799 users online (163 members and 636 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    9,164

    Google Sued Over Walking Directions

    Rosenberg used her phone in January to download directions from one end of Park City to the other. Google Maps led her to a four-lane boulevard without sidewalks that was "not reasonably safe for pedestrians," according to the lawsuit filed by the Northridge, Calif., resident.

    The case has become a sensation on tech blogs, websites and cable television channels, with critics assailing the woman for ignoring her own safety to blindly follow online directions. Her lawyer, Allen Young, said the truth was different. http://www.4029tv.com/irresistible/23756771/detail.html
    She's got to be kidding!

  2. #2
    I wonder if this was before or after Google added this little disclaimer:

    "Walking directions are in beta.
    Use caution – This route may be missing sidewalks or pedestrian paths."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    10,165
    what would she have done prior to Google - sue the makers of a paper map she bought at a variety store?

    what's next, sue random people on the street for sending you left instead of right?

    it should be thrown out of court as frivolous and Google should sue her for causing damage to their reputation and then she should be ordered to pay restitution to the taxpayers

    I wouldn't argue with a criminal charge of mischief either

    yeah, I know I'm dreaming ...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    19,247
    However did people manage to get anywhere safely before there was Google to ask if it's safe to cross the street? Right, they had to look.

    I'm not sure there will ever be an internet reference source that will tell us accurately and in an up-to-date manner if it's safe to cross the street or if we will be
    struck by a speeding car on a pitch-black night
    like this lady was.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    53
    Hey, I didn't sue when they told me to swim across the Pacific to Hawaii.

    People are ridiculous.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    30,906
    "Jeeves", my GPS unit directed me to turn left at an intersection that would have sent me down a one way street....did I listen to him? Noooooooo!

    Geeesh!

    *There is no shortage of stupid!


    Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

  7. #7
    New Google directions for those who disregard personal saftey, common sense and or logic:
    Take baby steps to the left, spin 2 times quickly
    bend down and pick up your sign!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    7,376
    From the link in the OP:

    Rosenberg is seeking compensation for medical bills, plus more for lost wages and punitive damages. The lawsuit provided no other information about the woman, who has been misidentified online as a Los Angeles publicist by the same name.

    Young said the woman is a native of Northridge in her mid-20s and is unemployed. No phone listing could be found for her.


    How has she lost wages if she is unemployed?

    Oh, right, she was just about to apply for (and get) that great job that pays, like, $250K/year! Yeah, that's the ticket!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    36,310
    Might I suggest Ms. Rosenburg get her eyes off her lovely phone and all its little apps and simply watch where she walk?

    When I heard this story this morning I choked on my coffee. I haven't been so frustrated by a frivolous lawsuit since the McDonald's / coffee spilling lady.

    When will we all grow up and accept that sometimes, accidents are just that - accidents. With no one to blame (except maybe ourselves) when something doesn't go our way.

    No wonder half the world thinks Americans are stupid. Sheesh
    Websleuths now on Facebook

    Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

    mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    36,310
    Quote Originally Posted by angelmom View Post
    From the link in the OP:

    Rosenberg is seeking compensation for medical bills, plus more for lost wages and punitive damages. The lawsuit provided no other information about the woman, who has been misidentified online as a Los Angeles publicist by the same name.

    Young said the woman is a native of Northridge in her mid-20s and is unemployed. No phone listing could be found for her.


    How has she lost wages if she is unemployed?

    Oh, right, she was just about to apply for (and get) that great job that pays, like, $250K/year! Yeah, that's the ticket!
    Maybe her premise is that she was on her way to an interview that she was SURE to ace. lol. Either that or unemployment just ran out and some sheister actually convinced her she had a case.
    Websleuths now on Facebook

    Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

    mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth. Buddha
    Posts
    22,099
    Quote Originally Posted by tlcox View Post
    Might I suggest Ms. Rosenburg get her eyes off her lovely phone and all its little apps and simply watch where she walk?

    When I heard this story this morning I choked on my coffee. I haven't been so frustrated by a frivolous lawsuit since the McDonald's / coffee spilling lady.

    When will we all grow up and accept that sometimes, accidents are just that - accidents. With no one to blame (except maybe ourselves) when something doesn't go our way.

    No wonder half the world thinks Americans are stupid. Sheesh
    This event happened close to my house. When I read this story disbelief washed over me.

    Let me clear up a misconception even though it is off topic so forgive me.

    The "McDonalds Coffee" lawsuit does seem frivolous until the facts are known.

    Read about it here. After I learned the facts it totally changed my mind on the case.

    http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm

    This Google lawsuit however . . . Can't imagine anything coming out that would change my mind. Let's keep our fingers crossed that it gets thrown out.
    Websleuths is TEMPORARILY accepting donations.

    CLICK HERE
    to visit our GoFundMe page

    OR










  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    30,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricia View Post
    This event happened close to my house. When I read this story disbelief washed over me.

    Let me clear up a misconception even though it is off topic so forgive me.

    The "McDonalds Coffee" lawsuit does seem frivolous until the facts are known.

    Read about it here. After I learned the facts it totally changed my mind on the case.

    http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm

    This Google lawsuit however . . . Can't imagine anything coming out that would change my mind. Let's keep our fingers crossed that it gets thrown out.
    Exactly on the McDonald's coffee lawsuit. The law is a clear one and the establishment in question had been warned in writing twice before.

    The Google suit is a frivilous one and damages the claims of those who legitimately have fears that the various Google features like Street View are violations of rights to privacy.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    36,310
    lol, Thanks Tricia, our resident paralegal here at the office just schooled me on the McD's case. I stand corrected. Given the history of complaints and the "company decision" that to pay nuisance lawsuits would be cheaper than replacing equipment to end the problem, that does indeed change my perspective on that particular case.

    Still don't see where this lady has a case against google tho, their disclaimer is cleary present for all to read. My opinion stands on that one.
    Websleuths now on Facebook

    Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

    mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Around here somewhere
    Posts
    12,690
    If she is going to sue for every stupid decision that she herself makes, then why doesn't she just sue the city for not making every area pedestrian-friendly? I mean if you are going to try and milk someone for cash, at least do something productive with it.

    Oh wait, the city is likely broke and google is grossing bazillions...that explains her decision on who to sue. Duh, my bad.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

  15. #15

    I don't listen to anyone half the time and the other half I didn't know that I shouldn't of.

    If someone (google map) told me to jump off a cliff, I wouldn't do it even though (google is my friend). I know cause I was asked that question several times growing up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Man buys Google for $12 - until Google notices
    By zwiebel in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-04-2015, 07:43 AM
  2. She shoulda asked an emu for directions.
    By Steely Dan in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-09-2013, 11:02 AM
  3. Following Casey's directions
    By butterfly1978 in forum Caylee Anthony 2 years old
    Replies: 107
    Last Post: 09-05-2010, 10:24 PM