GUILTY MI - Courtney Delano, 19, pregnant, murdered, Portage, 22 May 2010

BeanE

Inactive
Reaction score
Website
casesignal.wordpress.com
Man charged with killing pregnant girlfriend in Portage had just been let out of jail
May 23, 2010, 11:55PM

rollon-marko-courtney-delano-7ed5dda95ceea13b_large.jpg

Rollon Marko was released from jail on a domestic-violence case just hours before the 26-year-old Portage resident allegedly killed Courtney Delano, his pregnant 19-year-old girlfriend, Portage police confirm.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2010/05/man_charged_with_killing_pregn.html

I wish this young lady had taken heed to the concerns of her friends and family. Why oh why do women continue to get sucked into these abusive, controlling relationships? What is it in us that continues to want to "save" or "fix" these sick young men?

So very sad.

RIP

How horrible!
In the comments after the story someone mentioned that she was going to name the baby Logan, so I'm guessing the baby was a boy. :(

VB

Why do they constantly let these men out knowing they will go right after these helpless women who called for help. I thought we are suppose to protect the innocent seems as though that has been placed on the back burner with all the budget cuts going around they let them out early and back on our streets to hurt innocent people Rest in Peace Honey no one can hurt you anymore :(

RIP sweet girl and baby Logan, how tragically sad:(

Again!:furious:

Thankfully I have no clue to what goes on in an abusive relationship. I can't fathom. However, I do know I'd be da*n frightened to go and get a piece of paper that would jail the person who beats me senseless. It seems the piece of paper should be a permit for the abused to carry.

Of course carrying a firearm can't be the answer, but that piece of paper what does it do?

Poor girl and her baby. I am so sorry Courtney you couldn't be protected.

'hes gonna kill her and there's nothing i can do about it".

did she try? yeah i know, victim family. but i think that's a bizzare comment

Why do they constantly let these men out knowing they will go right after these helpless women who called for help. I thought we are suppose to protect the innocent seems as though that has been placed on the back burner with all the budget cuts going around they let them out early and back on our streets to hurt innocent people Rest in Peace Honey no one can hurt you anymore :(

I don't know why they continue to let them out.
But the helpless label in my opinion is part of the problem.
Mom thought he was going to kill and she was resigned to it?
A restraining order will do nothing to protect you from a lunatic.
It will help your defense when you shoot them for violating, but you cannot rely on one.

We lost a family member to domestic violence so please don't think I am blaming the victim. That is not my point. My MIL died in a very very ugly divorce dispute. There were tons of warning signs. Family members begged her to move (resources were not an issue). I agreed with her stance that she shouldn't have to leave her house, but the situation was way beyond right and wrong at that point. And he made sure she left that house one way or another.

These situations are so tragic for everyone involved.

Family Questions Police In Death Of Daughter
Posted Wednesday May 26, 2010 17 minutes ago

The family of a 19-year-old Portage woman recently killed by her live-in boyfriend want to know why he had weapons, despite his violent history. Rollon Marko allegedly shot and killed Courtney DeLano at the home the two shared Saturday.

DeLano's mother says the 26-year-old had assaulted Courtney in the past and was already facing several other charges including assaulting police. Detectives say his past offenses were all misdemeanors. He had to be convicted of a felony to lose his guns.

http://www.wkzo.com/news/articles/2010/may/26/family-questions-police-death-daughter/

The family of a 19-year-old Portage woman recently killed by her live-in boyfriend want to know why he had weapons, despite his violent history. Rollon Marko allegedly shot and killed Courtney DeLano at the home the two shared Saturday.

DeLano's mother says the 26-year-old had assaulted Courtney in the past and was already facing several other charges including assaulting police. Detectives say his past offenses were all misdemeanors. He had to be convicted of a felony to lose his guns.

http://www.wkzo.com/news/articles/2010/may/26/family-questions-police-death-daughter/
BBM.

Well there you go. DV is a misdemeanor offense. Apparently so is assaulting a police officer in this state. I am going to go out on a limb here and say this state might want to reconsider allowing someone facing assault charges on anyone being allowed to carry weapons.

I am so angry I cannot see straight.

assaulting a police officer is a misdomeaner? on what planet?

Ahhh, he has to be CONVICTED of a felony to lose his guns. Not just facing a felony. Well that is STUPID.

Really STUPID.

So, he has to be convicted of the murder of his g/f and the unborn child before he loses his licence to carry. And the weapons themselves.

Is that the rationale here?

I gotta get off this thread-i am still so mad I could spit.

Because I checked with the Michigan Legislature after first taking a look at the Concealed Carry permit laws for the state, and the circumstances under which a weapon can be seized.

Here is the link:
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(gf...g.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-600-4703

snip
(2) Personal property subject to forfeiture under this chapter may be seized without process under any of the following circumstances:
(a) The property is the proceeds of a crime or an instrumentality of a crime and the seizure is incident to a lawful arrest.
(b) The seizure is pursuant to a valid search warrant.
(c) The seizure is pursuant to an inspection under a valid administrative inspection warrant.
(d) There is probable cause to believe that the property is directly or indirectly dangerous to health or safety.
(e) Exigent circumstances exist that preclude the obtaining of a court order, and there is probable cause to believe that the property is the proceeds of a crime or an instrumentality of a crime.
(f) The property is the subject of a prior judgment in favor of this state in a forfeiture proceeding.
snip

One would think that the property, a GUN, is dangerous to health or safety of at the minimum the DV victim, and certainly the police seeing as how the accused attacked them.

Huh. Well that should help her family understand the senselessness of allowing this guy to remain armed.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taketherisk
Back