Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: CO - Kayleah Wilson, 12, Greeley, 28 March 2010 - #6

Quote Originally Posted by lillygator View Post
    so he has not been charged with her murder correct?
    Yes, that's correct, lilly. He's been charged with sexually assaulting Kayleah, and is a person of interest in her murder.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BeanE For This Useful Post:

A spokesperson for April Wilson, Kayleah's mother, released a statement Saturday about the arrest: "Mrs. Wilson is very clear that she 'did not know she was involved with the young man, and when she did find out about the relationship, she quickly ended the relationship.' "

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20...r-Greeley-girl

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BeanE For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by raeann View Post
    I always appreciate having both sides of the debate presented and hearing the rationale for why each side believes whatever they support. In this case, I can totally support anyone who wants to argue that this young man is innocent of the charges against him until it is proven in court or he confesses his guilt. HOWEVER, I have great difficulty with any attempt to "prove" through theory or twist of logic that "yes, he did have an intimate relationship with a 12 year old child, but that's ok because it's just a social hang-up that anyone would think it is wrong to do so".

BTW, do we know KW's date of birth? Was she even 12 at the time of the October charges, or was she just 11 at that time?

jmoo
    bbm

Kayleah Janelle Wilson was born June 25, 1997

http://www.legacy.com/dignity-memori...84&mid=4261238

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RubyRed For This Useful Post:

An 18-year-old Colorado man accused of having sex with a girl who has since been found dead in an irrigation ditch is due back in court next month.

A judge on Tuesday delayed a bond hearing for Robert Laurencio Montoya. Montoya was in court on charges including sexual assault for allegedly having a sexual relationship with 12-year-old Kayleah Wilson.

Wilson was missing for seven weeks before her body was discovered last week. Police say Montoya is not a suspect in Kayleah's disappearance and death, but had a sexual relationship with her before she vanished.

Montoya appeared in court wearing a prison jumpsuit. A judge delayed the bond reduction hearing to June 15.

Kayleah's family planned a public memorial Tuesday afternoon.
    http://www.kdvr.com/news/sns-ap-co--...,7088514.story
    Justice for Nevaeh FB Group http://bit.ly/justice4nevaeh

In Memory of Aja D. Johnson:
    http://bit.ly/AjaFacebookGroup

In Memory of Ethan Stacy -
    http://bit.ly/inmemoryofethan

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to darlin gal For This Useful Post:

There is a slideshow of Kayleah at this link. Click on her picture.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RubyRed For This Useful Post:

A Weld County judge on Tuesday waived a motion to reduce bail for an 18-year-old Colorado man arrested for allegedly having sex with a girl who went missing for seven weeks.

Robert Laurencio Montoya faces felony charges including sexual assault for allegedly having an ongoing sexual relationship with 12-year-old Kayleah Wilson. He remains in custody on $100,000 bail.
    The shaggy-haired Montoya appeared in court for the brief two-minute appearance, clad in an orange jail-issued jumpsuit. No family members appeared to be present at the hearing.
    Police say Montoya is not a suspect in the disappearance and death of Kayleah, who was last seen March 28. Kayleah's body was recovered Wednesday from an irrigation ditch about a half-mile from her house.
    In a statement, Kayleah's mother says she had stopped the relationship in February when the mother learned about it.
    Montoya's lawyer, a public defender, did not comment following the hearing. The judge scheduled Montoya's next court appearance for June 15.

http://www.9news.com/news/article.as...9647&catid=339
    Justice for Nevaeh FB Group http://bit.ly/justice4nevaeh

In Memory of Aja D. Johnson:
    http://bit.ly/AjaFacebookGroup

In Memory of Ethan Stacy -
    http://bit.ly/inmemoryofethan

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to darlin gal For This Useful Post:

Kayleah Janelle Wilson

Born: June 25, 1997

Last edited by RubyRed; 05-25-2010 at 02:05 PM.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RubyRed For This Useful Post:

Robert Laurencio Montoya appeared in Weld District Court Tuesday with chief public defender Kevin Strobel, who asked that a planned bond reduction hearing be canceled while he waits for the volumes of paperwork in the investigation.

snip

Kayleah's mother, April Wilson, did not attend Montoya's hearing on Tuesday, but relayed to Weld Deputy District Attorney Anthony Peer that she was opposed to any reduction of Montoya's bond. In previous reports, Wilson, has reported she had tried to put an end to her daughter's relationship with Montoya.

Montoya was a student at Greeley West High School from January 2008 to August 2009, but he is not currently enrolled. District 6 officials declined to release other information about him, citing student privacy laws.

Rumors of Kayleah's possible pregnancy have been coming up in the case, but police have yet to say they can confirm those stories.

snip

As the law pertains to this case, the alleged sexual relations between Kayleah and Montoya were illegal because she was below the age of consent, which is 15, and Montoya was more than five years her senior. The second charge of sexual assault on a child as a pattern of abuse was added in this case because authorities believe the acts took place over a period of time.

http://www.greeleytribune.com/articl...ntProfile=1001

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BeanE For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BeanE View Post
    Robert Laurencio Montoya appeared in Weld District Court Tuesday with chief public defender Kevin Strobel, who asked that a planned bond reduction hearing be canceled while he waits for the volumes of paperwork in the investigation.

If Montoya has a public defender, this is good! Regardless of what they are portrayed as, public defenders are employed by the county and work for the county and their assignment is to rush the cases through as fast as they can so the county makes more money off the fines and doesn't get clogged up with casses. Their main goal is to get the clients to plead no contest to the charges.

A public defender who repeatedly ties the court up with lengthy trials won't have a job long!

(This is just my opinion, one that I arrived at by reviewing thousands of cases filed in Butte County, California which are available online for viewing and research.)

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PickieChickie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PickieChickie View Post
    If Montoya has a public defender, this is good! Regardless of what they are portrayed as, public defenders are employed by the county and work for the county and their assignment is to rush the cases through as fast as they can so the county makes more money off the fines and doesn't get clogged up with casses. Their main goal is to get the clients to plead no contest to the charges.

A public defender who repeatedly ties the court up with lengthy trials won't have a job long!

(This is just my opinion, one that I arrived at by reviewing thousands of cases filed in Butte County, California which are available online for viewing and research.)
    In my experiences with family members, public defenders do just as good of a job as any other attorney, if not better. They are overworked, but they do a good job, IMO. In fact, there are certain other defendants in criminal cases that we are following here on WS who would be better served by a public defender, rather than a wannabe big shot lawyer (or a legend in his own mind, yes, I am thinking of Jose Baez!). JMO, IMO, and all other disclaimers.

I think it's only going to be a few days or weeks before Montoya is charged with Kayleah's murder. IMO
    My posts are to stay at WS, not to be moved to other forums for their members to judge. I know who is moving posts and this is fair warning. If I want my posts moved to other places, I will do it myself.

The above post is JMO, MOO, MHO, and all other disclaimers. Please leave it here at WS! TIA

20. The Following User Says Thank You to tezi For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tezi View Post
    In my experiences with family members, public defenders do just as good of a job as any other attorney, if not better. They are overworked, but they do a good job, IMO. In fact, there are certain other defendants in criminal cases that we are following here on WS who would be better served by a public defender, rather than a wannabe big shot lawyer (or a legend in his own mind, yes, I am thinking of Jose Baez!). JMO, IMO, and all other disclaimers.

I think it's only going to be a few days or weeks before Montoya is charged with Kayleah's murder. IMO
    Where does the money come from to pay the public defenders? It comes from the county. If every single public defender told their clients to stick to their guns and demand a jury trial, the counties would go broke.

I reviewed thousands of cases in our county and kept a tally of each case and only 5% of the defendants who had public defenders stuck to their guns and demanded a jury trial whereas 95% plead no contest when offered reduced charges.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to PickieChickie For This Useful Post:

Cubby is online now 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176

I reviewed thousands of cases in our county and kept a tally of each case and only 5% of the defendants who had public defenders stuck to their guns and demanded a jury trial whereas 95% plead no contest when offered reduced charges.

There is a big difference between a public defenders main job being to get the defendent to plead no contest and a track record of 95% pleading no contest when offered reduced charges. I would also believe that depends on the type of crime as well as to whether reduced charges would be offered.

JMO
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Websleuths Resource Center

Call Kurtis - Psychics and the Missing

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RubyRed View Post
    bbm

Kayleah Janelle Wilson was born June 25, 1997

Thank you. I'm gathering information in one place and this confirms what I'd read before.

Does anyone know why this source says her date of death was May 17?

IIRC, she was found on Wednesday, May 19, and her remains officially identified on Thursday, May 20.

ETA
    From link above:
    Born: June 25, 1997
    Died: May 17, 2010

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Noway For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Noway View Post
    Thank you. I'm gathering information in one place and this confirms what I'd read before.

Does anyone know why this source says her date of death was May 17?

IIRC, she was found on Wednesday, May 19, and her remains officially identified on Thursday, May 20.
    You are right it was May 19. This same obit earlier on had two different birth dates. I just think it is their mistake and them being careless.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RubyRed For This Useful Post:

Was May 17 the date listed in official obituary? That is odd...as would be May 19, as that was the date RM was arrested, IIRC, and a defense lawyer might jump on that to say his client was in custody...but I guess they have to have some date to use...I think it was 3/28 personally...
    Just my opinion, of course.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to cluciano63 For This Useful Post:

I was wondering about RM family. Does he have one? We have not seen them standing by him, usually they come out in support the family member.
    Last edited by Cubby; 05-25-2010 at 04:42 PM. Reason: edit unnecessary ethnicity comment

32. The Following User Says Thank You to lilcatt For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cluciano63 View Post
    Was May 17 the date listed in official obituary? That is odd...as would be May 19, as that was the date RM was arrested, IIRC, and a defense lawyer might jump on that to say his client was in custody...but I guess they have to have some date to use...I think it was 3/28 personally...

When Kayleah's body was discovered on Wednesday,
    Kayleah was found May 19.

Robert Laurencio Montoya was arrested on Wednesday but his arrest wasn't announced until Friday afternoon. Montoya is 18, Kayleah was 12.
    May 19 as well.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...28/detail.html

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RubyRed For This Useful Post:

Where does the money come from to pay the public defenders? It comes from the county. If every single public defender told their clients to stick to their guns and demand a jury trial, the counties would go broke.

I know perfectly well where the money comes from, thank you very much. I am not an idiot. I was just pointing out that in my experiences with my own family, the public defenders they had did a good job. I wasn't trying to incite a fight.

And the only reason that I said that public defenders in general do a good job is because it means Montoya will get a fair shake whether he pleads out or goes to trial. I could care less that you have reviewed thousands of cases, because it has absolutely nothing to do with the point I was attempting to make, and absolutely nothing to do with Kayleah.

Back to topic which is a twelve year old child who has died way too soon.
    My posts are to stay at WS, not to be moved to other forums for their members to judge. I know who is moving posts and this is fair warning. If I want my posts moved to other places, I will do it myself.

The above post is JMO, MOO, MHO, and all other disclaimers. Please leave it here at WS! TIA

The Greeley Trib, which patted itself on the back over the weekend for not trying to be "first" in naming the body found as Kayelah's, continues to refer to RM in headlines as "Kayleah's boyfriend"...so much for integrity vs. sensationalism...IMO

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cluciano63 For This Useful Post:

The Greeley Trib, which patted itself on the back over the weekend for not trying to be "first" in naming the body found as Kayelah's, continues to refer to RM in headlines as "Kayleah's boyfriend"...so much for integrity vs. sensationalism...IMO
    I'll bet RSO's and pedophiles love the Trib for using the term "boyfriend". Their subscriptions will probably go up from this predator pack and go down for everyone who cares about children.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to No More For This Useful Post:

It is strange, IMO, that we have heard nothing about RM; whether he lived with a parent or parents, has siblings, etc...no one even seems sure about his schooling or employment. I would think that if he had family members behind him, his attorney would want that known. Does anyone know if the arrest warrant shows a home address? Did he live in the apartment complex?

Cubby is online now 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    I've unapproved and edited some posts which started being geared to commenting on the perps race. Let's not go down that road please. A crime is a crime...... No point in going off into the racial profiling or racial comments.

If you see a questionable post, please use the alert button rather than reply to it. All replying does is create additional work for the mods.

Thank you!

Cubby
    (mod)
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Websleuths Resource Center

Call Kurtis - Psychics and the Missing

42. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

It is strange, IMO, that we have heard nothing about RM; whether he lived with a parent or parents, has siblings, etc...no one even seems sure about his schooling or employment. I would think that if he had family members behind him, his attorney would want that known. Does anyone know if the arrest warrant shows a home address? Did he live in the apartment complex?
    Tiny bit of school info:

Montoya was a student at Greeley West High School from January 2008 to August 2009, but he is not currently enrolled. District 6 officials declined to release other information about him, citing student privacy laws.

Several hundred say their good-byes to Kayleah
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Children in black, carrying flowers. That's how they came into the warm room in the downtown hotel, to say good-bye to Kayleah.

Children in laps, pre-teens, teens, and white haired grandmas were there. More than 400 standing-room-only to say good-bye to 12-year-old Kayleah Wilson, who disappeared March 28 in Greeley. Her body was found last week. Although the body hasn't been released by the police, there was a memorial service today at the Plaza Hotel and Convention Center, formerly known as the Clarion Hotel.

Her mother, April Wilson, spoke to the 400 people thanking everyone who helped, “people I know and don't know. Thank you for keeping her name out there. She's safe now.”

45. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BeanE For This Useful Post:

In tearful service, family remembers 12-year-old Colorado girl found dead in irrigation ditch
    Associated Press
    Last update: May 25, 2010 - 4:32 PM

A 12-year-old Colorado girl missing for seven weeks before she was found dead near her home was remembered as a girl who loved to laugh, and dreamed of becoming a veterinarian and visiting Ireland.

Tuesday's memorial in Greeley for Kayleah Wilson drew about 400 mourners. The girl's mother, April Wilson, thanked neighbors who helped search after Kayleah vanished March 28 on her way to a friend's birthday party.

http://www.startribune.com/nation/94867844.html

47. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BeanE For This Useful Post:

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021 LastLast