1204 users online (267 members and 937 guests)  



Websleuths News


Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 531
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    29,182

    NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #13

    Last edited by KateB; 04-05-2015 at 12:56 AM. Reason: add info.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    895
    well, where to begin?

    rd

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by rd_jfc View Post
    well, where to begin?

    rd
    The owner of one of the homes on EL also owns a home a few miles away. I wonder if the pings in the morning...when the pings show kinda the same area, could have been from the owners other house.

    Did we determine that the "rental" was vacant at the time that Sk went missing? In old listings it says that the home is for rent, but not the casita that is also on the property. So the casita is used for something else, even when there are renters in the house???? I find that strange, or it could be because someone else is living in the casita????
    Last edited by CONCRNED CTZN; 05-23-2010 at 09:05 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    895
    Given the, ahem, scrutiny that surveillance guy had they would know. It's a good question.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ontario but a trucker so everywhere.
    Posts
    14,984
    Originally Posted by carbuff
    Where is Whitney Ranch in relation to that person who might have been Steven that used to hang around an IHOP restaurant? I'm having trouble comparing the two maps...


    Laytonian

    Quote:

    Whitney Ranch is east of McCarran (the main LV airport) and I-515. If you were looking at our TIPS MAP, it'd be south of the 1/2 IHOP location.

    According to an online list I just found, the nearest tower to the Whitney Ranch area is at 1600 W. Sunset Rd, Henderson, NV.

    http://www.cellreception.com/towers/...s&state_abr=nv
    __________________

    Brought this post over from previous thread. And the link to the tips map

    http://sites.google.com/site/paralle.../tips-ihop-bus

  6. #6
    Hi all. I followed Steven's case for a long time, including reading here, but life took me away from it for a while. Yesterday, I noticed my milk carton contained his picture which led me back to this board. I live in LV and I'm LDS, so if anyone has questions along those lines feel free to ask. Also, I'm married, but I attended several singles wards as a young adult.

    My theory agrees with many of yours, that he had some business in Anthem, which he thought was legit, and that he met with foul play instead.

    On the point that it seems people in the neighborhood are not being forthcoming and/or are covering something up, to be honest, I doubt that's the case (well, except for the one person who might be responsible for his disappearance). Vegas is weird like that. Neighbors aren't really friendly with each other and people keep to themselves. I'm not from her originally, so I've definitely noticed this trait of the area. I think because there are so few native Las Vegans and everyone is a transplant, people are just suspicious of others. The fact that this is a very transient place may also play a role. People don't want to invest in a relationship that might end in a couple months or a year. Honestly, my neighborhood looks like a ghost town most days, including weekends, because people don't spend time outside and when they come home from work, their car goes right into the garage never to be seen again. So, I guess the point I'm making, is that I don't find it hard to believe that no one saw him and that no one knows what's up in the homes of others either.

    With regard to Steven's travels, personally I wonder if he was bipolar and in a manic phase with all the driving. Going to see AN and/or her family would have been a very bold move, something that I don't think shy Steven would do normally unless emboldened by mania.

    As far as why some good Utah boy would go to seedy Vegas, well, there are lots of LDS singles here. I helped with a single adult conference here a while ago. There were hundreds of adults who came to attend workshops, a dance, dinner and just mingled and got to know each other (I saw lots of phone number swapping!). The attendees weren't just from LV, they came from CA, UT and AZ, too, even though it was mainly for LV area singles. The LDS singles scene is very word-of-mouth. There are local events that happen within your ward or stake, but it is VERY common to go to other wards, stakes, even other states to meet someone. Plus, there's a growing LDS "Mid Singles" movement for people age 30 to 45 to do social activities. You can look on facebook to see examples of their get togethers, etc. For example, see this one for LV.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northeast USA
    Posts
    3,538
    I had hoped the ping information would lead the discussion forward, such as at least providing very strong evidence that he was alive and in the Whitney Ranch area of Vegas at least until the morning after the videotape.

    It could be just my impression, but a large majority of the LDS people on this site believe that Steven was killed in SCA before the ping data came to light and that they still cling to that belief despite the fact his phone was on up until the morning after in another part of Vegas.

    Is it that difficult to accept that this guy just wanted to leave his family, church and failed career(s) behind?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    6,100
    Quote Originally Posted by SleuthyMcSleutherson View Post
    Hi all. I followed Steven's case for a long time, including reading here, but life took me away from it for a while. Yesterday, I noticed my milk carton contained his picture which led me back to this board. I live in LV and I'm LDS, so if anyone has questions along those lines feel free to ask. Also, I'm married, but I attended several singles wards as a young adult.

    My theory agrees with many of yours, that he had some business in Anthem, which he thought was legit, and that he met with foul play instead.

    On the point that it seems people in the neighborhood are not being forthcoming and/or are covering something up, to be honest, I doubt that's the case (well, except for the one person who might be responsible for his disappearance). Vegas is weird like that. Neighbors aren't really friendly with each other and people keep to themselves. I'm not from her originally, so I've definitely noticed this trait of the area. I think because there are so few native Las Vegans and everyone is a transplant, people are just suspicious of others. The fact that this is a very transient place may also play a role. People don't want to invest in a relationship that might end in a couple months or a year. Honestly, my neighborhood looks like a ghost town most days, including weekends, because people don't spend time outside and when they come home from work, their car goes right into the garage never to be seen again. So, I guess the point I'm making, is that I don't find it hard to believe that no one saw him and that no one knows what's up in the homes of others either.

    With regard to Steven's travels, personally I wonder if he was bipolar and in a manic phase with all the driving. Going to see AN and/or her family would have been a very bold move, something that I don't think shy Steven would do normally unless emboldened by mania.

    As far as why some good Utah boy would go to seedy Vegas, well, there are lots of LDS singles here. I helped with a single adult conference here a while ago. There were hundreds of adults who came to attend workshops, a dance, dinner and just mingled and got to know each other (I saw lots of phone number swapping!). The attendees weren't just from LV, they came from CA, UT and AZ, too, even though it was mainly for LV area singles. The LDS singles scene is very word-of-mouth. There are local events that happen within your ward or stake, but it is VERY common to go to other wards, stakes, even other states to meet someone. Plus, there's a growing LDS "Mid Singles" movement for people age 30 to 45 to do social activities. You can look on facebook to see examples of their get togethers, etc. For example, see this one for LV.

    Welcome to Websleuths.
    Glad to have you here.
    It is always good to have a fresh eye take a look at things.

    It is my theory also that Steven had a job in Anthem, maybe discovered it was not a 'real' business and someone ended his life there.
    God has a plan to help bring justice to the world -- and his plan is us.
    Gary Haugen
    Source: Founder, International

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    6,100
    Quote Originally Posted by webrocket View Post
    I had hoped the ping information would lead the discussion forward, such as at least providing very strong evidence that he was alive and in the Whitney Ranch area of Vegas at least until the morning after the videotape.

    It could be just my impression, but a large majority of the LDS people on this site believe that Steven was killed in SCA before the ping data came to light and that they still cling to that belief despite the fact his phone was on up until the morning after in another part of Vegas.

    Is it that difficult to accept that this guy just wanted to leave his family, church and failed career(s) behind?

    To answer your questions:
    IMO; It is not difficult to accept that maybe he wanted out of his life, but
    for me, weighing the facts we know and the kind of person Steven appears to be,
    he would not walk away.
    God has a plan to help bring justice to the world -- and his plan is us.
    Gary Haugen
    Source: Founder, International

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by webrocket View Post
    I had hoped the ping information would lead the discussion forward, such as at least providing very strong evidence that he was alive and in the Whitney Ranch area of Vegas at least until the morning after the videotape.

    It could be just my impression, but a large majority of the LDS people on this site believe that Steven was killed in SCA before the ping data came to light and that they still cling to that belief despite the fact his phone was on up until the morning after in another part of Vegas.

    Is it that difficult to accept that this guy just wanted to leave his family, church and failed career(s) behind?
    I'd missed that before, that the ping happened at a different location. I thought his voice mail had been checked the next day, no? In any case, I still think he met with foul play. He strikes me as very naive and not conniving enough to plan his disappearance. Even if SCA was a pick-up point, I still think he intended to return to his car.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northeast USA
    Posts
    3,538
    Quote Originally Posted by SleuthyMcSleutherson View Post
    I'd missed that before, that the ping happened at a different location. I thought his voice mail had been checked the next day, no? In any case, I still think he met with foul play. He strikes me as very naive and not conniving enough to plan his disappearance. Even if SCA was a pick-up point, I still think he intended to return to his car.
    I don't think he orchestrated his exit strategy on his own. The person he left with probably instructed him to park at SCA away from all the surveillance cameras that are all over Vegas proper. They just did not anticipate Mr. Security's cameras being there recording his walk down Evening Lights.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ontario but a trucker so everywhere.
    Posts
    14,984
    Quote Originally Posted by SleuthyMcSleutherson View Post
    I'd missed that before, that the ping happened at a different location. I thought his voice mail had been checked the next day, no? In any case, I still think he met with foul play. He strikes me as very naive and not conniving enough to plan his disappearance. Even if SCA was a pick-up point, I still think he intended to return to his car.
    A map of his cell pings from the timeline.

    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...9,2.246704&z=9

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    4,581
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamweaver View Post
    It is my theory also that Steven had a job in Anthem, maybe discovered it was not a 'real' business and someone ended his life there.
    But why kill someone?

    If you have a non-legit "business" and you are hiring strangers, WHY would you tell them what the job is -- UNLESS at the end of whatever it was, they find out and you then kill them?

    If you had such a business, wouldn't you have to kill ALL of your employees?

    This is why the "had a job appointment and things went bad" scenario never works for me.

    The only one that works for me, is a job driving a vehicle somewhere else -- and he decided he liked it there, and stayed. Since this obviously is not a nationwide manhunt, he could easily be living elsewhere, undetected and being paid "under the table".

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    16,111
    Thanks and welcome back.

    So based on your experience, would you say it was plausible that Steven had come down to Henderson for a Sunday afternoon social gathering, such as a Christmas party at another ward?

    Quote Originally Posted by SleuthyMcSleutherson View Post
    Hi all. I followed Steven's case for a long time, including reading here, but life took me away from it for a while. Yesterday, I noticed my milk carton contained his picture which led me back to this board. I live in LV and I'm LDS, so if anyone has questions along those lines feel free to ask. Also, I'm married, but I attended several singles wards as a young adult.

    My theory agrees with many of yours, that he had some business in Anthem, which he thought was legit, and that he met with foul play instead.

    On the point that it seems people in the neighborhood are not being forthcoming and/or are covering something up, to be honest, I doubt that's the case (well, except for the one person who might be responsible for his disappearance). Vegas is weird like that. Neighbors aren't really friendly with each other and people keep to themselves. I'm not from her originally, so I've definitely noticed this trait of the area. I think because there are so few native Las Vegans and everyone is a transplant, people are just suspicious of others. The fact that this is a very transient place may also play a role. People don't want to invest in a relationship that might end in a couple months or a year. Honestly, my neighborhood looks like a ghost town most days, including weekends, because people don't spend time outside and when they come home from work, their car goes right into the garage never to be seen again. So, I guess the point I'm making, is that I don't find it hard to believe that no one saw him and that no one knows what's up in the homes of others either.

    With regard to Steven's travels, personally I wonder if he was bipolar and in a manic phase with all the driving. Going to see AN and/or her family would have been a very bold move, something that I don't think shy Steven would do normally unless emboldened by mania.

    As far as why some good Utah boy would go to seedy Vegas, well, there are lots of LDS singles here. I helped with a single adult conference here a while ago. There were hundreds of adults who came to attend workshops, a dance, dinner and just mingled and got to know each other (I saw lots of phone number swapping!). The attendees weren't just from LV, they came from CA, UT and AZ, too, even though it was mainly for LV area singles. The LDS singles scene is very word-of-mouth. There are local events that happen within your ward or stake, but it is VERY common to go to other wards, stakes, even other states to meet someone. Plus, there's a growing LDS "Mid Singles" movement for people age 30 to 45 to do social activities. You can look on facebook to see examples of their get togethers, etc. For example, see this one for LV.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by laytonian View Post
    But why kill someone?

    If you have a non-legit "business" and you are hiring strangers, WHY would you tell them what the job is -- UNLESS at the end of whatever it was, they find out and you then kill them?

    If you had such a business, wouldn't you have to kill ALL of your employees?

    This is why the "had a job appointment and things went bad" scenario never works for me.

    The only one that works for me, is a job driving a vehicle somewhere else -- and he decided he liked it there, and stayed. Since this obviously is not a nationwide manhunt, he could easily be living elsewhere, undetected and being paid "under the table".
    If you have a non-legit business, you would NOT tell them what the business is. But if the person they hire, gets a hint, and the business owner finds out,then they will gey rid of their employee. We have discussed here before, about drug businesses. If business owners find someone to deliver, and pick-up drugs and money, and if the employee gets caught, the business owner is out of trouble. It would be hard for the employee to prove he was not at fault. This does go on. Just another way to smuggle drugs.

Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #20
    By SheWhoMustNotBeNamed in forum 2000's Missing
    Replies: 617
    Last Post: 05-12-2011, 04:11 PM
  2. NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #12
    By Salem in forum 2000's Missing
    Replies: 667
    Last Post: 05-23-2010, 12:31 AM
  3. NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #11
    By Salem in forum 2000's Missing
    Replies: 583
    Last Post: 05-02-2010, 11:35 PM
  4. NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - # 9
    By Salem in forum 2000's Missing
    Replies: 673
    Last Post: 04-12-2010, 04:41 PM
  5. NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - # 5
    By believe09 in forum 2000's Missing
    Replies: 539
    Last Post: 02-12-2010, 08:33 PM

Tags for this Thread