Thread #1 Thread #2

Thread #3 Thread #4

Thread #5 Thread #6

Thread #7 Thread #8

Thread #9 Thread #10

Thread #11 Thread #12

well, where to begin?

rd

The owner of one of the homes on EL also owns a home a few miles away. I wonder if the pings in the morning...when the pings show kinda the same area, could have been from the owners other house.

Did we determine that the "rental" was vacant at the time that Sk went missing? In old listings it says that the home is for rent, but not the casita that is also on the property. So the casita is used for something else, even when there are renters in the house???? I find that strange, or it could be because someone else is living in the casita????

Originally Posted by carbuff
Where is Whitney Ranch in relation to that person who might have been Steven that used to hang around an IHOP restaurant? I'm having trouble comparing the two maps...

Laytonian

Quote:

Whitney Ranch is east of McCarran (the main LV airport) and I-515. If you were looking at our TIPS MAP, it'd be south of the 1/2 IHOP location.

According to an online list I just found, the nearest tower to the Whitney Ranch area is at 1600 W. Sunset Rd, Henderson, NV.

http://www.cellreception.com/towers/...s&state_abr=nv

Brought this post over from previous thread. And the link to the tips map

http://sites.google.com/site/parallelcooler/home/koecher-html/tips-ihop-bus

Hi all. I followed Steven's case for a long time, including reading here, but life took me away from it for a while. Yesterday, I noticed my milk carton contained his picture which led me back to this board. I live in LV and I'm LDS, so if anyone has questions along those lines feel free to ask. Also, I'm married, but I attended several singles wards as a young adult.

My theory agrees with many of yours, that he had some business in Anthem, which he thought was legit, and that he met with foul play instead.

On the point that it seems people in the neighborhood are not being forthcoming and/or are covering something up, to be honest, I doubt that's the case (well, except for the one person who might be responsible for his disappearance). Vegas is weird like that. Neighbors aren't really friendly with each other and people keep to themselves. I'm not from her originally, so I've definitely noticed this trait of the area. I think because there are so few native Las Vegans and everyone is a transplant, people are just suspicious of others. The fact that this is a very transient place may also play a role. People don't want to invest in a relationship that might end in a couple months or a year. Honestly, my neighborhood looks like a ghost town most days, including weekends, because people don't spend time outside and when they come home from work, their car goes right into the garage never to be seen again. So, I guess the point I'm making, is that I don't find it hard to believe that no one saw him and that no one knows what's up in the homes of others either.

With regard to Steven's travels, personally I wonder if he was bipolar and in a manic phase with all the driving. Going to see AN and/or her family would have been a very bold move, something that I don't think shy Steven would do normally unless emboldened by mania.

As far as why some good Utah boy would go to seedy Vegas, well, there are lots of LDS singles here. I helped with a single adult conference here a while ago. There were hundreds of adults who came to attend workshops, a dance, dinner and just mingled and got to know each other (I saw lots of phone number swapping!). The attendees weren't just from LV, they came from CA, UT and AZ, too, even though it was mainly for LV area singles. The LDS singles scene is very word-of-mouth. There are local events that happen within your ward or stake, but it is VERY common to go to other wards, stakes, even other states to meet someone. Plus, there's a growing LDS "Mid Singles" movement for people age 30 to 45 to do social activities. You can look on facebook to see examples of their get togethers, etc. For example, see this one for LV.

I had hoped the ping information would lead the discussion forward, such as at least providing very strong evidence that he was alive and in the Whitney Ranch area of Vegas at least until the morning after the videotape.

It could be just my impression, but a large majority of the LDS people on this site believe that Steven was killed in SCA before the ping data came to light and that they still cling to that belief despite the fact his phone was on up until the morning after in another part of Vegas.

Is it that difficult to accept that this guy just wanted to leave his family, church and failed career(s) behind?

Hi all. I followed Steven's case for a long time, including reading here, but life took me away from it for a while. Yesterday, I noticed my milk carton contained his picture which led me back to this board. I live in LV and I'm LDS, so if anyone has questions along those lines feel free to ask. Also, I'm married, but I attended several singles wards as a young adult.

My theory agrees with many of yours, that he had some business in Anthem, which he thought was legit, and that he met with foul play instead.

On the point that it seems people in the neighborhood are not being forthcoming and/or are covering something up, to be honest, I doubt that's the case (well, except for the one person who might be responsible for his disappearance). Vegas is weird like that. Neighbors aren't really friendly with each other and people keep to themselves. I'm not from her originally, so I've definitely noticed this trait of the area. I think because there are so few native Las Vegans and everyone is a transplant, people are just suspicious of others. The fact that this is a very transient place may also play a role. People don't want to invest in a relationship that might end in a couple months or a year. Honestly, my neighborhood looks like a ghost town most days, including weekends, because people don't spend time outside and when they come home from work, their car goes right into the garage never to be seen again. So, I guess the point I'm making, is that I don't find it hard to believe that no one saw him and that no one knows what's up in the homes of others either.

With regard to Steven's travels, personally I wonder if he was bipolar and in a manic phase with all the driving. Going to see AN and/or her family would have been a very bold move, something that I don't think shy Steven would do normally unless emboldened by mania.

As far as why some good Utah boy would go to seedy Vegas, well, there are lots of LDS singles here. I helped with a single adult conference here a while ago. There were hundreds of adults who came to attend workshops, a dance, dinner and just mingled and got to know each other (I saw lots of phone number swapping!). The attendees weren't just from LV, they came from CA, UT and AZ, too, even though it was mainly for LV area singles. The LDS singles scene is very word-of-mouth. There are local events that happen within your ward or stake, but it is VERY common to go to other wards, stakes, even other states to meet someone. Plus, there's a growing LDS "Mid Singles" movement for people age 30 to 45 to do social activities. You can look on facebook to see examples of their get togethers, etc. For example, see this one for LV.

Welcome to Websleuths.
Glad to have you here.
It is always good to have a fresh eye take a look at things.

It is my theory also that Steven had a job in Anthem, maybe discovered it was not a 'real' business and someone ended his life there.

I had hoped the ping information would lead the discussion forward, such as at least providing very strong evidence that he was alive and in the Whitney Ranch area of Vegas at least until the morning after the videotape.

It could be just my impression, but a large majority of the LDS people on this site believe that Steven was killed in SCA before the ping data came to light and that they still cling to that belief despite the fact his phone was on up until the morning after in another part of Vegas.

Is it that difficult to accept that this guy just wanted to leave his family, church and failed career(s) behind?

To answer your questions:
IMO; It is not difficult to accept that maybe he wanted out of his life, but
for me, weighing the facts we know and the kind of person Steven appears to be,
he would not walk away.

I'd missed that before, that the ping happened at a different location. I thought his voice mail had been checked the next day, no? In any case, I still think he met with foul play. He strikes me as very naive and not conniving enough to plan his disappearance. Even if SCA was a pick-up point, I still think he intended to return to his car.

I'd missed that before, that the ping happened at a different location. I thought his voice mail had been checked the next day, no? In any case, I still think he met with foul play. He strikes me as very naive and not conniving enough to plan his disappearance. Even if SCA was a pick-up point, I still think he intended to return to his car.

I don't think he orchestrated his exit strategy on his own. The person he left with probably instructed him to park at SCA away from all the surveillance cameras that are all over Vegas proper. They just did not anticipate Mr. Security's cameras being there recording his walk down Evening Lights.

A map of his cell pings from the timeline.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...6.62655,-114.422607&spn=1.362209,2.246704&z=9

It is my theory also that Steven had a job in Anthem, maybe discovered it was not a 'real' business and someone ended his life there.

But why kill someone?

If you have a non-legit "business" and you are hiring strangers, WHY would you tell them what the job is -- UNLESS at the end of whatever it was, they find out and you then kill them?

If you had such a business, wouldn't you have to kill ALL of your employees?

This is why the "had a job appointment and things went bad" scenario never works for me.

The only one that works for me, is a job driving a vehicle somewhere else -- and he decided he liked it there, and stayed. Since this obviously is not a nationwide manhunt, he could easily be living elsewhere, undetected and being paid "under the table".

Thanks and welcome back.

So based on your experience, would you say it was plausible that Steven had come down to Henderson for a Sunday afternoon social gathering, such as a Christmas party at another ward?

But why kill someone?

If you have a non-legit "business" and you are hiring strangers, WHY would you tell them what the job is -- UNLESS at the end of whatever it was, they find out and you then kill them?

If you had such a business, wouldn't you have to kill ALL of your employees?

This is why the "had a job appointment and things went bad" scenario never works for me.

The only one that works for me, is a job driving a vehicle somewhere else -- and he decided he liked it there, and stayed. Since this obviously is not a nationwide manhunt, he could easily be living elsewhere, undetected and being paid "under the table".

If you have a non-legit business, you would NOT tell them what the business is. But if the person they hire, gets a hint, and the business owner finds out,then they will gey rid of their employee. We have discussed here before, about drug businesses. If business owners find someone to deliver, and pick-up drugs and money, and if the employee gets caught, the business owner is out of trouble. It would be hard for the employee to prove he was not at fault. This does go on. Just another way to smuggle drugs.

If you have a non-legit business, you would NOT tell them what the business is. But if the person they hire, gets a hint, and the business owner finds out,then they will gey rid of their employee. We have discussed here before, about drug businesses. If business owners find someone to deliver, and pick-up drugs and money, and if the employee gets caught, the business owner is out of trouble. It would be hard for the employee to prove he was not at fault. This does go on. Just another way to smuggle drugs.

Do people really think that Steven was that naive to have traveled to LV (without leaving a paper or electronic trail) and got duped into something illegal and was murdered?

If that is true, then did not this other person dupe others? Who were they and what became of them? Did they all become criminals overnight or were they murdered too?

I think the business gone wrong scenario works if SK created some kind of papertrail back to someone who was not obviously tied to the business.

Hypothetical-SK was being hired to collect mortgage pmts illegally. Part of the nature of this scam is to NOT PAY the employees. To withold the commissions until they quit, thereby voiding their contracts. What if SK was refusing to quit and was insisting on collecting?? What if he basically would not go away? I mean, he had a lot on the line. He was a smart guy-what if he used his computer to figure out who was in on the take?? What if he simply decided this was the time he would stand up because he believed he was actually going to dig himself out of his hole and yet again, it had gone wrong....again just a hypothetical.

This is just an example-we could insert cleaning drop houses, creating domains whatever...

There are no communications on his cell phone and nothing noted anywhere, not a scrap of info about any activity. That means he was hiding whatever he was into, if he was into anything that people think got him killed.

Would be interesting to know for example if anyone tried to call him all day Saturday. Not a ping, and it looks like he was down LV way again with only ping being in Overton later.

And jack in the box and every other kind of random purchase receipts in his car but not one hint of this activity? That's pretty hard to do. Sloppy one second, oh so discriminate the next. Sorry, doesn't work that way.

And murderer takes 4 1/2 hours to get his cell phone to Whitney Ranch area, exactly the same amouint of time it takes to walk there with a break or two, and then waits to checks his voice mail till the next morning. Please.

Now I don't think it's reasonable to walk away from his car, in an area he had been all morning for some reason, and start hiking north to the interstate. But if was into something he was hiding it, and he may still be hiding. That's the only thing the information points to.

rd

Thanks and welcome back.

So based on your experience, would you say it was plausible that Steven had come down to Henderson for a Sunday afternoon social gathering, such as a Christmas party at another ward?

The LDS do not hold church-sponsored social events on Sundays; that's the day for ward and stake meetings. Even the temples are closed on Sunday.

Do people really think that Steven was that naive to have traveled to LV (without leaving a paper or electronic trail) and got duped into something illegal and was murdered?

Apparently so. It's obvious the phone was turned on and off (which explains why it didn't ping all along I-15 between St George and Las Vegas), to preserve the battery life. He was called only by known people. He was not hiding where he was (he even told people he was in Vegas).

If that is true, then did not this other person dupe others? Who were they and what became of them? Did they all become criminals overnight or were they murdered too?

That's what I've been asking, and no one ever has an answer. There's lots of unsubstantiated "what ifs" that (IMO) have never been based on a lick of evidence. It's easy to say "What if....".

If there are sham businesses out there regularly murdering their employees to avoid paying them, I haven't heard of them since the 1971 case of Juan Corona, the man who killed 25 illegal immigrant farm workers.

What ARE those businesses? Who ARE these victims who were killed because they left a paper trail (a paper trail not ever discovered in this case, yet SK was supposedly killed because of that nonexistent paper trail?)

I am of the firm belief that IF Steven was duped into something that led to a bad end, it started in St George and with someone he knew who sent him to do supposedly-legitimate "work".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie