook.com/teresalynn.rhodes#!/teresalynn.rhodes

Can anyone help me out by googling "teresa rhodes mugshot" and look for the image that comes up with the dark reddish long hair and see if you think it could be her? It looks like she was arrested recently (2012) in the same county that the MP disappeared from. To me, the chin, forehead, nose, and eyes all look similar although the face as a whole doesn't really look like her. I'm not very good at facial recognition so I would like another opinion based on her features, and if she appears to be the right age.

I would post the link, but I'm not familiar with the site and don't post links that I don't trust. It's easier to just view the image on Google search.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Can anyone help me out by googling "teresa rhodes mugshot" and look for the image that comes up with the dark reddish long hair and see if you think it could be her? It looks like she was arrested recently (2012) in the same county that the MP disappeared from. To me, the chin, forehead, nose, and eyes all look similar although the face as a whole doesn't really look like her. I'm not very good at facial recognition so I would like another opinion based on her features, and if she appears to be the right age.

I would post the link, but I'm not familiar with the site and don't post links that I don't trust. It's easier to just view the image on Google search.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Is this is the mugshot you are referring to? If so, DOB way off.

http://arre.st/Jails/Pennsylvania/Westmoreland/Teresa+Rhodes/111275296/mugshot.html

That was scary looking at all those mugshots on Google images LOL!

Teresa Lynn Rhodes
Missing since September 27, 1975 from Greensburg, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
  • Date Of Birth: January 15, 1962
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 13 years old
  • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'3"; 120 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair, long-below shoulders; hazel eyes. Dimple on left cheek.
  • Marks, Scars: Scar from a dog bite on her upper lip, believed to be on the left side.
  • Clothing: A red and white jacket and red slacks.
  • Nickname/AKA: Teri
  • Dentals: Available
  • DNA: Available
Circumstances of Disappearance

On Saturday, September 27, 1975, at around 11 a.m., Teri Rhodes, of South Greensburg, left her home to go to a girlfriend's house. At 13, Teri was not yet allowed to date. She never missed dinner time and always, when she left the house, would tell where she was going.

Teri's disappearance was initially viewed as that of a runaway and was treated as such, despite the fact that when she left her home that afternoon, she didn't take her purse or pack a bag and none of her clothes were missing.

Years after Teri disappeared her friend admitted that the two girls had been at a party at a Bell Way house on that Saturday. The friend last saw Teri at about 18.00 as the friend was leaving the party.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Westmoreland County Detective Bureau
724-830-3286

Could Teresa's disappearance be related to any of these similar cases?

-----------------

Sheila Mary Lyon
Missing since March 25, 1975 from Wheaton, Montgomery County, Maryland
The Doe Network: Case File 64DFMD
LINK:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/64dfmd.html

------------------

Katherine Mary Lyon
Missing since March 25, 1975 from Wheaton, Montgomery County, Maryland
The Doe Network: Case File 65DFMD
LINK:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/65dfmd.html

----------------

Wendy Eaton
Missing since May 17, 1975 from Media, Delaware County, Pennsylvania.
Classification: Non Family Abduction
The Doe Network: Case File 90DFPA
LINK:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/90dfpa.html

-------------

Edna Christine Thorne
Missing since June 24, 1975 from Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania.
Classification: Non-Family Abduction
The Doe Network: Case File 74DFPA
LINK:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/74dfpa.html

--------------

Tracy Anne King
Missing since July 8, 1975 from Littlestown, Adams County, Pennsylvania.
Classification: Non Family Abduction
The Doe Network: Case File 342DFPA
LINK:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/342dfpa.html

---------------------

Lori Jean Lloyd
Missing since February 11, 1976 from Kettering, Montgomery County, Ohio
Classification: Lost, Injured, Missing
The Doe Network: Case File 2116DFOH
LINK:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2116dfoh.html

It seems to me that Teresa was more likely murdered by someone that she ran around with since it was said she was leading a risky lifestyle according to her friends. Thirteen years old is so young and so scary... They are still babies.. I still can't believe never heard of this case since I live so close to Greensburg.

Young teenagers might not consider their behavior to be "risky" - even when told that it is risky by adults.

Going into dangerous places or going out late at night could lead to injury at the hands of a friend or relative, but it does not preclude abduction or injury by a child molester/killer.

Such a criminal is probably always "hunting" for victims and considers only the potential risk to himself, not to his victims. He does not think; "This is an easy abduction because the police will blame others (due to risky behavior on the part of the victim)." More likely he would think; "Can I get away with it here and now?"

This one haunts me growing up not too terribly far away, although I was born years after her disappearance.

I doubt that we'll ever know more. A few years ago I searched around and found the cop that they thought might be involved...and an obituary for him. I don't recall the name nor how I found it, but he probably took the answers with him to death.

I get a creepy feeling if I'm by the Greensburg courthouse since Bell Way runs behind it. I wonder if the "party house" is still there and if she ever even made it out. If her friend selfishly didn't come forward with the truth until years later, who knows how long Teri was in the house.

The Facebook for the case has seemingly been taken down. Another strange thing in a case full of them.

Why did it take her friend so long to come forward? Does she still live in the area?

I don't understand-where is her family in all this? Are they trying to get justice?

I don't understand-where is her family in all this? Are they trying to get justice?

Her mother and father are both dead. The mother died in 2011 (see http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/surnames.salvatore/85/mb.ashx) and her father must have died some time ago as her mother was widowed and remarried. There are (or were in 2011) four siblings living. The siblings are still looking for her, as evidenced by http://triblive.com/news/westmoreland/9475418-74/rhodes-teri-greensburg from 2015. This story also names both the friend who was with her the night she disappeared and the local police officer referred to in an earlier post and who was a suspect in the case. Interestingly the piece quotes a former police officer who worked the case as saying that, in addition to the suspect, there were two others involved, one of whom is still alive - so a man who is probably best placed to know what happened (having had access to all the police leads and materials) seems definite about the identities of those involved, and that it was not just the officer suspect.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back