GUILTY IL - Cynthia Humphrey, 47, slain by coworker, Chicago Heights, 17 May 2010

Cubby

fly the W!
Reaction score
Dad gets custody of kids after mom charged with murder

Chicago Heights woman accused of stabbing co-worker 39 times

<!-- Module ends: article-header--><!-- Module starts: article-byline (ArticleByline) -->May 24, 2010<!-- Module ends: article-byline-->
<!-- Module starts: a-body-first-para (ArticleText) -->A father won full custody of his two children Monday after the mother was charged with first-degree murder, accused of stabbing a co-worker 39 times.
In March, Bryan Hill, 31, and Selisea Tyler, 26, had settled on joint custody of their children, ages 5 and 6, Hill's attorney Jeffery Leving said.
But all that changed when, according to Matteson police, Tyler killed her co-worker, Cynthia Humphrey, 47, on May 17 after the two had an argument at work.

Full article at link

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...custody-20100524_1_co-worker-custody-stabbing

Jeffrey Leving is a 'nationally' well known 'fathers rights' attorney. Part of his television advertisement includes his help with Elian Gonzalez's father winning custody of his son.

Is this good for fathers or 'dumbing down dads' -or- a reflection of what poor fathers really experience.

My immediate reaction, I was offended this was dumbing down dads.

While this might be better suited for discussion in the JR, I thought I would post here first.
And by here - I mean the circumstances under which the father won custody and a nationally well know attorney is being quoted regarding such circumstances is bizzare....
Not that the father won custody being bizzare.

Cubby
(Moderator)

<!-- Module ends: a-body-first-para-->

I don't know what the father was worried about... he had joint custody, so with the mother in jail on murder charges, common sense says that him retaining full custody would be a given.

In all honesty, I don't understand why there is an article about him getting full custody and a nationally known lawyer talking to the press about it. Is there something missing we don't know about? Was his parental rights an issue that was cause for concern before this? ETA: why did he need a notorious lawyer to get full custody?

Agree Elphaba. The article indicates they 'settled' on joint custody. I don't understand how the client 'won' anything. As the remaining custodial parent he would have been granted full custody automatically unless proven unfit.

From May 2010:

http://chicagopressrelease.com/news/prosecutors-woman-stabbed-disabled-co-worker-39-times

Tyler and Humphrey were co-workers at SouthSTAR Services &#8212; a center for the developmentally disabled &#8212; where they worked as part-time janitors. They were initially friends but their relationship began to deteriorate and the two had a heated argument at work, court records indicated.

Based on the the disruptions, both were reprimanded and suspended by their supervisor on Monday. Tyler was apparently angry at Humphrey and blamed her for the suspension, court records said. She went to Humphrey&#8217;s home with a knife from a butcher block.

When Humphrey arrived home on a special bus to compensate her disability, Tyler was waiting in the building&#8217;s vestibule, prosecutors said. She then stabbed her 39 times, court records said.

From June 2014:

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/...cle_333cdfd8-bc73-54cf-a5c0-519ae9b77eb7.html

A 31-year-old woman received a 25-year prison term this week after pleading guilty to a criminal charge related to the stabbing death of a co-worker.

Selisea Tyler, of Chicago Heights, appeared in court Tuesday before Judge Frank Zelezinski, where she pleaded guilty to one count of murder. Three other charges she was facing for the 2010 incident were dismissed in exchange for her guilty plea.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back