962 users online (189 members and 773 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Wise Old Owl is offline Retired WS Staff & Founding member of AFKBPOFPOPL

FL - Parents Charged With 863 Counts of Child Neglect

MIAMI (WSVN) -- A couple appeared in bond court to face more than 800 counts of child neglect.

According to City of Miami Police, Shireen and Philip Mathieu, forced their 16-year-old daughter to sleep with them in a family car while they kept a neat home inside their duplex, which was also stuffed with garbage.

Police said the daughter told them she spent half her life, from the ages of 8 to 16, sleeping and even going to the bathroom outside the home her parents owned at 6329 and 6327 NW First Ct. The parents have denied these accusations.

Police have charged the couple with as many as 863 counts of child neglect. A judge ordered the couple held on a bond in excess of $430,000.

Police said the couple allowed garbage to pile up inside their home while they cleaned only a small section of it. "The entire family was not allowed to go into the house," said Miami Police Commander Delrish Moss. "The only thing that would happen during the day is mother would go into the clean part of the house and continually clean while piling all the garbage and filth into the other part."

Moss said the reason why the family would not sleep inside still remains a mystery. "Those are things we're still trying to figure out," he said. "I mean, detectives asked questions for hours, and they still have more questions to ask. There really is no good explanation for any of this."

"I think it's sad," said an unidentified neighbor. "It's like child abuse."

http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MI88052/

The first thing that comes to mind is "mental illness" but this has been going on for at least EIGHT YEARS!!! And no one noticed? No one saw this family sleeping in the cars? No one saw these children (I heard there are more than just the one) going to the "bathroom in the yard"?

I also wonder where this couple is from - it says they owned the property but that doesn't mean anything here in the Banana Republic.

I'll watch this one to see what else comes out.

Just saw an update on the local news. The couple is from the Bahamas and there was only the one child. Dad is 62 mom is 42. Wonder where they were and what was going on when the child was younger (birth to age 8).

Extremely strange story and circumstances.

Girl forced to live outside for 8 YEARS MERGED

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/23634149/detail.html

Both "parents" (I use the term SO loosely) are facing 863 counts of child neglect.

MONSTERS!!

http://www.justnews.com/news/23633662/detail.html

the link shows the parents' picture

Where was this young girl's extended family from 8-16yo? Neighbors? School Admin?

I am continually amazed that things like this go on. Really, how did NO ONE know???

And we wonder why kids commit suicide and runaway. I am really interested in the details in this story.

This story has everyone here just shaking their head. More details are coming out. To me it seems the mom has SEVERE OCD - she wouldn't let anyone inside. The building was a duplex and one side was spotless - she stored all the garbage in the other side and wouldn't let dad or daughter inside at all. They all slept in the car. Daughter said its been going on for 8 years - dad says its only been since 2007.

Dad says he didn't do anything because he didn't want to "rock the boat" or "upset the wife". Don't understand why he didn't get help - both for the mom and his child.

No one really noticed because they had a tarp over the fence and the car they slept in - they had another car they used for transportation. They showered using the hose outside!

JUST UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!

Yeah, I'm going with the "mental" illness thing.

16 Year Old Forced To Live Outdoors Of Home

Imagine being a 16 year old girl and being forced to live outside although you have a home.

Mind you the parents lived outside the property as well. Philipe Mathieu aged 62 and his wife Sherrine Mathieu aged 42 have been charged with 863 counts of child neglect without harm.

According to the girl they ate, slept and used an outdoor toilet on the grounds of their home for the last 8 years. Dad says it's only been since 2007 and it's because of his wife's cleaning?

I'm just going to venture a small guess this lady has OCD maybe?

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/2...g-outside.html

O.K. I'm sorry this is a little different.

The family lived in filth in a car. They bathed with a hose. Used buckets to got to the bathroom. They own a duplex. One part was filthy. Like way filthy. The other part was clean. Had a TV. Flower arrangements and a small bed.

The daughter said this is the part of the house they used in case child services came.

They are trying to get decent shelter for this young lady presently.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/2...-child-to.html
    Last edited by Filly; 05-22-2010 at 07:50 PM.

I'm really not sure how I feel about this. This girl was fed, clothed, given some sort of shelter (although I admit a car is not the best shelter a parent can provide) and she had access to water and crude bathroom facilities. This really isn't much different from how many children live across this world.

It sounds as though the parents aren't in perfect mental health, but it is hard to equate their actions with the truly negligent behavior of parents who fail to feed or care in any way for their children.

I need to think a little more about this one!

http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MI88052/

I think it is a very tragic situation. The mother does seem to be very compulsive... almost the opposite of hoarding. The father wanted to keep the "peace" so mom kept a perfect house in one section of the duplex by having the family live outside for eight years with their daughter living in very primitive circumstances compared to her peers in the neighborhood. I think it must have been very damaging to the daughter because of the filth, very close sleeping quarters etc. so she has suffered physically and mentally. I do have compassion for the mother... OCD.. but her compulsive behavior has been harmful. Mother needs help and so does the father because of his passivity. I pray their daughter can survive these last eight years intact.

All I can say is this is very very strange. Not only was the daughter raised in a dysfunctional home (putting it mildly) - the parents as well. Can you imagine cleaning your house and then making the family sleep in the car? That's some serious OCD. As someone said above - I don't know if this is true child abuse, as there are many homeless children who lives in cars, campers, and vans with their parents. Many can't even shower or go to school.

Odd...very odd....

Mel