OH OH - South Euclid, WhtMale 20-30, 484UMOH, 'Don Bosco Tech' TShirt, May'81

frankr

Reaction score
I found this originally on the Porchlight page while searching for something else.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/484umoh.html

Unidentified White Male

The victim was discovered on May 8, 1981 in Euclid Creek Reservation, Euclid, Cuyahoga County, Ohio. Cause of Death: Chest injuries resulting from fall.

Estimated age: 20 - 30 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'7"; 146 lbs.

He was with 3 other people when he fell, he told them that his name was "Joe" and he had spent time in New York and LA.

LA really stands out because he was wearing a "Don Bosco Tech PE" shirt. Don Bosco Tech is just outside LA. I emailed their alumni office tonight with some questions, mainly whether they could tell if that shirt was possibly something that people wore there. Based on his estimated age, I really need to see the Don Bosco Tech yearbooks from say 1971 to 1980. I wonder how I could do that? There is a Facebook alumni group, but I don't want to pester them, yet.

Porchlight has a post-mortem pic, so making the match should be possible from a yearbook. I will link to it if anyone wants, but it's graphic.

I think we have a GREAT chance of solving this one!

https://identifyus.org/cases/7980

Thinking more about the yearbook, does anyone here live near LA? It's possible you might be able to go to the school and take a look at their old yearbooks!

Thinking more about the yearbook, does anyone here live near LA? It's possible you might be able to go to the school and take a look at their old yearbooks!

I live about 30 miles from there. Usually the school libraries have old yearbooks, but being that it is a high school, they might not let a 40-something male stranger hang out in the school library.

Another option is to inquire if the area libraries have a local history room. Ours does, and they have a complete collection of high school yearbooks and a lot of church directories with photos of parishioners. Historical societies may have these too.

Carl, would you mind calling the Rosemead library and seeing if they have old yearbooks there? I'm at work and cannot call. They open at 12.

626-573-5220

I can do that. My schedule is clear today, so I might just go for a drive out there.

Carl, sorry for so many follow-ups, but in those old b&w pics the guys in suits may all look the same. A good first pass, assuming you see some yearbooks is to look for Joe or Joseph I think. Then again you've been doing this longer than me, but I wish I could be there!

Carl, sorry for so many follow-ups, but in those old b&w pics the guys in suits may all look the same. A good first pass, assuming you see some yearbooks is to look for Joe or Joseph I think. Then again you've been doing this longer than me, but I wish I could be there!

I just called Bosco Tech, and asked what the procedure would be for coming on campus and reviewing yearbooks in their library. They said that I need to set up an appointment with the Librarian, and obtain a visitor pass in the admin office.

I spoke with the Librarian and made that appointment for 2:30. He says that they have some yearbooks for the late 70's, but not all. He says that he does not have the 1975 edition, but he has them for several other years in the late 70's.

I'll bring a camera, and hopefully they will let me take photos of anyone named Joe from about 1973 to 1980.

ETA: In the meantime, I will go to the Rosemead Public library and see what I can find there.

Carl, I have some web hosting space if you want me to post the pics somewhere. PM me for my email if you need it.

I am at the Rosemead Library. They don't have any Bosco Tech yearbooks, but since I have two hours to burn before my 2:30 appointment, I will flip through a few Rosemead High yearbooks. Remote chance, but maybe he transferred.

frankr- sleuth Detective CarlK willing to drive all way 30 miles to the Library for just looking at possible old yearbooks of UID JD. Maybe you should help him by paying (by Paypal) his gas as donation for his available time.

What do you guys think about this one? The date is off by 3 months, but look where this guy disappeared from? I think the eyes have some resemblance. Also the height and weight are SPOT on. 145 vs 146 lbs and both say 5'7".

http://dojapp.doj.ca.gov/missing/detail.asp?FCN=2328313231848

How likely is that "last seen" date to be accurate? Could they be off by a year? Could someone have thought they saw him when they did not?

What do you guys think about this one? The date is off by 3 months, but look where this guy disappeared from? I think the eyes have some resemblance. Also the height and weight are SPOT on. 145 vs 146 lbs and both say 5'7".

How likely is that "last seen" date to be accurate? Could they be off by a year? Could someone have thought they saw him when they did not?

Yeah, it's off by 3 months. Michael have narrow face, thick straight hair, pierced left ear, scar on left ear and scars on face from acne while the UID appeared to have round face, short curly hair and have no scars.

Yeah, it's off by 3 months. Michael have narrow face, thick straight hair, pierced left ear, scar on left ear and scars on face from acne while the UID appeared to have round face, short curly hair and have no scars.

Yeah, scars are difficult to miss. And it's not like there's no mention of scars, it says "no scars". *sigh*.

Hmm... there is some resemblance if you take out the beard but apparently Michael was last seen at his home, two days after his seventeenth birthday. This sounds like the report is very specific. That could have been filled in of course based on the date reported missing and not have been mentioned in the original report.

Michael is also below the age range of the Doe. They could have just looked at the Doe but I expect they've looked at features like bone fusion and presence of wisdom teeth to be fairly confident of an age range of 25 +/- 5 years rather than simply figuring that he looked like he's in his 20s.

Maybe the 1981 yearbook should be checked - if Michael were missing, two days after his sixteenth, it'd be mentioned or at the very least he wouldn't be in the book. If he's in the book, it's unlikely to be him.

I've also just prepared an overview of the facial features (and then lost it). While the eyes and chin line up well, and so does the nose, Michael's chin is longer than the Doe's (from memory - the mouth does not line up anyway). Sorry I can't post it - I just ended up with a jpg of one of the layers, not the flattened one I was expecting.

I got a pretty good look at the 76-80 yearbooks. One guy who caught my attention was Joe Van Thyne. I'll post his photos when I get home, but until then, see what you can find on that name in Facebook, Classmates, etc.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flintinsects
Back