778 users online (138 members and 640 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 41
  1. #1

    AZ - Randy Parscale, 10, Oracle, 7 April 1979

    31 years later, hope for a son

    More than three decades after the disappearance of her little boy, Peggy Foley still has hope.

    "I personally think there's more to it," she said. "It's not over."

    Foley hasn't seen her son, Randy Doyle Parscale Jr., since April 1979.

    Randy, then 10 years old and a third-grader at Roberts Elementary School, was hiking in Peppersauce Canyon near Oracle with his father and other family members when he ran ahead on the trail and disappeared from sight. For almost a week hundreds of searchers - on foot, on horseback, via helicopter and using search dogs - scoured the rough terrain on the north side of the Catalina Mountains. An Oracle man who was part of the search party died of a heart attack while looking for Randy.

    More: http://azstarnet.com/news/local/arti...466a9ed86.html
    Last edited by Kimster; 03-17-2013 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Featured cold case from 3/17/13 to 3/24/13

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,120
    Wonder where Frank Atwood was when Randy disappeared? He was a pedophile of both boys and girls, had kidnapped a boy in 1981, and then went on to kidnap and murder Vicki Lynn Hoskinson. Makes it seem more like a kidnapping since Charley Project says tracks were followed to a dirt road and then just stopped...like he had gotten into a car.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,101
    Here is more information from Porchlight International about Randy:

    Randy Doyle Parscale Jr.


    Left and Center: Parscale, circa 1979;
    Right: Age-progression at age 34 (circa 2003)


    Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

    Missing Since: April 7, 1979 from Oracle, Arizona
    Classification: Non-Family Abduction
    Date Of Birth: January 13, 1969
    Age: 10 years old
    Height and Weight: 4'6, 70 pounds
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian male. Brown hair, blue eyes.
    Clothing/Jewelry Description: Blue pants, a green jacket, and shoes with a bulls-eye pattern on the soles.


    Details of Disappearance

    Parscale was last seen hiking with his family in Peppersauce Canyon in the Santa Catalina Mountains near Oracle, Arizona Arizona on April 7, 1979. He wandered ahead of the rest of the group and has never been seen again. An extensive search of the canyon area did not produce any evidence as to Parscale's whereabouts.
    In 1985, a woman reported that she had found a dollar bill with the phrase, "I'm alive in Phoenix, Ariz. Help me. Randy Parscale" written on it. Police investigation of this lead turned up no evidence. In 1989, Parscale's family found out that a man using Parscale's Social Security Number (SSN) was working at a construction site in Phoenix. His father went to Phoenix to investigate and found out that the individual also fit Parscale's physical description. He was no longer employed at the site, however. The construction worker was never located and his identity has not been confirmed.

    Investigators are uncertain what happened to Parscale. His case is classified as a non-family abduction but he may have simply become lost in the mountains. His case is unsolved.

    Taken from: (Second post in thread)

    http://z10.invisionfree.com/usedtobe...showtopic=7765

    Interesting story about the woman in 1985 who found the dollar bill with Randy's name and a "help me!" message on it, in addition to the 1989 incident about the construction worker claiming to be using Randy's Social Security Number.

    I wonder how long those reports were investigated? One thing to question is what else did the woman and construction worker know in 1985 and 1989 respectively? Was the dollar bill that the woman alleged to have found collected by the police as evidence? If they could like that money to an article of clothing or shoes, or some microscopic piece of hair or skin through Randy's DNA, it would really help to determine if the dollar bill was in his possession. Do they have DNA on file for Randy?

    Satch

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Munich, Germany
    Posts
    117
    Well it seems that Randy was alive for a long period after he vanished (or perhaps even still is alive).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    313
    I see from this article on 13 April 1979 - http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...6996%2C1181905 - that the police gave his survival chances as "almost nil" however they did say there was speculation he got picked up on the road.

    I wonder if this case was well known in the area, if it became a famous schoolyard story and the dollar bill was a prank? I know that happened with Johnny Gosch and money with "Help Me -Johnny Gosch" turned up.

    The worker using the SS number in 1989 sounds more plausible and we can only hope it was Randy....

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Posts
    27
    The dollar bill that showed up with Johnny Gosch's name on it was real. By real, I mean that there really was a dollar bill that said, "I'm alive. John Gosch" that showed up in Sioux City, Iowa I believe. His mother believed it to be the real deal because she said it was written in his handwriting. I remember a news conference she gave showing the dollar to the press.
    www.petfinder.com Don't shop...adopt.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    up north
    Posts
    30,199

    Missing Child Case Still Unsolved 32 Years Later

    http://www.crimedognews.com/missing-...r/2812681.html

    AUGUST 25, 2011 12:09 PM

    Investigators close to solving case?

  9. #9
    Randy is our featured cold case from 3/17/13 to 3/24/13

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Niagara Frontier
    Posts
    373

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by Satch View Post
    In 1989, Parscale's family found out that a man using Parscale's Social Security Number (SSN) was working at a construction site in Phoenix. His father went to Phoenix to investigate and found out that the individual also fit Parscale's physical description. He was no longer employed at the site, however. The construction worker was never located and his identity has not been confirmed.

    Quote Originally Posted by ctaylor View Post
    The worker using the SS number in 1989 sounds more plausible and we can only hope it was Randy....
    Big red flag for me. How many 10 year old kids have their SS# memorized? That construction worker- if Randy- would have been 20 years old in 1989. Was a description of the man ever obtained?

    It is possible if the man was Randy that he could have gone and gotten a copy of his SS# but would have needed to provide proof of ID.

    Another possibility is that someone with access to a Social Security number data base got the number. Either for Randy himself, or for someone that remembered Randy's story and needed to get a false ID for someone.

    Also, looks like his Dad, a Viet Nam vet died in 2003 at the age of 59. RIP.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilda Swenson View Post
    Big red flag for me. How many 10 year old kids have their SS# memorized? That construction worker- if Randy- would have been 20 years old in 1989. Was a description of the man ever obtained?

    It is possible if the man was Randy that he could have gone and gotten a copy of his SS# but would have needed to provide proof of ID.

    Another possibility is that someone with access to a Social Security number data base got the number. Either for Randy himself, or for someone that remembered Randy's story and needed to get a false ID for someone.

    Also, looks like his Dad, a Viet Nam vet died in 2003 at the age of 59. RIP.
    Randy was born in 1969. Social security numbers were not issued to children in those days. It has only been in the past 20 years or so that the SSN has been required to claim a child as a dependent.

    So I'm guessing that the person who obtained the SSN in Randy's name was either Randy himself (which I doubt) OR someone who was an illegal / fugitive / identity thief who found the story of Randy, including his birthdate, and manufactured himself an identity. This used to happen much more often in the days before computers.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Niagara Frontier
    Posts
    373
    Quote Originally Posted by marycarney View Post
    Randy was born in 1969. Social security numbers were not issued to children in those days. It has only been in the past 20 years or so that the SSN has been required to claim a child as a dependent.

    So I'm guessing that the person who obtained the SSN in Randy's name was either Randy himself (which I doubt) OR someone who was an illegal / fugitive / identity thief who found the story of Randy, including his birthdate, and manufactured himself an identity. This used to happen much more often in the days before computers.
    Not common but I got mine in the early 70's and I'm not much older than Randy. If he hadn't yet had a SS# then one would have been issued requiring proof of ID and parent's ID if he was under 18. A manufactured identity of an adult 18 or over would be most likely scenario if it were faked .

    Which brings up how it was flagged. Was it because the name came up in a data base possibly from applying for the SS#? It would be helpful to know when and where the SS# was issued- date, location etc.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,101
    Quote Originally Posted by jashrema View Post
    Wonder where Frank Atwood was when Randy disappeared? He was a pedophile of both boys and girls, had kidnapped a boy in 1981, and then went on to kidnap and murder Vicki Lynn Hoskinson. Makes it seem more like a kidnapping since Charley Project says tracks were followed to a dirt road and then just stopped...like he had gotten into a car.
    Charlie Project says its possible that Randy got lost in the mountains or fallen down a mine shaft. However, I don't think so, because if tracks lead to a road and than stopped, my first instinct tragically is an abduction. I think most likely he got into a car. Unless we examine the thought of a rocky trail with prints leading to a paved road where he could have gotten lost. However, when tracks stop at a road, I think sadly a kidnapping more probable. How awful!

    Satch
    Last edited by Satch; 03-18-2013 at 04:11 AM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    S. Indiana
    Posts
    1,081

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    4,109
    Knowing the general area....I don't believe that he was kidnapped. It is very hilly, rocky, a lot of areas where someone could fall and hurt themselves and not be able to get out. I mean with the tire tracks I think abduction COULD be possible but....it is hard to tell either way.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.---Patrick Moynihan
    Living in the

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. KS KS - Randy Leach, 17, Linwood, 15 April 1988
    By ChaCha in forum 1980's Missing
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 11-27-2017, 12:03 PM
  2. WA WA - Christina White, 12, Asotin, 28 April 1979
    By SheWhoMustNotBeNamed in forum 1970's Missing
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-27-2017, 10:22 PM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-01-2017, 11:27 PM
  4. AZ Randy Doyle Parscale (10) - Oracle AZ, 1979
    By SheWhoMustNotBeNamed in forum Missing Children in America - A Profile
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-25-2010, 05:00 PM
  5. OH OH - James Silvers, 32, New Paris, 11 April 1979
    By Widow in forum Cold Cases
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-03-2007, 02:34 AM

Tags for this Thread